Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: I'm trying really hard here, but I'm driving myself nuts! Help!  (Read 352 times)

Offline deeferlynn

• Rec's: 2
  • Que sera, sera
    • Poke This Member
I'm trying really hard here, but I'm driving myself nuts! Help!
« on: January 02, 2013, 07:55:43 PM »
For the past few days my stomach hasn't been feeling the best-- kind of like indigestion. So I have some bland foods (toast, crackers, chicken noodle soup) and some ginger ale and tea. I then feel about an hour or so later, that I'm going to throw up. But I don't feel sick. It's like major panic attacks for about 5-10 minutes that come and then disappear. And then I feel alittle better. But my stomach still bothers me. I've tried pepto and that works. Till it stops. And because I've noticed that if I eat anything that's when my stomach starts to bother me, I haven't eaten anything today. But I feel about the same. Oh. And my mid-back hurts alot. So naturally, I'm freaking out that it could be stomach cancer. Or lung cancer.  I really don't know what to do. I read in the newspaper (well, not read the article, but noticed the headline) that the stomach flu is rampant in the area. But I've literally washed my hands to them being raw.

I apologize if this isn't coherent. I'm beside myself with worry because no one I've talked to seems to think anything is really wrong. And I don't want to go to the drs/hospital for fear that I catch something or worse. Please help?
Bookmark and Share
"Just a heads up: 90% of the things you worry about will never happen. 90% of the things that happen will never occurred to you."

Offline gcalex

• Rec's: 46
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: I'm trying really hard here, but I'm driving myself nuts! Help!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 08:00:17 PM »
How many catastrohpic illness fears have you posted about before that turned out to be absolutely false?  Have you gone back and studied those?  Maybe you should list them.  I politely suggest this is more of the same and that nothing is really wrong with you other than anxiety and disordered thinking. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 98
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 08:23:58 PM »
So naturally, I'm freaking out that it could be stomach cancer. Or lung cancer.  I really don't know what to do.

First, deeferlynn, take a deep breath or two—you're fine.

Secondly, what basis do you have, DESPITE the stomach yuckies you've been experiencing the last few days, to think that stomach or lung cancer is even a remote possibility?

When you get these fearful thoughts, you can either choose to indulge them and freak out choose to counter them with logic. Having a massive freak out about cancer does not HAVE to be your "natural" reaction. And even if it is, you don't have to give credence to it. 
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline evagisele

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 08:31:15 PM »
A few years ago, I had what you're describing. It went away on its own. I know it's easier said than done, but take some deep breathes, engage your mind on something else, and be patient with yourself.
Bookmark and Share

Offline deeferlynn

• Que sera, sera
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 06:07:34 AM »
Thanks guys for your blunt, yet kind words. It allowed me to take a step back and think/breathe/relax. I have been struggling with panic attacks more frequently since I haven't been feeling well and usually my first thought it to catastrophize any situation, regardless how minute it is, to be something much more and usually surrounding cancer.

Thanks again for your advice.
Bookmark and Share
"Just a heads up: 90% of the things you worry about will never happen. 90% of the things that happen will never occurred to you."

Offline Cattia

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 02:07:44 PM »
I had a weird stomach thing going on a few weeks back with cramps and lose stools every time I were anything. It lasted over a week and I was convinced it was some sort of cancer too but then I found out that several people in my area have had it and it was just a mild bug. Goes to show how HA can make you jump to the worst conclusions!
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 39
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 04:25:18 PM »
I have chronic stomach problems that the doctor calls IBS (translation: "I can't figure out what's wrong with you.  Sorry about the diarrhea.") and for me this is a normal day, LOL.  You don't have cancer :)  Chances are you picked up a stomach bug that irritated your stomach/intestine or ate something slightly bad that did.  Stick to the bland foods for the rest of the week and if you still feel crappy on Monday, try antacids.  I also recommend emetrol for nausea (though it's not safe for diabetics) - it changes the stomach pH and reduces nausea.  In my experience it works really well.  Stressing about stomach upset is a surefire way to make it worse, so try to stay calm :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline LindaRK

• Rec's: 35
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 05:12:11 PM »
Our bodies aren't perfectly synchronized machines - and being a female doesn't exactly help, either. :-)  Hormone changes at any age can do all sorts of weird things.

IBS can mimic alot of things and unfortunately, it's a diagnosis of exclusion (basically, they run a boatload of tests for other things to rules them out).  Been there, done that years and years ago.  The prognosis was "address your stress", which is the root cause of IBS.  Also, what alot of people don't realize is that IBS can be diarrhea OR constipation or both, off and on.  I have stomach problem alot - been going on for decades.  There are times when it bothers me, but I know it's the IBS and I address the stress or at least look at what's going on in my life and deal with it.  It also helps to stay away from spicy stuff, gassy foods and carbonated beverages while I'm having an "episode".

Having anxiety also means we deal with stress - ALOT.  So, having IBS sure seems like a logical conclusion when we're having issues like this.  I have periods where I can have stomach issues for a day or for weeks.  Usually, if it last longer than 2 weeks, I give myself permission to see a doctor, but generally when I make the appointment, it goes away in a few days.  So predictible ......
Bookmark and Share

Offline deeferlynn

• Que sera, sera
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 03:24:52 AM »
Hey everyone! thank you so much for your comments.
After about 4 days of eating crackers and tea, I gave in to eating something-- soup and some fish. Even though my stomach still felt funky, I told myself that by restricting to just crackers wasn't going to help me be healthy. And, all is well. While I have been having major panic episodes after eating because I start overthinking what could happen, I now can identify. Instead, I'm trying to ward of a head cold. But keeping up on my echinacea to lessen the effects.

Thanks again!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: