Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Suggestions/Advice please.....  (Read 667 times)

Offline aunjypoo

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Suggestions/Advice please.....
« on: January 02, 2013, 08:13:30 AM »
I'm still convinced I have Parkinson's. I'm needing advice/reassurance before I lose my mind..
1. Shaking hands when I hold stuff or have hands at certain positions. Left hand noticeably woese than right
2. Almost every muscle is rigid, by that I mean when I bend over my back kind if jerks, my thighs do it when I kneel down, right now my legs are doing it standing up, my ankles do it when I rotate them. My shoulders when I left my arms above my head
3. I occasionally feel unbalanced and uncoordinated.
4. My mouth feels weird and one side if my top lip kooks different than the other.
This all started within the last few weeks and I'm losing my mind.
I'm 20 years old but I've read all kinds of stories as far as people in their twenties getting it.
I'm not sure how the onset is though as far as severity of symptoms.

Any help/advice/suggestions to keep me from going to yet another doctor for yet another supposed chronic illness would be very helpful.
Bookmark and Share
Aunjypoo

Offline gcalex

• Rec's: 46
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Suggestions/Advice please.....
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 08:37:27 AM »
Based on your last thread, it seems clear your MIND started to create these symptoms once your normal MRI freed you from whatever your prior fear was.  You are in a state of heightened, obsessive attention now, any of us could do that and come up with 20 things that feel off and weird.  You have an anxiety disorder.  Stop monitoring every movement, you are only going to make yourself sick.
Bookmark and Share

Offline aunjypoo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 11:09:48 AM »
I went to urgent care clinic last night.. And after hearing about my unbalance, jerky muscle movement (I told him it was all over my body but he only observed the motion my ankle was making, and reassured me it was not cogwheel rigidity as seen in Parkinsons), and shaking. Th dr decided I have essential temor (my dad has it, no biggee).. Then he checked my knee reflexes and my legs shot out.. He said that could be a sign I have a magnesium deficiency.. So he ran a CBC checked my potassium, magnesium, and thyroid.. I was almost anemic, but not quite, I had low potassium (normal is 3.6-5.9 and mine was 3.4 so not super low but low nonetheless.
From what I gather Magnesium deficiency can cause muscle problems (twitching, jerking, tightness, aches, pains), as well as anxiety, insomia...

He said since I am pregnant that could be the reason I am deficient. I also was a bit dehydrated because when she went to take my blood it took fooooorever and then the needle started sucking on my vein and now I am left with an ugly painful knot.
Bookmark and Share
Aunjypoo

Offline aunjypoo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 11:11:42 AM »
I also read that magnesium deficiency can cause anxiety and depression, and irritability.
Bookmark and Share
Aunjypoo

Offline aunjypoo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 12:10:23 PM »
Well lovely.. I just learned that hyper reflexes are a sign of ALS.
Bookmark and Share
Aunjypoo

Offline MOchp

• Anxiety Magnet
  • Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Cold
    Cold
  • Living in Fear of My Own Body
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 02:08:56 PM »

The chances of getting ALS at normal age range is  2/100,000 ( 0.002% ). The chances of getting it under 38 are around 1:165,000,000. It is rare to begin with and then you figure in that getting under the age of 38 is extremely rare. Magnesium deficiency is a common occurence. Which one do you think you should be focusing on?
Bookmark and Share

Offline aunjypoo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 02:20:14 PM »
Probably the Magnesium Deficiency, but as I am not sure that's what it is since the results are not in I can't help but worry... You can't find much on hyper reflexes other than ALS on the web.
Bookmark and Share
Aunjypoo

Offline gcalex

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 02:30:00 PM »

If you Google, you are going to get scared, as night follows day.  There is not a symptom on earth that is not associated on the internet with some catastrophic disease. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline aunjypoo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 03:32:58 PM »
I'm aware of that.. ANd my harmless Magnesium Deficiency search turned bad quick.
I've been doing silly things all day like walking heel to toe, jumping on one leg, balancing on one leg, hop scotching, changing directions quickly, it all seems normal, but I feel wobbly when I walk for some reason.. Or like my feet belong to someone else like they bump into eachother or feel jerky if im just moving my legs.
Bookmark and Share
Aunjypoo

Offline gcalex

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 03:48:25 PM »
Well you know as well as I do you need to stop the self-checking and obsessing, what good is coming of it?
Bookmark and Share

Offline aunjypoo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 03:54:45 PM »
A hope for reassurance, of course. It just happens to be the opposite. Or I can convince myself, but then I won't believe it.
Yesterday after the doctor said "You do not have Parkinsons, that's silly to even think" I was the happiest I have been in so long.. I took his diagnosis of possible magnesium deficiency with normalcy. Then I started to think well if its not that then what on earth would be causing all of this if it isnt a tumor, MS, or Parkinsons.. Naturally ALS comes in to play because I told myself I WOULDN'T google it for fear of having the symptoms and it came up with a magnesium deficency website and it's become my latest obsession.. I said to myself, I would 1000000 x's rather have MS and accept it with a smile than have ALS. I guess because ALS is a death sentence primarily.

I guess worst case scenario if I worry about it I would know if I had it fairly quickly because it seems as if peopel deteriorate pretty fast when that's the case.

Bookmark and Share
Aunjypoo

Offline gcalex

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 04:00:18 PM »
I would bet all I own you don't have ALS.  Nobody here who thinks or fears they have it ever has it.  If you were reading someone else's thread you would tell them the same thing.  t's just your mind thinking distorted thoughts.  I would really try to stop all the obsessive self-checking and just let your body do its thing.  Trust the medical advice and don't keep questioning it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline aunjypoo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 04:36:30 PM »
Well that is certainly reassuring. I know the liklihood is very slim. And like I said I know a lot of people say just one day they have total weakness in one limb cant pick up a coffee mug or turn a key just out of the blue.
I don't think I would feel weak and tired in both legs. and have problems with both feet.
Or even so it would have been more severe than just slight weakness or something. Plus leg pain isn't associated with ALS best I have read so the fact that my legs have pain is reassuring as well.
Bookmark and Share
Aunjypoo

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 05:23:52 PM »
If the doctor said you don't have to worry, you don't have to worry :)  The simplest explanation is usually the best one!  And it's easy to become deficient in anything; most people don't eat adequate diets now because so much food is available that doesn't contain anything good!
Bookmark and Share

Offline floridaguy65

• Rec's: 174
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 05:34:52 PM »
He said since I am pregnant that could be the reason I am deficient.

Also, being pregnant has your bod ripe with all kinds of changes in your body (and brain) chemistry. Your anxious concern over your own health is, likely, dwarfed by your panicked concern over the health of your baby and your worry that you won't be around to see your child grow up. Well, you WILL be around to see your beautiful child grow up...and you'll, hopefully, get on a healing path for your anxiety issues and learn how to live in better accord with your makeup. Never resign to being dominated by anxiety....we do not have to be defined by anxiety:)

Nothing you said in your posts strike me as odd, unusual or puts you in imminent peril. I've been an anxiety peep for over 27 years now (since diagnosis) and I have been involved in quite a few forums and in-person support groups. I have even started and facilitated a support group myself many years ago. I'm no doctor (far from it:) and I'm not a trained mental health professional, but I do know anxiety and HA...if I can say so myself, humbly:) In all those years of my being 'involved' with anxiety, I have yet to see ONE person, who had physical manifestations (symtpoms) that could be ALS or Parkinsons and they TRULY believed they had something sinister going on in their bods, actually have what they feared. ZERO, ZIP, NADA. Now a couple times I have interacted with a person who had MS and they ALSO had anxiety disorder(s) / HA. But, oddly enough (not really, though:), their fears were never ever about MS. And, they, actually, faced their challenges and did what they needed to to do, with little anxiety, in order to give themselves the best chance of living well with MS.

My mom has MS - has for over 30 years. She has done better handling the angst and anguish far better than most HA peeps, who only believe they have it. But, then again, she doesn't have HA:) She still is doing pretty darn well:)

I have to run...but I will come back as I have a few more thoughts I wanna throw out there:)

What is going on in your anxiety help?

Peace and Feel Well:)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: