Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Panic over going to the movies :/  (Read 682 times)

Offline greenzebra

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Panic over going to the movies :/
« on: December 20, 2012, 12:26:01 AM »
Ever since the Aurora shooting, I get on the verge of a panic attack whenever I think about going to the movies. I saw a movie a month ago with my friends, and I was really tense for part of the movie just because I was so afraid something like that was going to happen. I'm also worried about the same thing this Friday...I'm planning on going to the movies with my boyfriend, but with everyone worrying about the end of the world I'm afraid that people will go crazy and something like that might happen. :/ Does anyone else have similar worries?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Danielle B

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Panic over going to the movies :/
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 01:41:29 AM »
Hi there Greenzebra,
I too have issues with going to the movies, I am fine and happy while planning going to the movies, but by the time we wait to buy tickets I can start to feel a little anxious, and usually just at the film is about to start and the lights go down is when I start to get trigger signals of an attacks. My usual first sign is getting hot. Sometimes I can talk myself down from an attack once I register what is happening, but only if there is no other external pressure (i.e driving or someone asking me to do something immediately). Having something cold to hang on to also helps. A drink or frozen coke.
Is your boyfriend aware of your anxieties over going to the movies? Could you possible change the venue of your date? Rent a movie instead?
Bookmark and Share

Offline JustWant2bWell

• Mood: Cold
    Cold
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 10:42:16 PM »
Pls refrain from remaining fearful of things you used to enjoy.  Since the time of this message maybe things have subsided from.  If not, take small steps as you know you can be comfortable with taking in desensitizing this new phobia lest it digs it's clutches in :/ 

In regards to similar worries? Sure, I'd imagine anyone could become susceptible to becoming phobic of something due to the idiot box (media).  Often times it's used to persuade the mass media off of real issues that a particular country would rather not talk about.  But when things like the movie incident happen and hit home, and now even more recently the Sandy Hook tragedy, I would say it's safe to assume millions of parents and families with members in the elementary educational field have similar new found worries as you feel with movies, in response to your question. Hth.

Bookmark and Share
"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."

Offline greenzebra

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 12:38:04 AM »
I went to the movies and everything was fine, I was just really tense when the lights dimmed and during the first half of the movie. I fought off a panic attack though, so I was able to kind of overcome it. My boyfriend doesn't really know about it, because he already knows other things about my anxiety and I hate to worry him that things constantly freak me out. Thanks for the advice though, both of you!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Evap

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 01:16:47 AM »
Oh man I wish I could explain how much I identify with movie panic. I had my first severe anxiety attack in a movie theatre and it took me MONTHS to be able to even think about going to the movies. I still get nervous about it a little bit.
Bookmark and Share

Offline angielee

• Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 07:13:46 AM »
If my anxiety is heightened then movies do tend to bring my anxiety up more. But im not worries about something happening. Its the loudness and in your face action that is hard for me to deal with.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MrMoleHill

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • I look, therefore I find.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 03:29:41 PM »
I have a panic attack nearly every time I go into the movie theatre. Sometimes I wonder if it's due to buyer's remorse, considering what I just spent on tickets, popcorn, and drinks. Seriously, much of my anxiety stems from financial insecurities, and spending is a trigger.  It's strange, but, if I have a bottle of water to sip on, it seems to keep me in the moment and help thwart the panic symptoms.  I have to sit on the end seat.  Otherwise, I can feel myself getting vertigo and feeling the need to get the heck out of there.

I also get this type of panic attack after eating in a restaurant, not during.  It's right around the time to pay the check. It's like I can't sit there and wait, and again, I just have to get the heck out.  Once I gave my debit card to the people I was with, told them to just pay and sign my name. I ran to the car and was able to calm down.
Bookmark and Share
We are all walking through the Valley of the Shadow of Death

Offline Marie231

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 04:24:47 PM »
I find it helpful to have a bottle of water when I am in a situation that could cause panic. I will sip on it when I start to feel "trapped." The distraction is helpful for me. It has kept me from running out of many places.

Bookmark and Share
Tact is seeing others as they wish to be seen.

Offline SarahMcKinney82

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 04:51:53 PM »
I felt the same way after the Aurora shooting...I REFUSED to go see Dark Knight Rises in theaters! For a while I would only go see movies that wouldn't attract a violent element, and even then very rarely. Eventually I found that going with large groups of friends, and kind of having an 'exit plan' put me at ease. If it is a really good movie, I find myself engrossed and stop caring.

You could always go during a Wednesday morning matinée, less chance of incidents happening :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline summer17

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 03:03:56 PM »
wow I thought I was the only one with this phobia. I just feel trapped, sitting on the aisles helps but it doesn't always prevent an attack.
 I'm way worse in actual theatres because you have assigend seats and usually can't sit on the aisle. It sucks cause I live outside NYC and we go into the city a lot to see Broadway shows. But I just panic for three hours and I feel like it's such a waste of money when I can't even enjoy it! I had a massive attack during a Cirque du Soliel show in Vegas once and almost walked out, the only thing that kept me there was knowing how much I spent on the tickets :/
Bookmark and Share