Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Moving anxiety :(  (Read 337 times)

Offline sarahjade

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Moving anxiety :(
« on: December 19, 2012, 03:41:15 AM »
Hi all,

I have been a sufferer of panic disorder since early childhood. I am 18 and have just finished school. I live in a small town and I am about to move to a big city, go to university, start a job and learn to support myself. I'm going by myself and leaving behind my boyfriend and friends- my main support network for anxiety. I know it's the best move for me to take for my future and I am excited, but I'm also terrified.

I'm leaving in two weeks, and I've had agoraphobia and panic attacks repeatedly for two weeks already. What's worse, there are a lot of people that want to catch up with me before I leave, so I'm constantly under more pressure.

Some advice would be really appreciated, this is the most stressful time of my life so far. I've talked to friends about it but I thought that no one would be able to relate like fellow anxiety sufferers.

Thank you,

Sarah
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 161
    • Poke This Member
Re: Moving anxiety :(
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 06:08:36 AM »
Moving is always a big thing. Especially for an agoraphobic. I think us agoraphobics don't like change in our lives. Our life is as it is. We are used to certain people. Certain places we may dare to go. Now they are all been taken away from you. To be replaced by strange and new things. I am sure you can adapt over time. But it is kind of like a child having their safety blanket taken away from them. They just have to get used to whole idea. To been without that item that normally brings them safety. It will be a massive change at first. But just try and take it slowly. One step at a time. Don't jumps weeks ahead of yourself. Try and stay in the moment you are at. I do understand everybody wanting to say goodbye to you. Can be a bit draining. Few excuses might come in handy. To just keep yourself preasure free. Tell them you are up to your eyeballs with the move. Time is something you have very little of right now. You will try and see them. But you can't make any promises at all. Hope things work out for the best for you.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline floridaguy65

• Rec's: 174
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 08:48:14 AM »
Great advice from Cuch:)

You're gonna do just fine. As mentioned, try not to worry too much about how you're gonna cope with everything. Face the tasks at hand....don't avoid (because of your panic issues)...and you can work your way through each and every step of the process. This is a big time for all peeps your age....exciting and scary, at the same time. I bet your feelings are closer (than you think) to what most peeps experience during this phase of their lives....I remember being pretty freaked out (but excited:) way back when I moved away for college. Don't let you having a history of anxiety / panic make you think you can't do this....you can. You have accomplished MUCH to date as you were learning how to live in better accord with your mental health challenges. Nothing has changed - you will accomplish much more - and you know more about how to interact with your anxiety issues....what to do and what not to do:) Best wishes:)

Peace and Feel Well:)
Bookmark and Share

Offline josho18

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 05:33:20 PM »
I know exactly how you feel SarahJade.

My job requires me to fly all over the country and the world.  It's great experience for someone as young as I but the catch is that I always get anxious and get myself into a depressed mess when I leave home and loved ones.  Last year I left home 30+ times.  The longest I was home was only 2 weeks. Before that it was 1 week, and before that it was 2 days.  The longest I was away from home was 4 months and that was really tough.

Today I fly off again only for 2 weeks but my mind thinks its forever.  I did this trip 12 times last year.

My friends constantly ask me where I am and when I'll be home.  Here are my tips.

• Plan out the next 2 weeks on who and when you're going to see.
  • when seeing your friends and family, just relax and enjoy every minute of it.  When your by yourself, you'll look back on these happy memories.
  • Stay in constant contact with friends and family.  I ring my family on a regular basis.  It's good to hear their voice and know they are taking time out to talk to you.  ***** is also very good.  Some of my friends regularly message me on ***** just to see how I'm going.  I'm sure you'll get plenty of thoses.

Hope this helps.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: