Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: New member, new sufferer. Looking for support  (Read 387 times)

Offline justintm

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
New member, new sufferer. Looking for support
« on: December 04, 2012, 10:18:32 AM »
I have been suffering with really severe anxiety and panic attacks for at least 2 weeks now.  Went over a week with no sleep at all except for an hour or two sweaty naps on some nights.  I was given Xanax to take as needed (try not to take it) and Ambien (which only helps me fall asleep, not stay asleep), and now on Lexapro for 4 days.

It all started while I was travelling in Thailand alone.  I got sick and had some various health issues that I had to take some time in treating (trying different antibiotics).  I started feeling better and then all of a sudden one night was feeling anxious while out with some people I met.  I went back to my room feeling weird, assuming it was the antibiotic i was on (Flagyl) to treat intestinal issue.  I noticed I had some slight pain in my mouth so I checked it out in the mirror and saw I had some sores.  I was immediately overwhelmed with the sight of yet another symptom after all my time with various ailments, and I had a huge onset of anxiety and panic.  I booked a ticket back to Bangkok and went to a hospital the next morning.  They did some tests and everything came back fine.  So that night I continued with my antibiotic, feeling relieved and in the evening suffered a severe panic attack and ended up in the ER.  I went to the hospital numerous times after and eventually changed my flight and came home early and saw my doctors here.  I am still having tests done but so far, no signs of anything.  But my anxiety in UNCONTROLLABLE.  I constantly have a knot in my stomach and feel my heart beating, sometimes racing, sometimes normal.  I hate being alone, yet am nervous to talk to my friends and tell them what has happened to me.  I avoid thinking about the trip (which is hard, I was away for 2.5 months) but the anxiety is there even when I dont think about it.  My body is sensitive and I'm so tired but can't stay asleep! Its also hard to describe the sensation that comes over me with the anxiety, like a terrible taste in my body accompanying the intense anxiousness.  I was so worried about my health and that I was going to die while I was away and never see my family again.  Now I'm home and I'm just so worried that I will feel like this forever.

Throughout my life I have had a few panic attacks.  For certain I can only remember 2.  Once when I was 17, once about a year ago.  I am 23 now.  They both happened waking up from a nap and lasted about 10 minutes and then were completely gone, with no other signs of them.  But otherwise have always led a normal life, living and working on my own with great friends and family.  I have seen a psychologist on and off for the last few years for some anxiety, but nothing like this, nothing debilitating, just some mild anxiety around social things.

I so desperately want my life back.  The way I feel right now is so debilitating.  I don't want to do anything while at the same time I hate just sitting here with this anxiety.  Plus I can't stop thinking about how normal I was before, just a few weeks ago.  How did this happen? Will it ever get any better?

Just introducing myself and looking for support or advice.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sdjw37

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: New member, new sufferer. Looking for support
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 08:52:00 AM »
It is debilitating... the two worst things in this world is anxiety and addiction. addiction really being easier to over come than anxiety .. I know were not talking about addiction, just saying. I have had anxiety for a long time and recently gotten worse since I have moved. Being alone is the worst. It comes on all of a sudden and is horrible. I have some health issues that don't get better (stage 3 kidney disease) because of that I have come off allot of medications and have been having a hard time dealing with everything. Self Help ... Really helps. I am learning how to help myself. It is very hard, but it can be done. Maybe ask your psychologist for pamplets or something you can read over and over to help yourself.

Bookmark and Share

Offline konwayeast

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 12:01:56 PM »
You've simply picked up some bad habits in how your brain responds to and thinks about things. You've been conditioned to respond to certain stimuli in an inappropriate manner.
The truth is you are not all that different from where you were when you felt "normal." The difference is that now you are paying much closer attention to and probably believing any negative thoughts that pop into your head, because you believe you have to be prepared for any negative situation that might arise.
The good news is that it anxiety and panic are very treatable. One option, as you've seen, is medication like Lexapro. If you give it a few weeks to begin working, it will probably help you to stop putting so much weight on those negative thoughts in your head. The other option is CBT, a type of therapy meant to expose you to your dysfunctional thinking and make it functional again. Both are effective and can definitely be used together.
For now, next time you have some anxious thoughts or feelings, try and establish what they are as specifically as you can. If you can do that, you can begin to examine why they are probably very unlikely to be true. At first, you will have a strong inclination to believe and even justify them, as unlikely as they may be. However, the sooner you start recognizing them, the sooner you will realize that they are just thoughts and not facts. Remember, just because you believe in the Tooth Fairy when you are little does not mean that it is a real person. The money under your pillow doesn't prove anything.

Either way, being here and realizing it is just anxiety is a great first step. There is no reason that you can't feel normal again in a short time:)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Aussiemix

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 06:16:22 AM »
Sounds familiar, I had a major anxiety breakdown two months ago and now can't think about things prior to this without setting it off again. Seems Im avoiding anything that might be linked with the anxiety... I haven't even played a computer game since then and I used to love playing... But now just firing up the game makes me shake.
Bookmark and Share

Offline M@ndyb

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 08:15:53 PM »
I am new to all this myself.. I never had a panic Attack until a couple of weeks ago.. Your post sounds so familiar I to got sick on vAction all I wanted to do was fly home but couldn't because I thought I was dying..it will get better, when all your test are done  it gives you a lil piece of mind. Mine also started out with sickness and I just freaked out and thought I was having a heart attack.
Bookmark and Share

Offline B-Rye

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 07:55:05 PM »
Hi Justintm- Anxiety is a vicious cycle, and often creates symptoms in your mind that dont really exist.  During one of my worst bouts, I convinced myself I had testicular cancer.  I had constant testicular pain, and I convinced myself of the worst case.  After having a bunch of tests done which were normal, it slowly dissipated.  I have found the thing that ramps up my anxiety more than anything else is sleep issues.  Your brain and body need the rest from the constant state of alert you are under when anxious.  The medication that works best for me in this regard is seroquel.  Its used as an anti-psychotic, but is extremely sedating.  At the right dose, it will knock anyone out for extended periods.  There is a good chance of hangover the next day if you take too much, but its worth asking your doctor about.  When my anxiety and sleep issues get bad, I take 25mg and always sleep 8-10 hours (with grogginess the whole next day usually).  Hope this helps.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: anxiety GAD panic