Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Hello All, I think I have health anxiety?  (Read 254 times)

Offline WorriedGirl

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hello All, I think I have health anxiety?
« on: December 03, 2012, 09:31:43 PM »
Hey guys, heres a little about me:
I was the happiest most carefree 22 year old girl you would ever meet in your entire life-until I started having pelvic pain and was diagnosed with a very mild form of pudendal neuralgia (probably from horseback riding so much)-that my doctor even told me he thinks will go away with a short recovery period.
Instead of just being happy with that I OBSESSED over it-read about all the worst case scenarios on the lovely internet and became so stressed and pessimistic about my future.
A few days into this intense worrying/obsessing I got a tingling feeling down my left leg during one of my crying spells, got on google and decided that I must have some horrid neurological disorder. This brought on all of these fun symptoms; mostly these are just really bad during periods of stress/obsessing but sometimes they're random

-Leg tingling- mostly in left leg sometimes in my right that goes away when I move my leg
-feeling of carpal tunnel in my wrists
-random pains in the joints of my fingers
-HEADACHES
-my muscles in my arms feel sore
-sometimes I feel like a bug is crawling on me for a second...but there isnt one
-certain sounds making me get the "nails on a chalkboard" feeling
-I feel like I'm going to cry randomly
-I don't want to be alone (I'm usually very independent)
-Random pains that move around
-Im jumpy
-Can't focus on anything...besides using my WedMd PHD  :(
-I get cold, especially in my hands and feet

have you guys experienced these types of symptoms from anxiety? I got my vitamin B checked (should have gotten D checked to) along with a bunch of other tests that all came back good. My doc prescribed some really low dose xanax that takes the edge off and made me an appt with a neurologist when I get home for Xmas break. This is the first time anything like this has happened to me and I am SCARED. The worst this is the one thing I want to do that cheers me up is ride my horses...which Im not supposed to do until my pudendal neuralgia symptoms are gone for awhile so as not to aggregate the nerve.
I hate feeling like this   :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 168
    • Poke This Member
Re: Hello All, I think I have health anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 06:13:40 AM »
Welcome to the forum. Good to have you as a member. What you descibe can be symptoms of anxiety. We read them every day of the week. You say, you think you have health anxiety. Does this mean nobody has ever told you that you do have it. Doctor wise? Therapist or anybody like that. That would be the right route to take. Get the right sort of help. No matter how bad it seems, there is always a road back. We just have to believe in ourselves. We are always here for support. Good chatroom too. 3 posts to enter. Enjoy the forum.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline peachy31

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 06:03:22 PM »
Hello,
You are not alone, I can relate to how you're feeling. About 18 months ago, I had one mild symptom (my thumb twitched) which snowballed into me being convinced I had MS or Parkinsons. One of my best coping mechanisms is acceptance. When symptoms start, I tell myself it's anxiety and it will pass. And if that doesnt work I get my partner to tell me until I believe it.

Also, check your symptoms in here, NOT on google

Checking symptoms on google will only make things much worse.

Remember, you are not alone :-)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hton24

• ~hypo~
  • Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 10:01:11 PM »
Welcome to the site.... I hope this site helps you find your way back to a Normal happy life ....
Bookmark and Share

Offline WorriedGirl

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 12:17:08 AM »
Thank you all for your kind words and welcome messages!
peachy31- I think that is wonderful advice! and when I got the urge to google today I just read things on here...surprise surprise my symptoms have quieted down, especially when I remind myself that it probably is not a coincidence that my symptoms become more prevalent when I think about them...
Cuchculan- my primary doctor told me she believes that I have health anxiety and that if it continues to she'll find me a really good therapist. She thinks I've had small periods of it for the past couple years.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Mr. Shade

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 04:42:37 PM »
I'm new here too. Anxiety can affect the body in a number of ways. I see a shrink, and so far it helps. But it's something we gotta (at least I) work at a lot.
Breathing techniques help.

Glad to join this site and meet people with the same experiences
Bookmark and Share

Offline sathya

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 07:51:38 PM »
Hi all I am new here, have had anxiety since Paxil stopped working for me 7 years ago, I was maxed out at 50mgs. That is a whole other story.My doc put me on Lexapro after a couple of months of hell getting off the Paxil. It helped for a while.
It seems that anxiety and health anxiety go hand in hand. I was sure I was dying of some awful disease a lot of the time, until i finally realized it was hypochondria and began to give myself "reality checks".
It still lurks in the background though, every once in a while.... :angel-smiley-006:
A thyroid check wouldn't hurt, Worriedgirl.... although the treatment options are very narrow.
Being new here I am a little confused by the timelines, I notice some posts are years old!
I am hoping to learn a lot here...I am anxious to get off medication. The citalopram works just OK, (switched from Lex because of the high cost)I still have intrusive frightening thoughts and have to really work on not being obsessive about issues.
I am 60 years old ( am I really?? :yes:) married, a mom and grandmom and living with this sucks. love these emoticons!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: Health Anxiety