Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety and GERD... I need your guidance.  (Read 548 times)

Offline GabbyMomof3

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
    • Poke This Member
Anxiety and GERD... I need your guidance.
« on: November 28, 2012, 07:58:02 PM »
So, today led me to the ER again because of chest pain and backpain. Turns out my EKG came out clean, again, as well as my ex-ray. So the ER doctor said it was GERD. I've been doing fair with my anxiety. Haven't taken a pull in about two months, but now this sprouts and I'm still scared. I have a heart anxiety, so this new thing freaks me out.

Anyone dealing with both anxiety and GERD? If so, how do you cope and not freak out when there's that chest discomfort?

Some personal info: I am obese, but I've been taking care of that. Lost 15 pounds in about six months, eating MUCH healthier, and doing things naturally. I don't have health insurance, so this is difficult.

Basically, I'm just looking for some comforting words, some guidance so I don't go crazy.

Thank you.
Bookmark and Share
I am strong. I am beautiful. I am worth it.

Offline GabbyMomof3

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety and GERD... I need your guidance.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 08:20:59 PM »
Oops, I meant pill, not pull.
Bookmark and Share

Offline GabbyMomof3

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 10:28:54 AM »
No one? :/
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ruby Ellen

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 12:25:57 PM »
When anxiety strikes (or chest pain strikes, which can also be a symptom of anxiety), try to go out for a brisk walk. I am constantly anxious about being sick and I've always found this to be a great strategy because if you really are sick, you won't make it 100 meters, whereas if you are well you'll feel better after a few hundred meters. The same would apply to heart problems (if you can walk okay there can't be much wrong with your heart). The trick is to keep walking even if you think you're going to die at first, because you will feel better after a little while. It may not get rid of the GERD problems but it will help you separate those problems from your anxiety. It's not a solution by any means, but it has been for me a helpful strategy for coping.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jenniferio

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 08:05:58 PM »
An old "cure" that I've always followed involves this:

I use the liquid, heavy duty anti acid, Gaviscon. 

When I get that REAL REAL scary center of the chest pain from GERD - I swallow 1 or sometimes if needed two large mouthfuls (who has time to mess with a spoon??) of the stuff and just wait.  Within 1 minute my scary "heart attack" pain is all gone.
What I read was if this procedure doesn't help and you wait for one minute and even have to try two mouthfuls - and you still have the pain - then go to the ER.
It works for me every time but it has to be the heavy duty liquid Gaviscon.  I always have a full bottle at home and even carry a small bottle with me at almost all times. 
I had a terrible incident one time while we were driving on vacation.  Stupidly I had eaten a handful of nuts on an empty stomach AND some of those mints that come in the metal box - forget the name.  OY - nuts and mints on an empty stomach.  OMG.  The pain!!!!!
My husband had to pull over and we were trying to figure out where the nearest ER was - in the middle of nowhere - when I remembered my Gaviscon solution.  I jumped out of the car and began pulling all my luggage out of the trunk - on a huge major highway with semi's roaring past me at a zillion miles an hour.  Finally I found it and slugged several mouthfuls down - pain all gone bye bye and we were able to resume our trip.   Never leave home without it (since.)
Bookmark and Share

Offline SilverSurfer

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 04:32:00 PM »
I have GERD and anxiety, my GERD has flared up again, I was googling and I ended up here. My doctor has switched me to prilosec to see if it helps, I've had GERD for about 5 or 6 years. When that chest pain hits of course at first you freak but then I collect myself, take a slow breath, take a zantac and remind myself how many times it has happened, and its ALWAYS been GERD.

I'm overweight too, I think that and the anxiety are the reason the GERD keeps coming back. I'm trying to lose weight but it's not easy.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Wishingforcalm2

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 07:11:52 PM »
I can't offer much in the way of a solution, but GERD has brought me to the ER many, many times thinking for sure it was heart attack pain.  I have a strong, Rx for Zantac (300mg 2 times a day) and it does help.  Sometimes I even use some malox for additional help if the discomfort is really bad. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline perpetualdrivel

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 12:41:39 AM »
Hello Gabby.

I have been through everything you are going through. Been to the ER countless times for a "heart attack" which turned out to be nothing more than a simple case of angina. This is how I helped myself. You have to realize and accept that the doctors are right. If there was something wrong they would have found it and attempted to fix it. They are doctors. Don't sit and worry about it because that only makes it worse. In my case on my last visit the ER doctor told me something that changed my life. He said, "Unless your chest feels like it's completely caving in and you absolutely cannot get a breath in, you are not having a heart attack. It is just your anxiety getting the best of you." I've learned real heart problems hurt, bad. I've been told it is the worst pain you can imagine. I know it is easier said than done but relief is as simple as not letting yourself worry so much.

For the people reading this that worry about heart attacks I have another little bit of advice that I learned. I will give a disclaimer that some of you may get anxiety by just simply reading what I'm about to say, but know I'm not saying any of this to worry people. It's just some nasty truths that you truly need to accept to move on. ...A heart attack isn't something you can really do anything about. There are ways to prevent them but in the end if it's your fate, it's your fate. It is something completely out of your control (and for me that is what was scary). But to sit and worry about it does absolutely no good. Instead of worrying about all those kinds of things live for the moment and just enjoy life. A sad but true fact is that we are all going to die at some point. Why spend the little time you have here worrying about things that are out of your hands? As dark as that may sound it was something that I forced myself to accept. When I finally gave up and accepted it I truly felt better.

As Bob Marley said, "Don't worry. Be Happy." Those are words to live by.
Bookmark and Share
It breaks the might of the gambler and capsizes the vessel that grips all desire.

Tags: