Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: What is your Religion and how does it help you with your anxiety?  (Read 4203 times)

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: What is your Religion and how does it help you with your anxiety?
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2013, 09:49:27 AM »
I believe in a higher power. I was raised Lutheran (Christian), and in general this is what I most identify with.  Which isn't neccessarily saying "yes I'm Christian" I am searching. I hadn't been very spiritual for a few years.  But with this crazy anxiety journey these last few months, I feel like I'm trying to find my spirituality. I'm journeying. Interestingly enough, I've been more intellctually driven lately too (whether it was a temporary side effect of the meds at the time, or the fish oils, or coincidence). So I've plans for reading up a lot on different religions/spiritual paths

So for me, I wouldn't say that my religion/spirituality is helping me cope with my anxiety. I would actually say the reverse, I think the anxiety disorder is helping me develop myself spiritually. Which is kind of neat, and gives me hope that there is some meaning to what I'm going through.  :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nevercalm

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2013, 10:37:10 PM »
In all honesty I am not sure what I am. This is a big subject between me and my family ( in a good way). I truly believe there is a God and that the bible is a guideline. I hardly ever go to church , which I do feel bad about but I have found that some of the worst people are sitting in the front row at church every Sunday. I also feel that I can walk out in the middle of a field and pray the same way people do in church. Also for me if im going to read something and believe it I want the real thing- which I know I will never get (talking about the bible) The bible has been written and rewritten so many times that I believe so much of it has been changed and manipulated over time ( what better way to control people. right?) So I feel that I am not reading what was exactly intended for us ( I still do read it I just feel like there is probably a lot missing or words have been manipulated to mean something different).... I go by 3 simple rules don't lie, don't cheat, and don't steal. Of course I falter every once and awhile but I learn from every mistake... I pray every night and I do feel that someone is answering my prayers. I pray for my anxiety to lift and it does work...I had such crippling anxiety one year that i picked up the bible and i read and i read until i found this and I actually smiled.. for the first time in a loooong time.

I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you eat or your body, what you will wear. Life is more than food and the body more than clothes. Consider the ravens: They do not sow nor reap, they have no storeroom or barn, yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds. And can any of you by worrying add a single hour to your span of life? If then you are not able to do so small a thing as that, why do you worry about the rest...
:)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Irish1

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2013, 01:25:28 PM »
I dont really think about religion or practice any, I have a liking for spirituality , I dont know if thats religion, I dont think it is
Bookmark and Share

Offline jessica92

• Jessica
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2013, 07:27:17 PM »
Thank you tinam7 for thanking me. :P I need to think up some of my own mantras. I've been trying to stay more positive and having some good ones would be helpful for me.

Irish1: I am a spiritual person too. :)
Bookmark and Share
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
- Albus Dumbledore

Online tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2013, 04:02:28 PM »
Do share what you can come up with. My first one was A P E S. Too embarrassed to say what it stands for.

Maybe someone can explain what is meant by being spiritual. That cell did not connect in my brain. Is it part of consciousness? Or what?
Bookmark and Share

Offline jessica92

• Jessica
    Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2013, 01:51:31 AM »
For me, spirituality is a fluid thing. I don't really connect with any one religion and find that I take things from various religions that I like. However, I also come up with some of my own ideas about the spiritual aspect of life. I don't consider myself religious, but I consider myself to be very spiritual.
I think generally when people describe themselves as religious, they are devoted to one religion. But when people describe themselves as spiritual they just do what feels right to them and find ideas they like from a lot of religious and sometimes have their own ideas about what happens after death, or other things like that.
I hope that clarifies things a little bit! I could probably say more if you want.   :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
- Albus Dumbledore

Online tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2013, 07:59:40 AM »
So it can mean a belief in an afterlife? Probably should read Marianne Williamson but doubt I could do it.

Generally can relate only to Buddhism as a philosophy. That First Noble Truth, Life is Suffering, is always soothing, esp. when the next Noble Truths tell us we can overcome suffering. The hope rests in us.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jessica92

• Jessica
    Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2013, 08:34:50 AM »
Yes, I think a lot of spiritual people believe in some sort of an afterlife. I'm not 100% sure on what I believe as far as death goes, but I do believe in some sort of spiritual unity & possibly something heaven-like as a resting place before going on to the next life.
Bookmark and Share
- Albus Dumbledore

Online tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2013, 04:43:34 PM »
Ahhh, yes, the afterlife. I have no interest in it whatsoever. Once I'm done with this one, I sure don't want another.

Would like to get out without some of the hideous suffering that can happen at the end. This preoccupies me almost daily esp. since I am not far from the exit. My life has been lived. Would spirituality help? How could it help practically? Sorry I'm relentless. You need not answer, of course.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jessica92

• Jessica
    Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2013, 08:18:03 PM »
Not everyone that's spiritual believes in an afterlife though. There can also be that "spiritual unity," basically meaning you're nothing but connected to everything in the universe at the same time.

It depends on the person. Some people are just not spiritual at all and that's okay. I think it can help practically, though. For me, it provides me with the idea that there's something enormous out there -- the universe -- and that I know I'll be connected to it. This feeling can help with my anxiety and depression.

You should try reading the Tao Teh Ching, the central Taoist text. It's very short. It gives an interesting perspective on the idea of the unity of everything. :)
Bookmark and Share
- Albus Dumbledore

Online tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2013, 07:23:19 AM »
Actually have the Tao Te Ching and will try and read it. Probably gave up earlier.

Thank you for reminding me of it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bittersweetlife

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2013, 09:21:09 AM »
My religion is Roman Catholic. Well i live in the Philippines so the vast majority in our country are mainly Christians especially Roman Catholic. When i was just a kid i remember when my mom told me that "Pray every night and day" Well to be honest my Religion also helped me dealing with my Anxiety especially attending a church mass every sunday and praying every night seeking for help with my Anxiety. My mom told me that you can Talk personally to God while you are praying. For some reason everytime i am on under pressure or stressed out I pray in front of Jesus Christ's altar for help and forgiveness, that helps me a bit. I even pray with my rosary beads

Or even sometimes i listen to Hillsongs related to God and Jesus Christ when i am on a "panic mode" or just Anxious.

:angel-smiley-006:

Bookmark and Share
"There's a time & a place to die.. but this ain't it"

Hakuna Matata - "It means no worries"

“Anxiety's like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you very far.” - Jodi Picoult, Sing You Home

Offline jessica92

• Jessica
    Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2013, 11:58:44 PM »
@tinam7: Oh, awesome! :) I love the passages so much.

@bittersweetlife: I get what you mean. I don't pray, but whenever I do something like meditation or something else that is spiritual, it really helps me. :)
Bookmark and Share
- Albus Dumbledore

Offline thunderbreak

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2013, 07:43:24 PM »
For me it's to come to terms with (Like the 1st poster) that all religions may come with some version of truth,but not all truths,and we must explore them.
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiousartist

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2014, 09:30:39 AM »
I try to live my life according to Norse Paganism. Among other things, I believe I must be heroic on the field of battle to impress the valkeries to be allowed to spend eternity in Vallhala.

How does this belief manifest itself in my life? I'm a surfer. Whenever I get anxious, for example, whenever it's big, I will say Vallhala, and this gives me the courage to be brave in the face of danger. For example, if I see a big wave building in front of me, instead of paddling for the shoulder, I'll say Vallhala, and I'll turn and paddle for the wave.
Bookmark and Share
I'm working on being happy with what I can do, rather than sad for what I cannot do

Tags: