Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Is this Social Anxiety or OCD or both?  (Read 837 times)

Offline PePep

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Is this Social Anxiety or OCD or both?
« on: November 05, 2012, 03:41:55 PM »
I'll try to explain. Every time I'm about to talk to somebody, I think to myself "I have an obsession with with speaking and it makes me not be able to socialize correctly", which is the obsession itself, if that makes any sense. Does that make sense? I think people with pure O will understand. If it doesn't make sense, tell me and I'll try to clarify. This is all I can think about the whole time I talk, and it makes me stumble on my words, not be able to think of things to say, and not be able to focus on what the other person is saying. Now, I don't talk to ANYONE AT ALL because of this problem. Sometimes I'll just freeze up for long periods of time in social situations.

I can't say anything because I know I can't say it
Bookmark and Share

Offline EclecticJoe

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Is this Social Anxiety or OCD or both?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 04:24:32 PM »
The interesting thing about intrusive thoughts are they are the furthest thing from who you are or what you believe. If you normally are very self confident and comfortable with communication, then it is your Pure O kicking in.

If instead you have had this problem for a long while, it sounds more like social anxiety.

Does this make sense?
Bookmark and Share

Offline PePep

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 05:34:02 PM »
How would you recommend solving this? You seem like you know what you're talking about.
Bookmark and Share

Offline EclecticJoe

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 06:52:55 PM »
There is a book called "Stop Obsessing" that you can pick up fairly cheap on Amazon that has some great techniques in it.

The best thing to do is to accept the thoughts and talk back to them. For example you may tell yourself "I could worry about not being able to talk but this is not really me, never has been, so I will speak freely and eloquently."

Understand the thoughts are not you but will pass in time.
Bookmark and Share

Offline PePep

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 07:19:41 PM »
So basically, every time my pure O comes up, I should do a positive affirmation, and tell myself "I speak eloquently and freely" ?
Bookmark and Share

Offline EclecticJoe

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 11:30:46 PM »
Yes just accept the thoughts. Make fun of them. Tell them this is just my OCD and not really me. It is awkward at first but gets better. Do this and also do things like talk to yourself in the mirror or on a tape recorder. This is a form of flooding where if you do it enough you will desnsitize the thoughts.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jake360

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 02:36:41 PM »
I have a similar problem. I obsess about what I want to say too much, and saying the wrong thing. I stumble on words, cant think clearly during a convo with someone I don't know, and once its over, I overthink about the situation and can't get it out of my head of what I should've said. Hope you find a solution that works for you, and if you do please share. I think it's really about understanding what the thought or obsession is, being a biochemical imbalance in the brain, then really trying hard to refocus onto something else.
Bookmark and Share

Offline TheDude817

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 12:21:06 PM »
I've recently had something like this too.  Lately I fear that I'll develop some sort of tourette's and I'll just randomly yell out something horrible and untrue, so it makes me have to be careful with every single word I say.  I'll also get anxiety about it and it can ruin an evening.  I used to calm these nerves with a drink or two,  but now I worry about getting too drunk and losing control of this "control" and yell out something horrible and have everyone around me think I'm a monster.

Its a self-confidence thing.  I used to never have this bad of anxiety, but its kicked up this past year or two.  I think its Pure O but maybe something else?
Bookmark and Share

Offline EclecticJoe

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 10:50:52 AM »
Sounds like Pure O to me. Same with self harm, harm to others, turning "gay", it's about your true self losing control and doing something that is against your nature.

Take your scenario of losing your sanity and saying something obnoxious or offensive. You have never done that before, right? So how is now any different other than the thought and the doubt is planted in your head. You have to desensitize the thought, Dude. Make fun of it. Accept the uncertainty.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: