Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Bats and rabies please answer!  (Read 1726 times)

Offline Amazingambino

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Bats and rabies please answer!
« on: July 01, 2012, 09:17:05 PM »
I am scared to death of contracting rabies from bats. I convinced myself everytime I went outside I was going to find a grounded rabid bat and it would somehow bite me. Anyways, a few days ago I was near the woods at night with my friend. I convinced myself that I had seen and touched a rabid grounded bat, even though when I rechecked the area I found nothing. I've replayed the scenario so many times in my head that the whole fact and fiction of the scenario is foggy in my head. I was so paranoid my one hand started to hurt a bit so of course I checked the hand for bat bite marks. I found several tiny red marks on different places of my hand, but my hands are usually red and splotchy anyways. But my anxiety seems higher then usual. I felt like crying about it and I just felt overwhelmed. I don't know if it has to do with this specific scenario though or if it is a combination of this and Pms and hormones. Anyways, im really scared. I keep imagining my death and even had a nightmare about rabid bats. Part of me says I would never touch a bat anyways, because they SCARE me, but the other part of me says I could've touched one if I was overwhelmed. Someone please reassure me. I am 14 years old and can't deal with this constant fear. It's ruining my life. I am . Would a bat bite be painful? Wouldn't my friend have noticed if I got bit? I suppose me looking up all these scary rabies stories on the Internet isn't helping with my anxiety either. Can HA really do all this to me? Please help!
Bookmark and Share
Feels like I'm going insane
Yeah
It's a thief in the night
To come and grab you
It can creep up inside you
And consume you
A disease of the mind
It can control you
It's too close for comfort

Offline Amazingambino

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Bats and rabies please answer!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 09:45:10 PM »
Somebody please help  :( Please somebody answer my questions above? Thanks & best regards ~Ambino
Bookmark and Share
Yeah
To come and grab you
And consume you
A disease of the mind
It can control you

Offline flipperk

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 12:03:43 AM »
I am scared to death of contracting rabies from bats. I convinced myself everytime I went outside I was going to find a grounded rabid bat and it would somehow bite me. Anyways, a few days ago I was near the woods at night with my friend. I convinced myself that I had seen and touched a rabid grounded bat, even though when I rechecked the area I found nothing. I've replayed the scenario so many times in my head that the whole fact and fiction of the scenario is foggy in my head. I was so paranoid my one hand started to hurt a bit so of course I checked the hand for bat bite marks. I found several tiny red marks on different places of my hand, but my hands are usually red and splotchy anyways. But my anxiety seems higher then usual. I felt like crying about it and I just felt overwhelmed. I don't know if it has to do with this specific scenario though or if it is a combination of this and Pms and hormones. Anyways, im really scared. I keep imagining my death and even had a nightmare about rabid bats. Part of me says I would never touch a bat anyways, because they SCARE me, but the other part of me says I could've touched one if I was overwhelmed. Someone please reassure me. I am 14 years old and can't deal with this constant fear. It's ruining my life. I am . Would a bat bite be painful? Wouldn't my friend have noticed if I got bit? I suppose me looking up all these scary rabies stories on the Internet isn't helping with my anxiety either. Can HA really do all this to me? Please help!

First off, welcome to the Zone!

Second, you would not be showing symptoms this early. Yes there are stories of people showing symptoms within days, but those guys were bitten on the head... "if" you were bit on the hand, you would more than likely be in the average zone for symptoms which is 3-7 weeks.

Third, when bats are rabid they are grounded for a reason... their brains are inflamed to the point where their mechanical abilities are non-existent... if you didn't find a bat on the ground when you went to inspect the area either A.) it flew away (thus not rabid) or B.) there was not a bat there to begin with.

I went through a rabies scare a few months ago so I know what you are going through. What really helps (especially with this disease) is to go to the doctor and have them look at your hand and tell them your concern. The problem with Rabies is that they don't hand out the shots like candy... the CDC has to get involved and make the determination whether or not you need the shots... that is really the only way you are going to get the shots unless your willing to shell out about $3000 for it. (If the CDC says you need it, it is administered without any charges)

In your scenario, your doctor will probably take one look at your hand and say you have nothing to worry about. And that is about all the reassurance you are going to get. Besides that, there is really not much you can do... you have to put your faith into the experts (REMEMBER: you are not the expert)

What has helped me is this: 3 people died in the U.S. last year of rabies, unknowingly contracting the disease. You are aware of it and will probably get it checked out. You literally have a better chance of winning the jackpot lottery prize two times in a row than catching rabies.

Now here is something you NEED to know: Rabies and Anxiety exhibit the SAME symptoms... both affect your mind and also neurologically... so you have to tell yourself it is just anxiety when you think you show symptoms... otherwise it will spiral out of control... and fast...

You are going to be just fine, just relax a bit and just tell yourself you don't have it... cause you don't. Just schedule a doctor appointment to get it checked so your mind will be at ease and just have to keep telling yourself that you are okay.

Bookmark and Share
Aviation Professional --- If you have aviation related questions or fears, please feel free to message me.

Offline ClassicNerd

• Rec's: 13
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 01:34:23 PM »
I do the exact same time when I am recalling events in my mind. My mind tends to warp events, and I freak myself out - I think if you touched a grounded rabid bat, you would definitely remember. Considering you're so scared of them, it doesn't seem like something you'd be having any sort of doubt over.

Where I live there are tons of bats (they live in my attic) and when I sit outside on the deck at night, they swoop down real close to grab mosquitoes and other bugs that are flying around my head. I have been sitting out at night and letting these brave bats circle around my head for years and I have yet to contract rabies. Furthermore, I'm not in the least bit worried about rabies. The chances you'll get rabies are extremely low. I highly doubt you came into contact with a rabid bat. Those marks on your hands could be hives or insect bites at this time of the year. Try to relax and do something fun to help take your mind off of it!  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share
“I am an old man and I have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened” -  Mark Twain

Offline Amazingambino

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 07:53:40 PM »
Thank you two both for the answers. @flip, how did you overcome your fear of rabies? I feel like anytime I go outside I worry about rabid bats. Any other advice? Again @flipperk & @Classicnerd thanks for your answers because I really appreciate it. -Ambino
Bookmark and Share
Yeah
To come and grab you
And consume you
A disease of the mind
It can control you

Offline jlhcorley

• See, I told you it was cancer.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 02:19:33 AM »
I used to have this fear, that a bat would somehow randomly fly over head, spit in my eye, and give me rabies. This is has not happened and I very rarely have a rabies thought anymore. The main thing I did was stop checking my body, online, etc. and accept the fact that I can trust my memory and no such thing had happened. I also decided to take the chance that I could get rabies by ignoring my HA and getting better, and it was worth the chance (because the chance is basically 0%).

I was 10 when I started having horrible what-if thoughts about my health, and I know how scary it is as a teenager to have these thoughts constantly in your head. I hope you have someone to talk to about your fears.

Jen
Bookmark and Share

Offline Amazingambino

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 08:52:46 PM »
Do any of you know how long the rabies virus lives in a dead bat in about 80 degree weather? Like minutes, 2 hours, etc.? Be somewhat specific. ( I'm just wondering.) -Thanks
Bookmark and Share
Yeah
To come and grab you
And consume you
A disease of the mind
It can control you

Tags: