Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Can you get a sinus headache in the back of your head?  (Read 20526 times)

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 28
    • Poke This Member
Can you get a sinus headache in the back of your head?
« on: March 01, 2012, 05:56:14 PM »
For the past few days, I've had this weird, mild headache in the back of my head on the left side. It's not bad and I only feel it for like a minute a few times a day, and then in the morning when I wake up. 

I have fairly bad allergies and have noticed that my left sinuses are a bit clogged right now. Could they be causing the headaches?  Or maybe tension?   (My husband and I are in the middle of a crazy project, so we're pretty stressed out.)  Thanks to the stress, of course my mind goes straight to brain tumor or aneurysm.  ::)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Clara_Destine

• Rec's: 2
  • :-)
    • Poke This Member
Re: Can you get a sinus headache in the back of your head?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 06:25:28 PM »
I would probably say it is more likely a kind of tension headache or tension "pang." There are a few different muscles at the back of your neck that refer pain from tension/anxiety, bad posture, a poor sleep position or non-supportive pillow to one or both sides of the back of your head.

Source: a lot of experience with neck tension and tension headaches from both whiplash and poor posture!
Bookmark and Share
"A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 28
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 12:01:59 AM »
Interesting... thanks, Clara!  I did actually notice that the headache cleared up at dinner tonight when I sat up straight. But as soon as I slouched, headache came right back. Weird!

(Btw - I saw your post about random symptoms happening around your period - I've had those, too. It's amazing what hormones can do.)
Bookmark and Share

Offline sydneymom

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 01:46:05 PM »
The other day every time I walked in the rain with my head down I got a headache at the back of my head. When I was indoors and upright it went away and then when I would go back out and walk with my head down it came back. Maybe a neck issue like a pinched nerve?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Clara_Destine

• Rec's: 2
  • :-)
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 02:03:09 PM »
Yep Slangevar, weird, but it's the way the body works! I learned a lot about the effects of posture on the body from my chiropractor (God bless that man).

Sydneymom: It could be a pinched/compressed nerve, but it sounds more like tension from the way you hold your head. When some of my nerves and cervical disks were compressed from years of poor posture and aggravated by whip lash, my whole neck hurt (with tension headaches) constantly from the muscles trying to compensate for the misalignment.
Bookmark and Share
"A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

Offline Silas1066

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 02:59:02 PM »
Yes you can

When I had sinusitis from an infection, I would get these dull headaches behind my ears. I would also get the headaches on the top of my head.

This is from swelling in the Sphenoid sinus region at your temples. The tension and pain radiates all over the head.

Try some Mucinix and get on a nasal irrigation routine. Also take a decongestant before going to bed.

If it doesn't clear up within 4-5 days, make an appointment to see your ENT. He or she will do a simple scope in the office to see if you have any bad swelling or an infection. You might need a nasal steroid to get things under control.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: