Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Muscle twitching keeping me awake at night  (Read 5189 times)

Offline nick8989

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Muscle twitching keeping me awake at night
« on: January 29, 2012, 06:41:45 PM »
Hi there!
Firstly, I'm new to the site and it's been a wonderful help so far. My question is, why would I be getting muscle twitching/jerking sensations at night? Right as I'm at the brink of falling asleep, my brain seems to jump into full alert mode, and at least one of my fingers jerks suddenly. This will happen for hours every night, and it makes it almost impossible to fall asleep to, even if I'm completely tired. At times I manage only 3 hours of sleep.

Two weeks ago I was prescribed Paxil for anxiety, which I took for 6 days. During those 6 days, sleep was completely normal. My friends told me I should stop, since it's known for horrible side effects and withdrawal stuff, so I did. A day after I stopped, the whole jerking and twitching thing started. I read it could be hypnic jerks, but can those happen every night, and consistently keep someone awake?

My doctor  keeps on telling me I have  anxiety, and that it should go away on its own. It's hard to believe her, as every single night is the same torturous struggle.

I'm a 22/m by the way.

Any help would be appreciated.  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline strangerdanger

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Muscle twitching keeping me awake at night
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 06:53:15 PM »
I get muscle twitching in my legs that prevent me from falling asleep. I don't remember the last time I slept well, years I think.
It's also a symptom of my anxiety.

You should always consult your Dr. before going off your medication.  I'm sure your friends meant well, but it wasn't sound advice.

Did your Dr. tell you that you had GAD or another type?
Bookmark and Share

Offline nick8989

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 09:53:22 PM »
That's true, I probably should have waited and asked my doctor before I stopped. In a way I don't want to be dependent on a pill, and was hoping normal relaxation techniques would have helped.

As for GAD, she didn't officially diagnose me with it, but she was thinking that it's a good possibility it might be if the anxiety continues. Funny thing is, I had no anxiety issues during my winter break from classes, but the day I come back to the dorms, BAM it all starts again. Gotta love anxiety!
Bookmark and Share

Offline skunkers

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 09:53:41 PM »
my boyfreind has the same problem thanx for the post
Bookmark and Share