Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Can You FEEL your Abdominal - Chest Veins? - Portal Hypertension - Liver Disease  (Read 3452 times)

Offline professionalworrier

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Wait, maybe I don't want you to answer that because I am almost certain to develop whatever symptoms you had overnight....lol...
Bookmark and Share

Offline PixiesFan

• Mood: Busy
    Busy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hello there.  Thanks so much for replying to my post.  In the few shorts days since I posted, I have been to the Dr, expressed my concern and had another round of bloodwork done.  The doctor felt around my tummy and said nothing appeared out of shape or anything.  The report states normal.  Although when I compare November's report to this one (August) I do see differences in the numbers.  Is it normal for things like AST and ALT to go up and down by a few points from previous bloodwork?  My current AST is 21 and ALT is 16. In November AST was 17 and ALT was 15.  Other numbers on the report went up or down here and there too, but most of them were in range. Bilirubin was 1.0 (Down from 1.1 last time)  If anything was out of range, it was very slight.   Slight enough that it didn't raise concern for anyone (but me, lol)  I'm a worrier.  She said the labs were good, so I need to probably chill out. LOL. Thanks again for posting.
Bookmark and Share

Offline PixiesFan

Busy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
FYI-  I know someone who was diagnosed with nonalcoholic mild fatty liver through a test called a Mylogram while they were being looked at for something else (looking for disk problems in the back).  It was a test given to them instead of an MRI (because they can't have one of those due to having metal in their body from an injury). I have also read that sometimes liver issues can be detected through an endoscopy.
Bookmark and Share

Offline PixiesFan

Busy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Ug.  I don't see my CBC plates listed here.  But, maybe it's called something else on the report?? lol
Bookmark and Share

Offline PixiesFan

Busy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Okay, I do see "PLT" listed. I assume this is platelets.  Now, in November it was 289 th/uL.  Now it's 215 th/uL.  It's on the lower range of normal and has dropped since last time. OMG. Is it okay?  Freaking out. lol 
Bookmark and Share

Offline questionable

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I have liver disease. Actually, I have cirrhosis from hepatitis c and I may have portal hypertension too, in an early stage.

At this time my bloods are good. My AST and ALT are a little elevated and sit somewhere between 80-100. Normal AST is <35 and normal ALT is <50. These values can rise temporarily from drinking alcohol and may bounce a bit from taking different medicines. My platelets are okay, but could be better!

The liver has the ability to regenerate fairly quickly if you take good care of it. It took me about 25 years of chronic liver disease (having hep c) to get me to the point of cirrhosis, so it's not something that happens over a short period of time. If you are worried about your liver from drinking, then don't drink so much and drink plenty of water and eat right.

Just remember it's the anxiety, which I have too!

Bookmark and Share

Offline PixiesFan

Busy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hi Questionable,
Thank you very much for your post.  I don't drink at all anymore.  People around me think I'm being silly, but I know I overindulged more than I should have at times.  So, in my mid 30's I am taking care of myself more.  My last labs were good (all in range), I am just a worry wort.  I keep looking at these spider veiny, reddish blotches on my chest.  I have very fair pale skin.  My mom has rosacea.  I haven't been diagnosed with it, but I am thinking that's probably what it is.  I hope you are keeping well and taking care of yourself.  How are you feeling?  Thanks again for your post. I am sorry to here about your liver.  Please take care.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ImObsessed

• "We're all here distracting ourselves until we die." -( J.J. Abrams)
  • Rec's: 2
  • Im an egomaniac with low self esteem
    • Poke This Member
I had an Ultrasound last month that was normal except for this: "liver echo-texture is mildly heterogenous which could possibly represent mild patchy infiltration"

Of course I made the mistake of googling heterogenous liver and it says it COULD be due to fat, it COULD be due to fibrosis, and it COULD be due to cirrhosis. :(

I still see veins on my abdomen but not all the time. Like if I'm laying in bed reading and then get up abruptly and look in the mirror, they will sometimes pop out on my sides. Then other times when I'm more relaxed or when I wake up in the morning I don't see any veins. By veins I mean the blue veins like in your wrists, except these are on my sides. I'm thinking that the action of quickly standing causes a temporary rise in blood pressure that make the veins appear more distended temporarily. I like to think that if the veins were distended due to chirrosis from portal hypertension they would be distended all the time. Also my ultrasound didn't show an enlarged spleen or any other ominous signs. But the worry continues.

I mention this to the gastro doc but he doesn't seem that interested in even looking at them. My blood tests are normal. I suppose if my bloods were off then they would be more concerned. But my hypochondriac mind tells me that by blood test are normal NOW but that is probably going to change as I continue to deteriorate.

As far as spider veins and red telengastia I have those, but I know plenty of normal people with those so I'm not that worried about those.
Bookmark and Share
Im obsessed with my health and my current obsession is my liver.

Offline PixiesFan

Busy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I'm Obsessed- Hi and thanks for your post.  Yes, the red spider veins. I am going to try to discount them.  I don't think there is a rasied red dot within them, but I keep looking.  I do have  few red dots that don't have veins with them.  Glad you said many people have them.  As for the veins you say you have on your abdomen, I think that's normal.  In fact, I have some bluish ones down my sides and actually my daughter does too (and I know she is young and healthy).  Since her and I have fair skin, they definitely show up.  If a person had portal hypertension, I'm pretty sure at that point they'd be feeling very sick and the abdomen would be huge.  Not like a fat belly, but severely huge and noticeable.  I recently went to my gastro for follow up from my colonoscopy.  I shared some of my concerns.  He wasn't concerned at all.  If bloodwork is normal, they don't worry.  From what I have read, I am thinking we are okay if blood is normal.  See, I think if we were so bad off that out labs when back to normal, we'd be sick enough to know it first.  Such is the life of a hypochondriac. lol.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ColdHands

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Warm heart, strong mind, struggling liver
    • Poke This Member
wish my labs were normal    mine are crazy high
Bookmark and Share
"There is just one more thing that bothers me."  Columbo