Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: ALS( Lou Gehrig's Disease). I just broke down  (Read 1810 times)

Offline ritzy

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
ALS( Lou Gehrig's Disease). I just broke down
« on: September 23, 2011, 06:02:57 PM »
So first in fore most, I have Health anxiety. Why else would I be here  :(

Right now im having the biggest fear of having ALS. Why? Because, Im having twitches in muscles all over my body (about 20 times a minute). My muscles even jerk some too. My whole leg, arm , and foot will just move NOT on command.

Ive read that there ARE certain risk factors to ALS, like genetics, Concussions, and Certain Dietary things like MSG.

Also, I know that Glutamine and Glutamate show up extremely high in the spinal fluid of ALS patients.

WHY does that scare me even more??

Ive had a Concussion, a bad one! I had an out of body experience and everything. (only one concussion tho)

As, of yesterday , ive been supplementing 10 grams of glutamine in my diet!

ON OTHER HAND.

*Ive been dealing with health anxiety, Which makes you irrational about certain situations, I know.
*Im 23 years old, male.
*I havent loss any noticable strength, Yet. ( I even did a work out like 30 mins ago, because im scared )
*No, noticeable signs, of unequal muscle atrophy for now.

I was just on an ALS forum reading, and I lost it, I broke down and actually cried. I feel like a wuss. This thing is like a dark looming cloud over me... I dont know why im posting this, maybe for reassurance. I know most of us here are in the same boat. if not boat, maybe ship. I feel for all suffers, whether it be anxiety or not. Life shouldn't be spent in suffering, life should be a full experience for all.

Bookmark and Share

Offline U2Bad1

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: ALS( Lou Gehrig's Disease). I just broke down
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 06:08:54 PM »
I think you outlined the exact reasons that you do NOT have ALS. I believe many people on here would say that when they are feeling a lot of anxiety they twitch like a MOFO.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 204
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 06:12:20 PM »
OKAY  first of ALL QUIT looking on ALS forums.  That isn't going to help you at all.

all the other stuff about MSG and concussions----that seems quite farfetched and likely found on some google search.  You know not all websites are created equal.  They can put pretty much what they want on a website.

twitching--forGET about twitching.  Yes twitching happens LATE in ALS disease.  This is when you already know you have it--ie you are having major issues.  twitching is VERY common with anxiety/stress.  I twitch all the time.  I don't even think about it anymore.  REPEAT: twitching = anxiety/stress.  Plug in twitching in the search bar above right and you'll get pages of topics on that very symptom.

You are 23.  ALS is a diseas of peeps over 50.  Oh, yes there IS the rare case when a poor 20 year old gets it but that is sooooooo out there for we hypoes to be that rare case.....
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline ritzy

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 06:16:43 PM »
Yes, I know. I still try to have a rational mind about everything, thats what keeps me sane (kinda)

There is just that other side that convinces me and makes me think Ive got something serious. Like right now.

Ive heard of people twitching with anxiety but not the muscle jerks and involuntary movements.

6, Yeah i need to quit looking at those forums, and just searching it all together. it would help. ALOT
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 06:20:37 PM »
well my right thigh just to the right of my knee was bouncing around today for 1/2 hr.  that quad would leap so badly, a couple of years ago, that when I was in the tub, the water would ripple away.  I sometimes get the jimmy leg--you know it will just jump.  My fingers will do that too.  muscles jerk.  mine do.  other peeps do too.

HA folks always look at the ---"well my symptom X is just a bit different than anyone elses so that means I don't have anxiety but a scary thing"   That is just BEASTY talk (beasty being your anxious overthinking)

anxiety/stress affects the nervous system.  that only goes to show that you will have muscles misbehaving amongst other things.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline U2Bad1

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 06:22:40 PM »
I think twitching due to anxiety and muscle jerks and involuntary movements go hand in hand.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ritzy

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 06:46:28 PM »
HAHA yes i is the Beasty talk, and that is very true that ( mine slightly differs, so its bad!)

U2, I certainly hope you are right :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline miika

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 06:56:15 PM »
when having ALS, twitching is the last of the problems. You would have serious muscle weakness before that. + ALS twitching is NOT all over twitching, it`s in the muscle where the weakness would be. I`ve been twitching on and off for years, itīs really common anxiety/stress symptom. all over type of twitching is as much of a sing of ALS than twitching nowhere at all. you do not have ALS, or if you do it`s for some other reason, not because the twitching.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 07:34:46 PM »
  HAHA yes i is the Beasty talk, and that is very true that ( mine slightly differs, so its bad!)

for every hypo it slightly differs.  lol.    I remember when I have a disease all my symptoms are never exactly the same or it isn't described exactly as I do so I have some horror.  Always wrong.

NOW this is what is happening to me now----on June 2nd I straine/sprained/pulled my left hamstring while sprinting at my daughter's field day racing other moms.  I mean it was bad.  I was taken off the field in a wheelchair. Then hubs took me to the ER.  I was x-ray and given prednisone, muscle relaxants and pain meds.  I hobbled out on crutches.  Two days later I developed a HUGE bruise that took up about 2/3's of the back of my leg.  It was purple and black.  My eldest daughter's PT told me she'd never seen a hamstring bruise that bad.  Here we are 3 1/2 months later and I'm still having trouble.  The muscle is definitely weaker.  I have a hard time keeping up with my dog walking.  Today I didn't think I'd make it home.  SO I need to see my PCP again.  Obviously there is still something wrong.  BUT now I'm hemming and hawing about going.   ::)
Is it really that bad?  Do I want to bother?  Maybe it will get better on its own?  all of that garbage....................  you have to laugh---when you have a ficticious BEASTY driven disease you are apt to run to the doc constantly.  When you have an actual issue, you hem and haw....   :laugh3:
Bookmark and Share

Offline nicknd

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 11:44:41 AM »

Ive heard of people twitching with anxiety but not the muscle jerks and involuntary movements.

6, Yeah i need to quit looking at those forums, and just searching it all together. it would help. ALOT

I've actually read (from a post on a neurology forum) that the limb jerks point away from ALS because they have NO part in ALS. Twitches happen late in ALS but are not diagnostic of ALS because anyone can twitch, but I don't really ever hear of ALS patients having limbs that jerk only when resting. I get the jerks, too. Have for over a year now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 11:57:08 AM »
Welcome to anxiety zone. I have actually known two people and have read a large article
about another and their symptoms were not twitching. ALS also typically does not occur in people
your age.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Eseress

• Arrested Development? Yes, please.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 04:41:36 PM »
When I am incredibly anxious or stressed out I have sometimes experience constant twitching and muscle jerking. I do feel worried every now and then, but they don't happen continuously or out of the blue for minutes on end. Muscle spasms are very common amongst anxious people!
Bookmark and Share
"Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be."

Tags: