Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Lumpy swollen spots on calf...worried  (Read 1305 times)

Offline leafsgirl80

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Lumpy swollen spots on calf...worried
« on: September 15, 2011, 01:59:37 AM »
I fell down some stairs at work last week, and I have an avulsion fracture (where a ligament pulls off a piece of bone) in my ankle and one of my foot bones. The doctor told me I can walk on it as long as I wear an air cast, and I actually don't have very much pain. It seems to be healing well. However, something I noticed the day I broke it was some lumpy kind of swollen spots on my calf (not like uniform swelling, but like two distinct "lumpy" bits. They don't stick out very much, but I can see them when I look at the backs of my calves in a mirror. I assumed I must have also hurt my calf from the fall, and figured it would go away after a couple of days. However, it's been a week and it's still the same. It doesn't hurt at all, and they don't feel like hard lumps when I touch them. I'm worried that it could be something else that I just happened to notice because of the injury? It's nowhere near the bones that are injured (it's about halfway between my foot and the back of my knee, and the fracture is on the front of my ankle), and it's not uniform swelling like on my ankle (my whole ankle is swollen, not just a couple of lumps). I don't think it's a blood clot, since it's not painful (either to touch or when I walk) or red, and not very swollen. There is some pressure a couple of inches under it from the air cast, but I don't think that's causing it since I didn't have the cast yet when I first noticed it. Has anyone ever had something like this before or know what it might be?
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
Re: Lumpy swollen spots on calf...worried
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 08:05:13 AM »
You may have Lipoma's, which are benign. Sometimes they become painful and
usually are soft and movable. It may make you feel better to bring your concerns to
the attention of your physician.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 08:10:51 AM »
I don't usually say call a doc at the drop of a hat.... but in this instance you actually have an injury.  So it may be a helpful to run it passed the doc.   This year I really strained my hammy.  OMG the bruise was viscious but I had issues with my lower leg too as a result.  It still bothers me.  Also last year I fell on a boulder and my left shin took a hit.  A couple of days later my ankle was purple and swollen.  I went to the doc for that.  Turns out blood flows downward with injuries and ankles will swell....  What you are experiencing maybe something very common with your injury even though it doesn't seem possible.   :winking0008: :yes:
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline leafsgirl80

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 10:06:00 PM »
I guess it could be related to the injury, although it's above, rather than below, the broken bone and sprained ankle. I do have swelling and bruising in those areas, but it seems more uniform. I guess I'm just worried because it seems like two distinct lumps rather than just general swelling. I have an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon next week; guess I'll just wait until then to ask him about it.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: