Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Ears pop EVERYTIME I swallow is this normal?  (Read 8895 times)

Offline smmaho

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Ears pop EVERYTIME I swallow is this normal?
« on: August 29, 2011, 06:24:56 AM »
For as long as I can remember my ears pop every single time I swallow! I don't know why I'm worrying about this now but I am! It is mainly my left ear. Also everytime I open my mouth my jaw clicks mainly left side. An irrational part of me is saying it's caused by a brain tumor. Is this normal?
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: Ears pop EVERYTIME I swallow is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 06:41:44 AM »
here is a blurb about the eustachian tube.  basically what you are feeling is the pressure changes when swallowing.  you may have some fluid in your ear. not really a big deal and certainly NOTHING to do with a brain tumor.

tube that extends from the middle ear to the pharynx (throat). About 3 to 4 centimetres (1.21.6 inches) long in humans and lined with mucous membrane, it is directed downward and inward from the tympanic cavity, or middle ear, to that portion of the pharynx called the nasopharynx, the space above the soft palate and behind and continuous with the nasal passages. The upper end of the eustachian tube is narrow and surrounded by bone. As it nears the pharynx, the tube becomes wider and cartilaginous. The mucous lining is continuous with that of the middle ear. Small cilia (hairlike projections) cover it to aid the drainage of mucous secretions from the middle ear to the pharynx. The main function of the auditory tube is ventilation of the middle ear and maintenance of equalized pressure on both sides of the tympanic (drum) membrane. Closed at most times, the tube opens during swallowing. This permits equalization of the pressure without conscious effort 
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline smmaho

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 06:53:43 AM »
Thank you! Is it normal for this to happen everytime
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 07:11:55 AM »
if you have any fluid in your ears it will pop like that.  I hear mine all of the time.  So is it normal for fluid to be in your ears all the time, no, not really.  It means drainage issues due to allergies or sinus stuff.  But it doesn't mean anything that is going to do you in atleast it hasn't done me in over the years.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline smmaho

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 07:40:57 AM »
thanks you have helped me put that concern aside...now move on to the next lol
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 07:42:34 AM »
onward and upward.  lol.

I just took my claritin and sudafed this a.m.   
Bookmark and Share

Offline sayfay73

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 11:00:53 AM »
mine do that too, every time.  I have chronic sinusitis and allergies which have lead to my tubes not working really well at draining fluid.  Nothing life threatening, just annoying!  A nasal spray (nasonex, flonase) may help.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: