Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: The NEW HA challange- Please join and lets help each other succeed!  (Read 26695 times)

lauren4329 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline kaseface4172

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: The NEW HA challange- Please join and lets help each other succeed!
« Reply #150 on: May 27, 2013, 08:48:21 AM »
I am NOT going to Google for a week.
I am going to go outside and take a walk for half an hour a day.
I'm going to get up every morning before my children and pray for a week.
and I'm going to read some scriptures from Bible
Bookmark and Share

Offline dragonblaze18

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #151 on: May 30, 2013, 06:33:04 PM »
Even though I'm new to this forum, I wanted to post challenges that I have been working on to reduce my anxiety.

I remember the first day I had the sudden urge to check my health. It was just a sudden dull weird feeling that made me want to check my pulse. After that day, things have escalated to the point where I had to call an ambulance because my limbs were stiff and numb. What was the worst, and possibly the most embarrassing fact, is that my friend's father was a nurse practitioner. So, whenever an attack occurred, I would rush out to get his help.

My first challenge was telling my friends and family about what I was experiencing. Unfortunately, I did it unwillingly when I thought my heart stopped while at the college restaurant. Next I challenged myself to stop seeking help from my friend's father, because I know it was an anxiety attack. Finally; I've been pushing myself to accept the feelings I get during an attack or almost certainly from anxiety and not my "symptom of the month".

Overall; the challenges have vastly improved my life compared to when I first started getting attacks and invasive thoughts. I still get sudden feelings of death or a day were a twitch might be an aneurysm. However; I have more days now that are not my "last day on earth" feeling. With the help of my dad, I've been attempting to narrow out triggers that cause or worsen my anxiety feelings.

New goals in my life to improve my state of mind have been to lessen stress causing stuff. Such stuff as not getting completely drunk with my friends. Even though its fun, the next day I usually get a really bad attack that'll leave me useless till tomorrow.
Bookmark and Share

Offline slimshady

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #152 on: June 02, 2013, 07:54:42 AM »
I like this idea! Im going to do the whole "dont google any symptoms or medical conditions" for 3 full days.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hangingbasket

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • health anxiety
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #153 on: June 24, 2013, 09:46:04 AM »
I only just joined this site. I've been watching it for a few weeks though and think this topic is a great idea.

I ordered a book last night from Amazon. Called Overcoming Health Anxiety. I am going to read that cover to cover until I know it by heart (slight exaggeration but you get the idea)

I have attended 2 sessions of a stress management course and will continue the course for the full 6 weeks. (this is fantastic and I would recommend it to anyone who has the access to it, it uses CBT methods to overcome anxiety)

I have cut down my caffeine intake and will continue to do so until I'm not having caffeine daily

I will keep up with a progressive muscle relaxation cd everyday

I will make sure I go for a walk each day

hardest one.... I WILL stop googling symptoms!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline mwtzzz

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #154 on: June 24, 2013, 11:49:22 PM »
The best way to deal with health anxiety is to do the following:

1. look at the actual statistics for the concern in question. Don't pay attention to other people's "guesses" - do the work and look up the statistics as reported in medical journals

2. The best way to deal with anxiety is to face the fear. Go visit with and talk to a group of people who are actually suffering from the ailment you fear. Listen to their stories, their regrets and advice. I guarantee you will walk away with the correct perspective. In fact you will most likely feel incredibly foolish for having felt the anxiety you did.

3. identify an appropriate and reasonable set of general health tests and exams to do on a yearly or every few years basis. Things like: CBC, heart stress test, basic digestive/pancreatic enzyme/liver function, cholesterol, etc.

4. Regular cardiovascular (aerobic) exercise. Look up "target heart rate", understand what it means, understand that you need to do a minimum of 20 minutes a day sustained at that rate in order to achieve aerobic benefit.

5. Eat a balanced diet.

6. Leave the worrying about "Disease X" to the people who actually have been diagnosed with and are suffering with it.

That's it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline suchaworrywort

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #155 on: July 26, 2013, 11:05:48 AM »
1. Signed on to MyFitnessPal, wearing a pedometer, and am trying to walk at least an hour every day.  Maybe I can transfer my obsession with physical symptoms to an obsession with steps, calories, protein grams, and other healthy habits I can control!

2. Banished iPod and all other screens from the bedroom.  Re-developing my old habit of reading myself to sleep.

3. Leaving a big bottle of water by my bed so I can rehydrate before my feet even hit the floor.

4. Ordered The Phobia and Anxiety Workbook.

5. Accepting every invitation extended to me unless I have a real schedule conflict.

6. When anxiety attacks in church, I just sing louder. Discovering that I am still perfectly able to sing, loudly, without getting breathless, even though I feel foggy and dizzy, has been a confidence booster. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Amanda888

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #156 on: August 05, 2013, 05:44:20 PM »
1) No Googling. How many times do I need to read that muscle twitches usually anxiety related?
2) 30 minutes of yoga and 20 minute walk everyday
3) Healthy eating + multivitamins + 5-HTP
4) Get up and go to bed at the same time every day/night
5) Have a Top 3 list of things I want or need to do everyday and complete it
6) Work on the HA workbook at least 20 minutes each day

and last but not least.....

7) Stop monitoring myself every time I think I feel a muscle twitch. Instead when I notice it, I will just say "Oh well" and move on.

Bookmark and Share

Offline ClaireAtC2

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #157 on: September 24, 2013, 02:28:15 PM »
I'm always up for a challenge!
I am going to try to:
1) Not google any symptoms or illnesses this week
2) Instead of fixate on a new symptom or pain, try to distract myself with either a phone call with a good friend, a long walk, or reading a book.
I'll report back!
Bookmark and Share

Offline AshleyNova

• Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #158 on: September 25, 2013, 08:27:07 PM »
just wondering if you ever continued meds? I just got started on 25mg zoloft and dk how i feel about it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cronet

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #159 on: September 26, 2013, 10:10:13 PM »
I have stopped googling my symptoms!
Bookmark and Share

Offline japheree

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #160 on: November 06, 2013, 05:07:31 AM »
I am going to look into trying mindfulness.

I am going to try to sleep without distractions like the radio to drown out my thoughts.

I am going to make sure I eat a balanced diet.

I am going to drink responsibly or not at all.

I am going to get CBT therapy (a bit of a cheat this one as I am already signed up for an assessment)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Bertz1985

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #161 on: December 01, 2013, 04:39:56 PM »
After having really bad anxiety since Wednesday, I finally got out of the house last night. My mom, aunt, and I took my kids to the cities christmas festival. We stood around bonfires and listened to christmas carols. It really helped with my anxiety! I'm still felling a little anxious today, but overall better. I'm really glad I went, because I almost changed my mind at the last minute.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Haribol2332

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #162 on: December 06, 2013, 01:24:21 AM »
Scared- thouse are awsome quotes. I think our problem is is getting to the point of acceptance. It sounds so easy just to turn off our anxiety- I wish it was... But we are in a cycle thats never ending... we are the only ones that can truely make it stop. Of course therapy and medications are there to help us along but we are the only ones that can tell our minds to "stop" think rationally.
Bookmark and Share

Offline grapegatsby

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #163 on: December 06, 2013, 07:42:22 PM »
I am going to stop looking up symptoms on the internet.

I am going to stop cyclical thought patterns that do nothing for me but stress me out.

Every time I feel anxiety, I am going to tell my loved ones. Sometimes the worst part is trying to act like everything is okay It isolates you and that makes it worse. Talking about it takes the power away from it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Medic Manders

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #164 on: December 09, 2013, 11:28:05 AM »
I'm up for the challenge!!! Last month, I decided to try counseling/cognitive therapy... I want to get better... I hate my health anxiety, especially when I know the only thing that is "ill" is my brain making me feel this way... I had my first appointment on November 25th... there was a lot of stress at the time, and my grandmother was very ill (She passed away later that day after my appointment) - I have a second appointment on December 18th... I feel like I am taking control of my anxiety instead of it taking control of me!!!  Good luck everyone!!! :bigsmile:
Bookmark and Share