Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Feeling Trapped In My Own Mind/Body  (Read 22848 times)

Offline ihateanxiety!

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Feeling Trapped In My Own Mind/Body
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 12:13:58 AM »
Hey wilksdaman, i realise this post is really old but i've read alot of these posts on different forums but yours and the replys are the ones which i completely relate to- i totally know what you mean it's so scary and horrible! and i have also somehow kept it from my family and friends who have no idea what a mess i feel my head is. My boyfriend has been around when ive started freaking out and it's so hard to explain what im feeling to him. I would not have understood it myself before i experienced it. I also get a weird paranoid rush of feeling of being completely alone, i know how im feeling isnt normal because i remember what it was like to be normal and carefree, it's so frustrating that i cant just pull myself together! i used to be able to chill out on my own but now being alone scares me as i overanalyze my thoughts and get scared im going to start hearing/seeing things (which never happens but im still scared im losing my mind!) anyway i hope youre feeling better since you posted this.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lilacwinteraire

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 02:27:32 PM »
I know how this feels. I am 19 years old, and feel as if I'm trapped inside myself. It's weird that everyone else can see and hear me, and although I wasn't even feeling like this 2 days ago, it's strange that this was ever normal for me. It's weird that I have been living my life like this for 19 years, and that everyone else has thoughts as well. I'm not just some lifeless thing. People hear me, and I have a face, although I see and hear and speak and feel, it doesn't seem like reality. It's almost as if I've gone back into my 'shell' and attempting to look at the world from the inside out.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sohelpless

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 09:29:46 PM »
Wow Wilks.  You wrote a couple of things that I have feared since my first panic attack 18 years ago.  The first is the fear of not being able to run away from yourself, and the second is the fear of therapy or meds not working.  The scary part is, I have not found a med in all these years that has eliminated my fear and made me feel like my old care free self.  Every time one fails, I become more scared and hopeless.  I keep praying that something comes along soon because I have developed a horrendous depression from all of this.  This disorder is absolutely horrible.  Why some can get over it and some can't is beyond me.  I guess it's just how much it affects us.  Since it seems your symptoms brought about your anxiety, learning to not fear the symptoms would help you greatly.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Celeste16

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2011, 10:19:30 PM »
I can relate to this so much! I get a tingling uncomfortable sensation in my legs when I try to sleep. It gets so bad and I obssess over it then I never get to sleep. My parents thought I was insane at one time and threatened to put me away. THE scariest thing to hear from your parents. I know Im not crazy...but I feel like Im losing who I used to be. Ive become so anxious, so anti social that I dont know who I am anymore! It feels so good to be on here though. And read things like this. To actually know that Im not alone in this. I read things that I couldnt find the words to describe and it makes me feel better. Although I cant hide from my thoughts. I used to love to get lost in thought. To have time to myself. I understand what it feels like to analyze your body all the time. Not physically but mentally. The slightest tingle or if I get dizzy I automatically just get into a panic. Im glad I can relate to people on here. Im glad im not alone...or crazy.
Bookmark and Share

Offline JimmyA

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2011, 04:58:03 PM »
Going through a rough patch at the moment, and i cant figure out why. Over the past 5 months or so my thoughts and feelings have become so inwardly, I have began to freak myself out.

It started with these buzzing sensations I was getting in my feet before christmas. These came and went over the next few months and were very frustrating and upsetting. They have all but gone now but this led to me becoming hugely aware of my body, not in terms of the way I look, but just being aware of my very existence.

Now I cant seem to shake this trail of thought. My mind feels like a flapping bird, looking for somewhere to land. I keep getting this horrible feeling that I am trapped in my own skin/mind. If you are anxious about a social situation, then you can at least hide away from it. But you cant hide away from yourself, no matter where you run to, you will always be there. I just feel so exposed and vulnerable. But I have no reason why. I have just moved in with my girlfiend, start a new job next week, things are good in that respect. But I feel like im fighting a losing battle.

Yesterday I was lying on my bed and was thinking deeply, thinking that I cant run away from myself, horribly aware of my thoughts. I could literally feel the panic building up. I've only had one or two 'panic attacks' and I think I managed to stop this one before it got out of hand. However, my mind seems to be in a state of high alert for a large portion of the time. Sometimes I will go a day feeling ok, if i am preoccupied with other things. But then it all comes crashing back again.

I feel mentally tired all the time because of this, my body feels weak. I think Im also suffering from depersonalisation from all the inward thinking. Often my body will feel like cotton wool, especially my arms.

I'm scared I'm losing my mind or control. I havent been like this before and Im only 24. Its as if when your born you go straight into automatic mode and go about your life. For some reason in the last few months, ive switched in to manual, and its freaking me out big time.

Initially I though there was something wrong with my brain, causing these buzzing/twitching sensations in my body and then subsequently this irrational thinking. I had an MRI just over a week ago, more to try and put my mind at ease than anything else. Maybe Im worried about the results. Im going to ring the doctors today to see if they have them back yet, which I doubt.

I know this is all irrational thinking. Had someone described this to me this time last year, I would have looked at them and thought "huh?" and probably not given it a second thought. Im scared, to try therapy or medication in case it doesnt work. Its comforting to know that those routes are available to me, but its frightening to think what would happen if I tried them and they didnt help. Then what?? End of the line surely??

I wish my brain had a system restore option like a computer, I would track back a few months and carry on living life oblivious to these stupid thoughts like the vast majority of the rest of the human race.

Had a little cry to my girlfriend yesterday, she is very patient and Im lucky to have her but Its so hard to describe this rotten feeling.

Im socially active, and I do a pretty good job of covering this up in front my friends and parents etc but I'm worried this is going to break me down even more than it already has....
 :(

I have suffered Generalised Anxiety since 2004.  The above post is the first one I have ever read that really described the same thing that happened to me.

After all these years it was a breathe of fresh air to read someone elses experience which mirrored my own.

The best description I have ever heard of Generalised Anxiety describes it like this:
"GAD in it's most basic form, is a catastrophic misinterpretation of bodily sensations"

So true.

You find yourself body scanning for any simple thing.  Oooh my foot is tingling, I must be anxious,  My stomach is sore, I must be anxious.  etc etc  It becomes so normal to do this, it is not surprising we are walking around in a constant anxious state.

I hope wilks is still around, because I would really love to hear how he has gone on.

Cheers

Jimmy
Bookmark and Share

Offline leg252

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2011, 03:39:51 PM »
 I'm currently seeing a  pyschologist for   hypnosis and cbt. He  said it will take  3 to 6  months to overcome gad.I'm trying  hard to forget  my symptoms, but there consuming my whole body! How  do you forget it when there right there? I feel like my symptoms are overwhelming me! This gad sucks! I want so much to get  better! But sometimes  i feel like i'm trapped inside   my own head with no way out! I'm having  trouble coping with this!I  feel like i'm  never going to get  better!I believe the  symptoms will go away in time, but not soon enough for me! I'm so tired of this! Will i get  better eventually despite some anxious thoughts? I pray to God  everyday to take away this anxiety and put it  back into remission.
Bookmark and Share

Offline JohnWatson

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2012, 06:45:31 PM »
I know this thread is old, but I've been feeling exactly like this lately. I know it's related to GAD, but it's like I've truly become aware of "myself" for the first time in my life. I've realized how separate I am from everyone else, and I'm very aware of the passage of time. Sometimes I'll just be going about my day, doing something normal like microwaving something, and I'll get this feeling that none of it matter. I feel like whatever I do instantly becomes nothing but a memory of the past, and I'm constantly trapped in my present state of mind and body. I took low doses of xanax for a couple weeks, and that got rid of most of panic associated with the anxiety, but it's been about a week since I stopped the medicine and these thoughts are starting to creep back. They're not as strong or as frightening as they were before, but they're still strange, and I'm worried that they'll interfere with my social life or get worse. Has anybody else here been able to get rid of these feelings permanently? Any tips for dealing with them on a day to day basis?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Peterjr

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2012, 04:27:21 AM »
Okay I understand totally what you are going through, and being someone who has suffered Anxiety and panic attacks for almost twenty years I know what I am talking about:
What you have described is something I experienced as well. The brain is an extremely powerful thing and has an amazing power of suggestion, and control of feelings and thoughts. The key thing you have explained and highlighted is control, you are thinking of a situation that is completely beyond your control, that being your existence. If you feel panicky, say in a shop, you can leave the shop, if you get panicky in a car, you can leave the car, and so on, but now what you are doing is thinking of a situation you cannot escape from, and that for an anxiety sufferer is scary, because control is the main factor of anxiety. One thing I remember about my anxiety was the strange feeling about who I was, and that I can never run away from myself and I was stuck with myself. You talk of buzzing sensations, I used to feel like I was hooked up to the mains sometimes, I had huge jolts of energy just pulsate through me and many buzzing sensations. This is usually nerve related. One thing I have learned over the years is to let go of control, because it consumes your life and rules your life too. Another thing I do is I try to keep my brain active, that is very important I do anything, read boring books, do crosswords, puzzles clean, write books (Never published just to occupy my mind) if you leave your brain inactive it will go into itself especially if you suffer from anxiety. A panic attack is a truly frightening experience that unless you have suffered one, will never understand. The fact is the modern world is to blame the stress, and fast moving lives we are not built for, the media, films, video games, the internet, and so on. I have found that taking myself out of this helps me, I do not get bogged own in modern life anymore, I don't watch the TV much because that can influence my mood allot, the same with the internet and all its bad news, I quit smoking and drinking, also reduced my caffeine intake all these help to feel less panicky. It is hard to tell another it will be okay, because when suffering anxiety it seems hopeless, and that this is your lot forever, but it's not so, you can reprogram your brain, it takes time and many ups and downs, but you can do it, remember it's your brain.
Bookmark and Share

Offline stillfreakin

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2012, 05:50:35 PM »
I completely agree Peter that this particular part of anxiety is a control issue. I have entered this DP/DR symptom again big time from ruminating endlessly over a health dilemna which I can't make a decision on. I started having horrible anxiety attacks, and many even during the night. I am now having this feeling I cannot free my mind from its own bounds. However, I have studied anxiety for years, and I know full well that this is only a symptom of an overly tired and anxious mind. I think doing simple distracting things and projects, and interacting with others in situations where you have some control, will gradually free the mind. You will eventually forget this is a problem as you come to experience that you are not really trapped in your 'own skin' but are really connected to everything and everyone. Control is the issue, as when you are overly anxious, the limbic system of the brain goes wacko and interprets everything as an alarm (even ones existence).
Bookmark and Share

Offline StrelokFromMesopotamia

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2013, 10:50:47 AM »
Yes, I know this thread is old (still) but word is bond I really understand this issue, have done for a long time, thought it was just me who overanalyzed everything and was always on edge. I would like to know if any of you guys have gotten over this kind of thing as of yet? I thought I got over it, but it would always come back. I find if I make anothers life the priority (usually a girlfriends), I can kinda forget about myself if I do each and every movement to benefit and suit them. Would not recommend this course of action. Leads to major heartbreak. Try the drugs. The withdrawal symptoms are better.
Bookmark and Share

Online 59Ballons

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2014, 11:07:17 PM »
Yes, this is an old topic.. But I think more people need to see this. There is so much GOOD information and experience in this thread. This describes perfectly what I have been feeling for months a few years ago, and now the past 4 months. For me, it's been like I'm trapped in my mind, but I can't accept the fact that I felt that way because it's strange. My mind goes on overdrive and I spend hours on an endless thought cycle, constantly worrying and going deeper and deeper. But there are brief moments where I realize that these are just my thoughts, and I have nothing to worry about. After all, pondering life's existence is what started it for me in the first place, and it goes away completely when I'm preoccupied and distracted. It comes back though.... Almost like my mind doesn't know how to function properly without anxiety.

Hopefully someone can relate to this post, you aren't alone. I hope the people in this forum are doing well.

Take care!
Bookmark and Share
Distraction is life's best remedy.

Offline TopBananas

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2014, 06:20:35 PM »
I found this post weirdly reassuring I'm afraid - I have the exact same thoughts! Today I've been convincing myself that I'm going mad, all I've thought about is how odd human consciousness is and how strange humans are and all of those kinds of things, and there's definitely this sense of feeling 'trapped' or like my body is just a vessel or something along those lines. Ofcourse I find psychosis symptoms 'strange ideas' and bang, off I go into anxiety and completely reassuring myself that I'm mad.

I guess it's just important to ground ourselves and realise nobody knows the answers to everything... Accepting that things are just a thought is indeed very difficult but that's all they are, our thoughts.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Calamy

• The Golden Eyed Commander of Wishes
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • and Leon's getting larger!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2014, 10:17:40 PM »
I feel like you described all the time. You really nailed it all. I go from thinking I'm completely responsible and will be "punished" for being like this to feeling like it is a disease, a disorder, and not my fault. I'm not asking for it, I am seeking help, doing what I can. It's still there and I don't know what to do. I'm sad because it feels like there are no answers.
Bookmark and Share
"Fear is such a vicious thing; it wraps me up in chains." - Tears for Fears, "The Working Hour"

Tags: