Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Extreme Vertigo/Dizziness This Morning  (Read 7842 times)

Offline gypsywrter

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Extreme Vertigo/Dizziness This Morning
« on: February 26, 2010, 08:43:16 PM »
I've always been a brain tumor worrier, but after this morning, I am convinced that I have one. A loud siren woke me up and when I sat up, the room was spinning. I tried to sit up a few times but felt the same thing. I finally had to get up to go to the bathroom, but I was very unsteady and dizzy. I seriously felt like I had just gotten off of a fast merry-go-round. I laid down in bed and kept sitting up to see if I felt dizzy - at some points, I couldn't raise my head because everything was spinning. This went on a for an hour and a half. I know I'm a hypochondriac, but this was definitely real. I don't drink alcohal or take any meds, so it wasn't from that.  I thought for sure I was going to die but knew I was too dizzy to even get dressed and walk to the car. Thankfully my husband was there and held me through it all. I was ok when I was laying down.

I took an allergy medication (which I had always been too scared to take) and felt better in a few minutes. I felt a lot of pressure around my eyes and after I took the pill, I had a lot of drainage in my throat. Could the extreme vertigo have been caused by sinus issues? I've never, ever had dizziness like this before. My husband had it once before and it was due to sinus problems. I feel ok now but am terrified to leave the house or even take a shower for fear the dizziness will return. I keep thinking I had  small seizure or something. :( :( I have had really bad fatigue for months and have been fighting extreme anxiety since June. This is a HUGE setback for me. I don't know when I will feel comfortable leaving the house again. Thanks in advance for the help.
Bookmark and Share

Offline momtoaprincess

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
Re: Extreme Vertigo/Dizziness This Morning
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 09:01:45 PM »
what you are describing is classic vertigo.  I have mild dizziness, lightheadedness from anxiety (I guess) but I had a real bout of vertigo when I was 19, same exact thing youre describing.  I stayed dizzy for days so went to the doc and they tested (by lying me back and to the side and then sitting me up fast)= classic vertigo.  I'm almost 35 now, it was not a brain tumor (obviously).  The doc asked if I had had a recent cold.  I had not but I've always suffered allergies and she said yep, that could be the culprit!
Bookmark and Share

Offline misc73

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 09:26:48 PM »
I had this a few years ago.  It lasted about three weeks.  What I had was labryntitus.  An inner ear infection. I had had an upper respitory thing going on right before I had it.  I had vertigo a few weeks ago for about 2 minutes. It was when I woke up too.  Someone HD suggested ear crystals (which made sense). Look that up and see if your symptoms match that.  Vertigo is scary so I know how you felt.  At least it went away!  My labryntitus was horrible and they had yo put ne on Valium for those weeks.  I couldn't see (or hear) anything!!!!  I hope you are feeling better!  Good Luck:) 
Bookmark and Share

Offline gypsywrter

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 11:05:19 PM »
THANK YOU so much for the fast responses! I so appreciate the help. I am on eggshells, just waiting for another "episode!" I am so scared. I haven't had a cold or ear infection recently. I do feel like there is fluid in my ears at times - if I use a Q-tip, it comes out wet. I also get ringing in my ears pretty frequently. I'll have to look into the ear crystals thing.

Yes, I'm so glad it went away!!! After an hour a half, I was wondering if it would ever stop. Do you really think allergies could cause  vertigo to hang around for that long? I don't know what I will do if it happens again. I already feel lightheaded 24/7 due to anxiety (or so I think), so to add this to the mix is really awful. I know I will be scared to go to bed in fear that I will wake up with this again.

Momtoaprincess, how long did that vertigo bout last for? Did you have to stay in bed or lie down until it passed?
Bookmark and Share

Offline cyngarrison

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 07:31:01 PM »
I've had vertigo for almost a year now. I also get fluid in my ears, not an infection just fluid. Maybe the two are related somehow maybe not. If you have insurance I would go to the doctor describe you symptoms and be honest about your worrying about a brain tumor. They can do a simple neurological test right there that only takes a few minutes to see if they suspect a tumor. That's what my doctor did and I felt much better after she told me that there was no reason to worry about a tumor.
Bookmark and Share

Offline momtoaprincess

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 10:07:24 PM »
I remember w/ that episode it freaked me out so bad that yes I did have to lay down for a while and then I was so continuously dizzy that I called the doc that day (and this was when I was 19 loooong before any HA).  I know they gave me meds (the same kind you get for seasickness) and I was taking it for at least a week or two before it completely subsided.  I still gets bouts of it now and then and I've always suffered allergies/sinus stuff.  I definately get a bit lightheaded w/ anxiety tho too.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: