Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: crackling noise when I turn my head?????????????  (Read 29012 times)

Offline kendramae09

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
crackling noise when I turn my head?????????????
« on: January 13, 2010, 04:44:35 PM »
This is a rather weird, new symptom. At the base of the back of my neck when I move my head it makes a crackling noise? Like kind of sounds like pop rocks... It's SO weird! Has anyone ever had this?? I'm trying not to google and trying not to freak out..
Bookmark and Share

Offline emma09

• Rec's: 4
  • What doesnt kill you only makes you stronger (:
    • Poke This Member
Re: crackling noise when I turn my head?????????????
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 04:51:32 PM »
Sounds muscle related if you have been anxious for a long time you will of been tense dont Google, doesnt sound like anything sinister
Bookmark and Share
fill your head with niceness and leave the rest :)

Offline kendramae09

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 05:05:09 PM »
ugh But I also have a mild headache that starts at the back of my head and neck and goes thru the top of my head. I'm really startin to freak out!
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 06:02:28 PM »
mine does that.  Many folks do.  It isn't something to get concerned over.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline kendramae09

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 06:40:47 PM »
Everybody gets the crackling noise in the back of their head when they move their head? That just seems WEIRD.. i've never heard of it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline idreamofskiba

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 07:51:29 PM »
I get it too sometimes, but don't even have to be moving my head for it to happen.  I actually read a discussion about this on a non-anxiety or health related site a couple weeks ago.  There were quite a few people within the thread saying they've heard the "pop rocks", but can't figure out what it is.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Earl71

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 08:05:25 PM »
I have that noise all the time.  I think it's just the vertebrae in the neck.  As far as the headache in the back of head and neck, I get that all the time too.  It's almost certainly caused by tension.  I get deep tissue massages in my neck and upper back and that gets rid of the headaches almost instantly. It's definitely worth the money.
Bookmark and Share

Offline trixjewell

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 10:43:14 PM »
I get them too only ALL the time and it's related to the discs in my neck. When I turn my head left or right it sounds like a bunch of little rice krispies in there crackling.. only way I can describe it. Usually if I go to the chiropractor and get my neck snapped it simmers up but haven't been in months. It's annoying I know that. I found sometimes what works is to lay on the bed with my neck hanging off the bed and stretch it up and down, left and right.. you can still hear the crackling but it makes it feel better.. Hope it helps to know your not alone.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jenfr8801

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 10:58:39 PM »
It's caused by neck tension.  Neck tension is caused by anxiety and stress.  I'm assuming you're anxious right now, and I bet your tightening your neck and your shoulder muscles.  We do it and we don't realize we're doing it. Tension is probably why you also have a headache  :yes:

Jennifer
Bookmark and Share

Offline AnxiousMatt

• Rec's: 9
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 11:55:11 PM »
I have had this alot in the past couple of years...and coincidentally i also have a herniated disc in my neck. Its called crepitus, which is just medical slang for creaking in the neck...no big deal really, although it may cause some discomfort/pain sometimes that can result in headaches and funny feelings in the head. I have the exact same type of headaches kendramae, where they start at the back and somehow end at the top of the head...your headache def sounds neck and tension related
Bookmark and Share
Check out my blog! It might help you!

http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php?article=18998.0

Offline Chancer

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 08:20:46 AM »
This post is a bit old but maybe someone else will benefit from this info:
This cracling noise or hypertension is also probably caused by bad posture and stress in the neck muscles, could be caused by the position you sleep in as well as possibly (side sleeper) a previous neck injury or even just a bad mattress or pillow that doesn't quite suit you anymore- you would be surprised at how much your sleeping posture affects you. I was getting dizzy spells and had weird floating sensations around 6 months ago - wow it was so weird - thinking I had a brain tumour or some other serious illness I went to the doctor - she said it was a pinched nerve in my neck - I was using a really flat pillow and my mattress was lumpy and lopsided - a year of sleeping badly must have seized up my muscles - so I bought a brand new flat mattress and got new pillows - and the dizziness and weird floating sensation disappeared after only a few days. I admit I am still getting the weird cracklling noises - and I sometimes get the odd lightheadedness feeling and tension headache, I think it might also have something to do with the position you sleep in - I sleep on my side a lot so my neck takes quite a lot of pressure on the side - causing tension in the neck muscles to build up - I am now thinking of switching to an expensive posture-paedic pillow - something that will cushion my neck without putting any stress on my neck muscles, hopefully that should relieve the tension. Try it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline meche

• Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 11:52:53 AM »
I get/have this!  I've also had a one-sided, on/off headache for over a week (behind my eye round the side of my head going down to base of my skull).  Also lots of neck, shoulder tension.  I got myself so worked up yesterday I was physcially sick.  Phoned the doctor straight away and was told it was almost definitely a tension headache.  The crunches in my neck are strained and knotted tendons, muscles.  I've booked myself in for a neck/shoulder massage tomorrow to release any knots which should help.  It's a horrible noise - like somebody screwing up a crisp packet!  Wakes me up during the night when I move my head. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline AlaskaMom

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 01:46:27 PM »
Yes!! It sounds like someone filling up my spinal cord with soda. Pop fizz pop pop pop! Crazy!
Bookmark and Share

Offline BrightPhoenix

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 02:17:50 PM »
I'd also like to add to the chorus of people who get this noise when they turn their head.  The noise is a little louder when I turn my head to the right, but I still get a slight crack when I turn my head to the left.  Probably the time I spend on my computer or perhaps a weird sleeping position, but I wouldn't be worried about it unless it causes you SEVERE pain.  If it's just a noise, don't think too much about it and adjust your sleeping habits to make sure you get proper neck support. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline LindaRK

• Rec's: 35
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 03:40:36 PM »
Completely normal - mostly age related and breaking down of cartilage.  I've addressed this with both my doc and chiropractor.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: