Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Tenderness Behind Ear  (Read 54390 times)

Offline gypsywrter

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Tenderness Behind Ear
« on: December 02, 2009, 03:43:10 AM »
A few days ago, I noticed that the area right behind my ear (on the bone)  is is sore to the touch. It almost feels like a bruise. I've had this feeling after wearing a tight headband in the past, but I haven't been wearing one lately. I can't tell if it is swollen at all, but my husband said it feels the same as the other side. I know constantly touching it isn't helping matters.

I had a horrible allergy attack a few days ago (sneezing, stuffy nose) and felt sick for the entire day. Could the pain be from a lymph node that swelled up due to my allergies? Has anyone had this type of pain before? Once in a while I get a slight pain like inside the ear canal, but other than that I feel fine. I am so scared it is an infection in the bone behind my ear (yes, I googled a little) or lymphoma, since I have been so tired for months now. :( Thanks for the help!
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• Rec's: 197
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: Tenderness Behind Ear
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 06:10:57 AM »
If you had an allergy attack, your ear/s could have gotten involved in the fun too.  If my ears get plugged etc, I will sometimes be tender in and around there.   If a node was swollen, you could feel it.  ANd if it was swollen, it doesn't mean lymphoma.  Nodes swell for many reasons, most notably from infections--ie cold etc.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline chickenlips28

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 04:44:52 PM »
Dont worry about Lymphoma, unless the node is growning really big and getting hard and fixxed.  I recently went to doc worried about lymphoma, he told me has about 3-4 people a week who come with simple things they think might be cancer. Thats mainly because the internet is a terrible place to google symptoms---mainly because the worst possible things tend to come up. Not the 500 other more likely reasons you have a bump on your head or neck.

Just monitor it, but for now dont get worked up unless it continues to grow a lot, or you have more severe symptoms.

And its very likely the node is from your allergy attack, or some other minor infection your body is fighting.
Bookmark and Share

Offline gypsywrter

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 05:19:20 PM »
Thanks guys! Sixpack, you made me chuckle with the "your ear could have gotten involved in the fun, too!"  :laugh3: Well, when I woke up this morning I immediately felt behind my ear (of course I did!) and it wasn't swollen at all - just a tiny bit sore to the touch. I have been playing with it all day and naturally it hurts again. So, whatever it is, it is just sore and not swollen. Could a lymph node be sore but not swollen due to infection? I know I need to stop playing with it for sure.
Bookmark and Share

Offline laa43

• Rec's: 14
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 05:35:57 PM »
I don't even know where all the lymph nodes are in the body.....and I intend to KEEP it that way....lol. I didn't realize till a few weeks ago that there were lymph nodes behind our ears. I found out when my sister had me look at my 5 year old niece's ear. She said she was complaining about it being really sore behind the ear and sure enough there was a little knot behind her ear. My sister was a little worried that it was a swollen lymph node and of course thought the same thing you did.....cancer. Ironically this happens to me too...as a matter of fact at this moment my left ear is the one that hurts. And yes there is a bump back there. It happens to me a few times a year. Its like a VERY sore, tender spot behind the ear. It goes away after a few days so I never thought anything of it. SO, if this IS a lymph node....is it possible that you can irritate enough to hurt or does it only happen with an infection. Since this is something that comes and goes I am not going to freak out about it. But I wanted you to know that yes, this happens to me too and has for years. Like if I wear sunglasses a lot etc...I thought that maybe the part that rests on your ear irritated it and therefore caused the soreness. LOL and yes.....I tend to poke and irritate more so that never helps! Keep us posted on how its going! Take care....laa
Bookmark and Share
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are mere trivial things compared to what lies within us"....Emerson

Tags: