Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Extreme hot flush before bowel movement  (Read 18097 times)

Offline countrygirl

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
Extreme hot flush before bowel movement
« on: November 21, 2009, 03:43:23 PM »
I know that hot flushes are common with anxiety especially after reading a previous post with lots of replies.  I have always had bodily sensations before I need a bowel movement such as light headedness and slight shivery feeling and occasionally had times where I feel very hot before one but last month I have been getting extreme hot flush all over my body to the point of having to take my jacket off or throw the bedclothes off and within a few minutes I need to go to the toilet.  I just put it down to my usual super sensitive body sensations BUT I remembered a tv programme about a girl with a carcinoid tumour and she said she was red hot all the time and it got worse before she had bad diarrhea??sp  . I wasn't worried only fed up with it before I remembered that programme.
Does anyone else get this weird symptom of going very hot then needing the toilet???
I am going to Dr on Tuesday for my thryroid test and will ask him about it and probably will admit my fear of carcinoid syndrome and am sure he will look at me as if I am mad as its a new Dr due to house move and although he will know about my health anxiety from my notes I don't know how sympathetic he will be.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 220
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: Extreme hot flush before bowel movement
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 04:17:03 PM »
I don't get hot BUT I sometimes get this overwhelming feeling of fatigue and tiredness.  I think it possibly has something to do with the way nerves talk to each other.  It's been like this for me for quite a few years.  I think what you are experiencing is just a variation on what you've had in the past and what happens to me.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline emma09

• Rec's: 4
  • What doesnt kill you only makes you stronger (:
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 08:54:46 AM »
Before a bowl movement i am the same i shake feel sick to the stomach and get sweaty i have ibs so comes on pretty quick after ive been though i feel miles better. Does it go after your movement? Your digestive system relaxes during an anxious moment so sounds to me like all nerves and not cancer
Bookmark and Share
fill your head with niceness and leave the rest :)

Offline CoolCalmAndCollected

• Rec's: 5
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 09:59:51 AM »
I have had this a couple of times and I will tell you why it happens:

It has to do with your intestines being in distress, like one time it was because I had sudden diarrhea based on something I ate.  LOL - this was at a mall - I was used to eating nearly nothing (a constant dieter) and my mom took me out to lunch so I indulged in a quiche AND cheesecake.  If you can even imagine the fat content of that meal - well, I remember RUNNING up the escalator stairs to find the department store bathroom.  Once inside the stall I felt so distressed and HOT that I stripped off my shirt (TMI, I know, but the point is - I was overheated suddenly and in great distress.)  Better a few minutes later.

The other time was less funny but I was taking meds that slow the bowels down (opposite problem as diarrhea.)  Actually I had to stop the meds because I knew that people can't go a week without moving bowels - it just can't be healthy.  In my mind I'm sure I had some sort of blockage going on but without the meds in my system, the intestines finally took over but it was kind of traumatic.  When I finally did have to go I had what others described - shaking feeling, rather distressed, and again, hot enough to strip off clothes.  I don't take that med anymore.  It was a tricyclic antidepressant and doctors never believed me when I said it locked up my bowels - and I mean into lockdown mode.  They told me to just try bran, prune juice, etc. - nope, no help.  I had to just stop taking the med periodically and eventually I stopped taking it altogether.  Those meds are known for causing "ileus" and I have been "pooh-poohed" (pun intended) for saying they can cause severe bowel dysfunction but I know it's true.

So, in summary, I think this is caused by a distressed intestinal system (any connection to cancer would be rare since there are a million other reasons for bowels/intestines to become distressed, like either diarrhea or constipation.)  I would bet on constipation being the culprit if you have that.  I once saw my child become very distressed due to constipation; we almost took her to the E.R.

I think it is, technically, as others have said, a nervous system phenomena where whole-body effects arise from the intestines (an important part of your body) having a temporary crisis.
Bookmark and Share
"Don't worry about things that will probably never happen." - one of my friends who has plenty to worry about but picks his worries. 

Tags: