Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: fear of mixing tylenol and wine  (Read 8283 times)

Offline learning to cope

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
fear of mixing tylenol and wine
« on: November 08, 2009, 07:53:41 PM »
I came down with the same cold my kids had and have been sick since Friday. I have been taking Tylenol cold and flu pills. I took two at 7am and two at 2:30pm so this evening around 6:30pm I fixed myself a glass of apple juice and poured a little red wine in it,not thinking about the medicine, just trying to unwind. I took about 3-5 sips and now I am worried. I know Tylenol has a content in it that can cause liver damage. Should I be worried? I didn't drink much, it was mixed with apple juice and the medicine was taken earlier today. I am such a worrier. Please someone let me know before I google. I am scared of seeing all the horror stories of people having Tylenol poisoning
Bookmark and Share

Offline jesshoo37660

• Poke This Member
Re: fear of mixing tylenol and wine
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 08:05:57 PM »
By no means I am not a DR or pharmiscist but u should be in the clear just don't drink alot! You'll be OK
Bookmark and Share

Online Slangevar

• Rec's: 28
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 08:13:01 PM »
You're not going to get liver damage from one instance of Tylenol cold/flu pills & a little wine.

The consumer guidelines are designed to factor in mistakes like that... they just don't want you downing several mixed drinks (which would be bad for your liver anyway) AND taking Tylenol. Or taking Tylenol and another liver-taxing drug at the same time. Or taking a lot of Tylenol day for weeks and weeks.

So you're totally fine. That said, I'd stay away from alcohol while you're sick purely because it dehydrates you. You need all the liquids you can get!
Bookmark and Share

Offline learning to cope

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 09:39:30 PM »
thank ya'll for the advice. I am always so worried about things especially about health related issues. I just thought having a drink would take the edge off of all this anxiety as of lately.
Bookmark and Share

Offline worriedsick

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 06:29:15 PM »
This is my take on it but im not a DR. i don't even play one on TV.

alcohol is processed by the liver.  acetaminophen (tylenol active) is processed by the liver as well. Both chemicals can wear on and stress out your liver.  If you are totally drunk, and you wake up the next morning with a hangover, you aren't supposed to take tylenol because your liver is totally stressed out from processing all the alcohol and the additional chemical load might cause your liver to fail. 

I THINK this happens when you have - too much alch, too much tylenol, too much stress on the liver.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 06:35:04 PM »
My wife who is a pharmacist said Tylenol poisoning usually occurs if you consistently
drink three or more alcoholic drinks per day and take Tylenol.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 204
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 06:42:16 PM »
My wife who is a pharmacist said Tylenol poisoning usually occurs if you consistently
drink three or more alcoholic drinks per day and take Tylenol.

I do agree with this.   People tend to get very nervous about such things.  You have to realize these warnings apply to heavier drinking.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Tags: