Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Alcohol: An Anxiety No No  (Read 57717 times)

Offline polyex

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Alcohol: An Anxiety No No
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 02:57:32 AM »
I am reading that people equate the need to get drunk with using alcohol for anxiety . I suppose this is true if you are constantly having anxiety, but what about the folks that are not? I find my rather debilitating , but transitive anxiety to "go away" instantly with ONE drink, and it goes away for the whole day at least, so I don't feel the need to drink more than one drink a day. Am I just "lucky?". After one drink , it can be tempting to have MORE THAN ONE, but that is just because alcohol is fun and after one drink, having the second CAN become easier due to you inhibitions being lowered. I treat it like a medication instead of some sort of party in a can/bottle. I know some people can't, and I guess you folks know who you are, or should. I find that so many psychs find it shocking and a bad idea to have a beer to calm your anxiety, yet, think that a PRN of a Benzodiazepine is OK.  Seems ridiculous to me. Love to hear from people similar to me and problems they might have run into.
Bookmark and Share

Offline UnderControl

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 03:40:59 AM »
Just found this thread from a string search, and I am glad I did.

I now realise have been suffering from "morning" anxiety for years now. In fact, I have always been a pretty nervous person. But you wouldn't know it from the outside. On the surface, I appear calm, under control and totally rational. But man, on the inside, I can be dizzy, fuzzy, panicky, confused, anxious and generally unstable.  :dazed:

I decided to take action about 5 years ago and went to see a counsellor/ behavioural therapist. She seemed to talk through a lot of issues, but didn't deal with the anxiety. I quizzed her about a possible relationship to alcohol and she said it should help to calm my nerves. I now realise this was bollocks. I saw a psychologist, who recommended  "ACT" (acceptance and commitment therapy). ACT teaches you to identify you have anxiety, and work with it in your body. It really helps and calms me down. But I was still getting the dizzy sweaty attacks most weekday mornings, especially on a Monday.

After reading these posts, I have realised alcohol may be the cause. I am pretty fit overall, eat very healthily, but do drink too much. I really don't drink much during the week but come Thursday night, I have a few beers and some wine, Friday night, a bottle of red and 3-4 beers, Saturday night, 6 beers and some more wine and Sunday night, a bit more wine and 3-4 beers. Not excessive in isolation but 4 nights in a row has left me totally screwed by Monday morning. The reason I drink is to relieve this anxiety and relax, but the cost is becoming just too high. A recent trip to the doctor has identified I have a mild fatty liver, which is caused by excessive drinking. The doctor has recommended I cut down, and I want to take a break, to see if there is indeed a link between anxiety and alcohol.

I am going  to stop drinking completely for the next six weeks and monitor my anxiety levels. Hopefully they should get much lower. After six weeks, and hopefully a lot of soul searching regarding my relationship with alcohol, I will allow a drink or two, but strictly limited to social events, dinner parties etc. If my anxiety doesn't change, I will admit I am wrong and get smashed. LOL :laugh3:

I want to fix this problem. It has begun to seriously affect my performance at work, has possibly killed my sex life and I am absolutely sick of feeling stressed, sick and dizzy every morning.

I can give a weekly report, each Monday morning, which might help others with a similar affliction.

Thanks for the help and great reading.  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline UnderControl

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 02:05:43 AM »
Just found this thread from a string search, and I am glad I did.

I now realise have been suffering from "morning" anxiety for years now. In fact, I have always been a pretty nervous person. But you wouldn't know it from the outside. On the surface, I appear calm, under control and totally rational. But man, on the inside, I can be dizzy, fuzzy, panicky, confused, anxious and generally unstable. 

I decided to take action about 5 years ago and went to see a counsellor/ behavioural therapist. She seemed to talk through a lot of issues, but didn't deal with the anxiety. I quizzed her about a possible relationship to alcohol and she said it should help to calm my nerves. I now realise this was bollocks. I saw a psychologist, who recommended  "ACT" (acceptance and commitment therapy). ACT teaches you to identify you have anxiety, and work with it in your body. It really helps and calms me down. But I was still getting the dizzy sweaty attacks most weekday mornings, especially on a Monday.

After reading these posts, I have realised alcohol may be the cause. I am pretty fit overall, eat very healthily, but do drink too much. I really don't drink much during the week but come Thursday night, I have a few beers and some wine, Friday night, a bottle of red and 3-4 beers, Saturday night, 6 beers and some more wine and Sunday night, a bit more wine and 3-4 beers. Not excessive in isolation but 4 nights in a row has left me totally screwed by Monday morning. The reason I drink is to relieve this anxiety and relax, but the cost is becoming just too high. A recent trip to the doctor has identified I have a mild fatty liver, which is caused by excessive drinking. The doctor has recommended I cut down, and I want to take a break, to see if there is indeed a link between anxiety and alcohol.

I am going  to stop drinking completely for the next six weeks and monitor my anxiety levels. Hopefully they should get much lower. After six weeks, and hopefully a lot of soul searching regarding my relationship with alcohol, I will allow a drink or two, but strictly limited to social events, dinner parties etc. If my anxiety doesn't change, I will admit I am wrong and get smashed. LOL

I want to fix this problem. It has begun to seriously affect my performance at work, has possibly killed my sex life and I am absolutely sick of feeling stressed, sick and dizzy every morning.

I can give a weekly report, each Monday morning, which might help others with a similar affliction.

Thanks for the help and great reading. 

Well, its one week down. As promised, I am reporting on my Monday morning experience, a week without alcohol.

I must admit, my level of anxiety seemed a bit lower than a normal Monday morning. I really didn't look forward to the day, but the level of 'fuzziness' and the feeling of panic i normally experience, wasn't really there as much. I wasn't stresses about being late and didn't mind the drive to work too much.

This may just be because this particular Monday was fairly quiet, with few pressing issues to resolve, or conflict to deal with. But the signs are promising.

I am well aware it may take months for my mind and body to reset to lower levels of anxiety. I think the problem is, my mind's automatic reaction to everything these days, is to get anxious and up tight. I think the alcohol has possibly caused this state, or maybe helped it along. I am staying a non drinker for the month, then will be a lot more careful about my alcohol consumption, limiting the number of drinks in any one session and only to a couple of nights a week. And never on a Sunday night. It will take some readjustment but I have 4 weeks to reassess my relationship with alcohol. Who knows, after 4 weeks, I may feel so good, I will never want to touch it again. I get the feeling few people realise what a powerful drug alcohol is, and the potential effects on our psyche, over the long term.

Will check in next Monday.
Bookmark and Share

Offline UnderControl

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 05:42:35 AM »
Two weeks down and my anxiety has definitely reduced. I don't have that continually nervous sensation in my stomach. It's hard to explain, but I feel kind of balanced. I am still getting anxious at times during the day, but the episodes are short lived. A major difference is, if something negative occurs to me at work or at home, I cop a hit then move on and am not dwelling on the negative. A few weeks ago, a bad thing would happen at work in the morning and I was still aching in the stomach at nine o clock at night. Now, I am far less affected by negative things throughout the day.

I do miss a beer. There are periods of feeling flat and bored. Not so bad during the week but on weekends, something really seems to be missing. Weekends don't seem to be so much fun anymore. Especially after some manual labour or exercise. By late afternoon I would kill for a few coldies and a few reds with dinner, then some shots with coffee bla bla bla....sounds harmless enough but 16 plus standard drinks in one night is not a good health option, especially backed up 3 nights in a row.

So my main intent is to beat this anxiety. I cannot drink like I used to and think I can avoid the jitters returning. I need to spend the next few weeks analysing my relationship with alcohol. Is there something else missing in my life ?  Why do I feel the need to drink until I fall asleep ? Can I be happy with just a couple of drinks a day or two a week ? 

Stay tuned.
G
Bookmark and Share

Offline floridaguy65

• Rec's: 179
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 02:36:40 PM »
Hi UC:) Congrats at trying to work your way through some of your issues. Self-help is quite a powerful and lasting way to learn how to best live alongside our anxiety challenges. A lot of the time we, simply, have to live it to learn it, so to speak. Our actions and habits always matter when it comes to anxiety disorder(s) / mental health challenges. Much of the time we can feel as though we have little control over many of our actions and habits....and this tends to be the 'pull' of those mental health challenges. To me, as you move away from alcohol a little more, you'll likely find that there just isn't the need for it (that 'need' being what an anxious mind can latch upon) to the levels we can seem to be depending upon to get us through some of our trials. Moderation will always be vital in your journey with anxiety. You are beginning to have self-realization (self-affirmation) of this...which is more powerful that having me tell you this, for sure:) Best wishes, my man!

Peace and Feel Well:)
Bookmark and Share

Offline UnderControl

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2013, 01:19:31 AM »
Hi UC:) Congrats at trying to work your way through some of your issues. Self-help is quite a powerful and lasting way to learn how to best live alongside our anxiety challenges. A lot of the time we, simply, have to live it to learn it, so to speak. Our actions and habits always matter when it comes to anxiety disorder(s) / mental health challenges. Much of the time we can feel as though we have little control over many of our actions and habits....and this tends to be the 'pull' of those mental health challenges. To me, as you move away from alcohol a little more, you'll likely find that there just isn't the need for it (that 'need' being what an anxious mind can latch upon) to the levels we can seem to be depending upon to get us through some of our trials. Moderation will always be vital in your journey with anxiety. You are beginning to have self-realization (self-affirmation) of this...which is more powerful that having me tell you this, for sure:) Best wishes, my man!

Thanks for your thoughts floridaguy. Unfortunately the wheels have fallen off. Had a six pack and a bottle of red last weekend, then this weekend, two six packs and a bottle of red since Thursday. And am now feeling a bit crook. The anxiety came back this morning and it will probably be with me tomorrow at work. I have to beat this. I don't think I am at the alcoholic stage, but there is definitely some dependancy there. It makes me feel good and let's me relax on the weekend, but the side effects the next day are just not worth it. And when I crack a beer, I have another, another, another.....hey where's that six pack gone ? I need to change my relationship with alcohol, look after my health more and maybe be more honest in my relationships. Am I drinking to avoid conversations I don't want to have, or to block out reality ? maybe a bit of both. One things for sure, heavy drinking over 2-3 days makes my anxiety go through the roof.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Ptrang1987

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2013, 09:49:22 PM »
Two weeks down and my anxiety has definitely reduced. I don't have that continually nervous sensation in my stomach. It's hard to explain, but I feel kind of balanced. I am still getting anxious at times during the day, but the episodes are short lived. A major difference is, if something negative occurs to me at work or at home, I cop a hit then move on and am not dwelling on the negative. A few weeks ago, a bad thing would happen at work in the morning and I was still aching in the stomach at nine o clock at night. Now, I am far less affected by negative things throughout the day.

I do miss a beer. There are periods of feeling flat and bored. Not so bad during the week but on weekends, something really seems to be missing. Weekends don't seem to be so much fun anymore. Especially after some manual labour or exercise. By late afternoon I would kill for a few coldies and a few reds with dinner, then some shots with coffee bla bla bla....sounds harmless enough but 16 plus standard drinks in one night is not a good health option, especially backed up 3 nights in a row.

So my main intent is to beat this anxiety. I cannot drink like I used to and think I can avoid the jitters returning. I need to spend the next few weeks analysing my relationship with alcohol. Is there something else missing in my life ?  Why do I feel the need to drink until I fall asleep ? Can I be happy with just a couple of drinks a day or two a week ? 

Stay tuned.
G

Thanks for posting up your weekly thoughts after you have stayed away from drinking. After reading it does help me feel that drinking might be a major caused of my anxiety
Bookmark and Share

Offline M4P

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2013, 02:58:48 PM »
This really spoke to me.  Today is July 1 and a perfect time to assess my relationship with red wine.  It is my escape and takes away my fears but they come back much worse in the morning
Bookmark and Share

Offline cbhaga01

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • JAM
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 12:02:04 AM »
Ha!  I completely forgot that I wrote something here.  When I posted back in January 2011, I was still downing almost a fifth of Kessler every night.  Not long after that, my anxiety finally got the best of me and I decided to cut out drinking for a month.  Welp, that month has turned into almost 2 and 1/2 years, and I'm proud to say that I have NO regrets.  To anyone reading who is self-medicating with alcohol, do yourself a favor & try 30 days.  Trust me, it'll do wonders for you.
Bookmark and Share
"Living every day with a fear of dying isn't really living at all."

drunkonworry.blogspot.com

Offline Creature

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 03:44:59 AM »
I happened upon this thread while googling (I know, great thing to be doing when you have anxiety issues---especially medical) and so much of it sounds like me. D: It's not so much a morning thing for me though, it usually gets worse at night. The past few months have been really bad, and I'd been writing it off as hitting a landmark age...then I realized that things really got bad when I started drinking energy drinks again. The drinking (alcohol) was contained to the weekends, about a fifth of something to myself (I'm 5 feet tall and 110). Then it started to bleed into the week days. This was costly and I was getting hangovers, so I switched to beer or cider. Then the pattern started turning into energy drink to feel awake, alcohol in the evening to relax, and OTC sleep meds to deal with how bad I felt once I sobered up. I really try to cope with my anxiety without medicating, but this has really opened my eyes to how completely I've failed in that matter. Maybe it's time to change my attitude in that regard.

I've been weening myself off the caffeine, now having just enough soda to stop the headaches. It's been a week at less than half the dose and I feel better, not perfect, but I can sleep for more than 4 hours now. I've been swearing off alcohol for years for health reasons saying that I'll just cut back, or stick to special occasions. While I've been able to cut down on the drinking too, this strategy always fails. It always gets bad again, and I'm disturbed by the fact that despite telling myself to do otherwise I've not made it more than three days without drinking in the past month. Reading about a possible anxiety connection has further convinced me that I need to sober up and deal with my problems. I'd initially set a 2 week goal for myself, but I'm now convinced that I should go for 30 days.
Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything