Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Scared I have a brain aneurysm or brain tumor....*pouts*  (Read 12632 times)

Offline TastiiCake18

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Scared I have a brain aneurysm or brain tumor....*pouts*
« on: July 31, 2009, 08:18:52 PM »
So, I have been to the neurologist a few weeks ago. He did a couple of quick tests with me to see if my motor skills and brain was functioning as it should. I passed them all. He looked at a recent CT scan of my brain and it was normal. He wasn't concerned. My neck was stiff. He said that I was probably having a tesion headache. Pain medicine does not seem to work!!! My head hurts all around the sides, on the temples, on my face, from my shoulders and neck and up. I'm so scared that it's an aneurysm and will rupture at any moment...or I'm thinking it could be a brain tumor. My eyes feel tired sometimes when I get nauseous. I don't know what's wrong!!! I feel like something serious is about to happen or I'm going to have a stroke or die!  :traurig001: I talked with my therapist today and she discussed some ways for me to calm down and relax but I'm too anxious to even attempt to. *sad face* My neck feels tense and stiff, and I feel sick to my stomach, like I'm about to vomit. What is wrong with me??? I'm so scared  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline aletam7745

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Re: Scared I have a brain aneurysm or brain tumor....*pouts*
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 08:58:44 PM »
this is anxiety!!!!!  i get these feelings all the time and have seemed to be getting them more and more this week....i have had this same worry for 7 months almost 8.......i have had these feelings and it is tension...take a hot bath, get a massage or go to the chiropractor.....any of these things will help elieve it...rub icy hot on your neck....it will help...im glad im not the only one who feels this!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline ALH3121

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 09:06:03 PM »
 :sad0126:   I know EXACTLY how you feel.  I just posted about this not too long ago.  If your CT came out normal and you're neurologically intact then you are fine!  Head pain, stiff neck, nausea are all probably due to anxiety.  I have similar symptoms tight neck, shoulders, weird head pressures, light headed, somewhat nauseated.  This is all because of anxiety.   If it were an aneurysm, you would be in severe pain (the worst headache of your life) along with other symptoms such as sudden behavioral and vision changes.  I just went to the doctor today and mentioned the possiblity of a tumor/aneurysm and she assured me that my symptoms were coming from stress and anxiety.  Try to relax and just know that you are ok.  You (and I) have to realize that if it was something serious our symptoms would be alot worse. Feel better!   :bigsmile:
Bookmark and Share

Offline TastiiCake18

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 01:21:04 PM »
Still, it's so hard not to think it's something serious. I will try to get past this. But, I'm glad that I'm not the only one going through this. Thanks  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 226
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 01:53:38 PM »
HI tasticake.  I wrote a nice post for you this morning and just before I pushed send, our power flashed.  AAAAACCCCCKKKK.  Then my 12yr old wanted a mom and daughter shopfest so..... :winking0008:

First I want to say  I understand you having all of these fears.  Everybody here has them.  the good thing that the fears are 99% of the time unfounded OR if there is something going on, it isn't anything truly tragic.

So having said all of that :laugh3:.....

So, I have been to the neurologist a few weeks ago. He did a couple of quick tests with me to see if my motor skills and brain was functioning as it should. I passed them all. He looked at a recent CT scan of my brain and it was normal. He wasn't concerned

This is excellent!!  You've had a neuro check you out and you are good to go.  Now to get you to believe it. :winking0008:  I know the 'quick tests' seem kind of like a nothing to a lay person, but to a neuro they tell a whole bunch of stuff.  My daughters' (and my neuro) explained to me what reflexes actually tell them.  And WOW, amazing.  Neuros' look at CTscans all of the time.  They know a bad result from a good one.  And yours was normal. 

My dad's malginant brain tumor was dx'd in the 1970's with a CTscan.  My sister's benign tumor was dx'd by a CTscan in Aug '08.  It is a good diagnostic tool.  And you know all of those 'quick neuro tests'?  My father and sister both 'failed' them.  In other words those tests told the doctors' right away that something was amiss.   

My neck was stiff. He said that I was probably having a tesion headache. Pain medicine does not seem to work!!! My head hurts all around the sides, on the temples, on my face, from my shoulders and neck and up. I'm so scared that it's an aneurysm and will rupture at any moment...or I'm thinking it could be a brain tumor. My eyes feel tired sometimes when I get nauseous

Your neuro is right.  My son was horseplaying in January and stiffened up his neck.  He neglected to stretch it out because it hurt.  After 2wks he started getting headaches.  We did all of the doc stuff, including our neuro.  His headaches were in his temple area, caused visual disturbances, nausea and trouble dealing with sound.  Neuro said it was due to the tense muscles in his neck and shoulders.  We gave him aleve and alternated it with 3 advil (per doc instruction), and the headache hung on.  It lasted a week.  Once he finally gutted it out and started stretching out the tense muscles and miraculously the headache went away.  My father and sister may have had headaches now and again, but there real issues were waaaaaay more involved than a headache.  They had substantial deficits in other areas.

When I've had headaches due to somatic anxiety (like you are experiencing now), advil and like don't knock them out.  It's because the headache is caused by my mind not an organic reason.  Honestly I've taken pain meds for some headaches that just don't go away.  When that happens, it is my clue that it is an anxiety induced headache.

Anuerysms---because you fear it doesn't mean you have one.  Once you have the anuersym headache, in short order you are passing out.  If your headache is hanging on and your are still conscious, I'd take the anuerysm thought out of your head.

I talked with my therapist today and she discussed some ways for me to calm down and relax but I'm too anxious to even attempt to. *sad face* My neck feels tense and stiff, and I feel sick to my stomach, like I'm about to vomit. What is wrong with me??? I'm so scared   

What's wrong is your BEASTY is playing you.  You are having a tough time with it for sure, but it is still your anxiety that is mucking with you.  Once you can logically and emotionally accept/grasp/believe it, you'll start to feel better.  Your therapist gave you some tips to help you.  If you are too scared to attempt them, then your BEASTY is going to get the better of you.  You are giving the anxiety the power.  Don't let your fear run you over.  Try the some of the techniques your therapist gave you.  It will not be an instanteous thing.  It will take time---minute by minute, hour by hour, day by day.  It takes patience, but most of all it takes a leap of faith.  You can do it.  Take a chance.   
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline TastiiCake18

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 11:10:22 PM »
I'm really going to try to get through this. I know it's going to be hard because I think about my health every day, 24/7 and believe that I have every sickness in the world. But, your words have really comforted me. Thank you, Sixpack.  :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 226
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 08:11:08 AM »
You are welcome tasti

You'll get through this.  Get that faulty overthinking in check and your life will be much better. 
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline shrublet

• Card-carrying nerd
  • Rec's: 55
  • vine-ripened mystery
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 07:58:50 PM »
Hello,

You have already gotten some good responses, but I'd just like to share that I get headaches and stiff neck/shoulders so bad that I cannot move. I literally am flat on my back in bed or waiting beside the toilet to throw up because the pain is so bad. Tylenol and Advil can't even touch these doozies. I, too, thought it was a brain tumor, aneurysm or stroke waiting to happen for the longest time- I still worry a bit when I get these headaches, however, I had an x-ray on my spine done and I now see what the problem is. My C2 joint is really out of whack and I have lost all cervical curve in my spine- this is entirely due to bad posture, heavy backpacks and studying.

What helps me is being disciplined with stretching every day and keeping a very close eye on my posture. I also was prescriped an NSAID called Naproxen that actually manages to get rid of them for the most part when they hit (thank God!!!).

I wanted to mention this because there is this idea out there that tension headaches always present as the mild, "band around the head" type of headache. From personal experience, I can say that this is not the case for everyone.
Bookmark and Share
"We have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." (Tombstone epitaph of two amateur astronomers)

"All our knowledge begins with the senses, proceeds then to the understanding, and ends with reason. There is nothing higher than reason." (Immanuel Kant)

Offline Deegurrl

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 06:42:59 AM »
Sounds exactly how I feel just about everyday for the past 7 months :(  I know its extremely hard to do but just tell yourself there is absolutely nothing wrong with you.  I have these weird feelings like I have something wrong with my brain...Matter of fact right now it feels like there is a rock stuck in the back of my neck just at the base of my head and my neck is extremely tense along with my shoulders, because of that I have been getting headaches every single day.  Its totally anxiety and every symptom you are saying is just like anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline PanicNTheWaiting

• Just Joined!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 09:14:47 AM »
Hey just to let you know I have alot of the same things and more... Now, dont get me wrong, I have always had a fear of traveling which started about 6 years ago when I was out of town and had a allergic reaction to milk.. instead of being scared of milk, I threw it off on the being away from home. I dont consume any milk but still will cook with it ect. The past 2 months have been really bad on me. It started with problems in my right leg which no doubt was real pain because I have arthritis in my lower spine and it was affecting my siatic nerve but then I started feeling extremem heaviness in my arms, low and behold, I go to web md, which I do not suggest because I think this is where it started. Looked up my symptoms and couldnt exactly find it to a t, but saw where pains in your left arm could be a heartattack, so guess what, for the past 2 months I have been waiting on a heartattack. I have had spine xrays, ct and so much blood work, I am surprised I have any for my heart to pump. I am trying to look on the bright side of things but I know in these situations it seems like the hardest thing to do ever! I dont travel, dont socialize much and barely leave the house whenever my significant other wants a night out together. And by night out, I dont mean leave the city, leave the house overnight, I mean go to local stores, out to eat and then maybe a movie. First I have problems just doing those little things because I am always thinking in my mind about the pains I am getting ready to have in my arm/are having in my arm, what if I have a heartattack in walmart? That would be real embarressing, and it just goes on and on from there and before you know it, I have basically got myself paniced and am having so many feelings, pains and thoughts I would just rather go back home because it is like "my safe place". I am 28 years old and swear it is the craziest, scariest and most rediculous thing I have ever went through. I keep thinking and keep thinking and still nothing is found. It is very common to think there is something there because it is, anxiety is there. And everything you feel is real..to you! because it is to me. You just have to tell yourself, no matter what happens you can NOT control it and chances are, nothing is going to happen at all! Tell yourself its nothing more than anxiety/panic and those can NOT hurt you ! They can only make you feel horrible, strange and sick. I go through this everyday. If you think you have something wrong with you, its normal and its also normal to not be able to get rid of that thought, but look how many days of your life you are not getting to enjoy and are wasting away.. I can give advice and think other peoples issues with anxiety/panic or being a hypocondriac is so small and when it happens to me, I know exactly how hard it is , so I want to wish you luck with everything and remember you are NOT alone with anything.. btw, praying has got me as far as I have came today dealing with it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Elfi

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 10:03:23 AM »
I'm feeling the same way. Even though everyone around me thinks I am fine. I can't help but feel there is some undetected brain issue that will claim my life any day now. Right now I am feeling fine but I had a severe fear I had one the other week and I was laying in bed all day as if I was on my deathbed. But then the symptoms passed and I was fine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline TastiiCake18

• Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 11:28:37 PM »
[bgcolor=#ff44ff][/bgcolor]I've been having these headaches for months. I still have that reoccuring thought in my mind that it's an aneurysm or tumor but I'm getting better at dealing with it. I'm still going to see the neurologist in about a week even though my headaches have been less frequent and less painful. I want to be on the safe side. I wake up thinking that I'm going to die. I know it's not normal. But, I can't help it. I need some closure on this. I had a CT scan a couple of months ago but I think I'm going to request an MRI. Everyone's thoughts on the issue have helped me so much but my HA is very stubborn  :(
Bookmark and Share

Tags: