Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Things to keep in mind when Googling  (Read 101220 times)

Offline DrunkCanuck

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Things to keep in mind when Googling
« Reply #220 on: May 08, 2014, 11:01:22 PM »
Wonderful post!!  I am guilty of all of these habits and I'm definitely going to bookmark this post to try a help me to get through the bad days!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ihadcancer

• Rec's: 19
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #221 on: May 10, 2014, 01:29:31 PM »
Awesome post! Fit me to a T!

Sometimes a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I was in a pre nursing program until I got married but worked in hospitals and mental institutions (Private) for about 6 or 7 years. Then I worked as a Senior Medical Claims examiner for BC/BS. What I saw. What I heard. What I learned........ haunts me. I couldn't WAIT to turn 34 because that was the 'average' age for onset of Lupus and I'd seen firsthand a horrible case of Lupus (you do NOT want to know the details but let me just say the woman was in isolation because it was so horrific looking.)

One thing we've said on the colon cancer forums is our stats really are 0% or 100%.  Saying my chance of being cured after my liver resection is 50% of a cure, or 50% that it will someday show up somewhere else is wrong. Either it will or it won't.  0% or 100%. 

Thanks for this VERY helpful and funny post.  Wrong Diagnosis is EVIL! I can easily not go there! Google..... Mayo..... Healthtap..... oh my!
Bookmark and Share

Offline lebron34

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #222 on: May 11, 2014, 07:46:51 PM »
Blocking the medical sites is a great idea! I have a problem of always looking up whatever symptoms I believe I have on Google, and it makes them a 100 times worse, and as everyone here knows Googling any  "illness" is a very bad bad idea.
Bookmark and Share

Offline nandini

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #223 on: May 27, 2014, 08:27:30 AM »
I so have severe HA. I want some one to talk with. who can help get rid of this. Please help. :fragend005:
Bookmark and Share

Offline brandybran

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #224 on: June 09, 2014, 06:33:25 PM »
I'm new to this forum and I love this post. I do this all the time and it's horrible. I think I have every type of cancer I hear about. Thanks for the great post. Its funny and very true!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Anxious Brit

• Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #225 on: June 17, 2014, 12:35:44 AM »
Great post - really helpful - thanks
Bookmark and Share

Offline caligirl16

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #226 on: June 17, 2014, 03:19:39 PM »
Thank you for this post!  I'm new here, but I'm guilty of google diagnosing far too often and this post was very helpful (not to mention funny)  :action-smiley-065: :bigsmile:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Friend

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #227 on: July 09, 2014, 09:37:19 PM »
Thank you, Shrublet, for sharing this!  It's going on just shy of 5 years since you posted it, and it remains as true now as then.

One point that I would add:  The Danger of Personal Stories.  I'll read about someone's diagnosis of or experience with something, and that person seems so normal, so like me, that I assume I have the same chances of suffering the same.  I have no idea about what's not being written (prior health history, risk factors, etc.), and presume that what is stated is the whole story.  Furthermore, I trust that person's anecdotal evidence as Truth.  It's not to say that people often lie on their health blogs, etc., but it is unwise to accept them totally without other evidence.

As a lifelong sufferer of HA, I have imposed a no-Googling zone on my laptop in hopes that it will help.  Thanks, Shrublet, for your well-reasoned advice!
Bookmark and Share

Offline OneHitWonder

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #228 on: July 15, 2014, 09:36:47 PM »
I try so hard not to google but in a way it gives me a sense of comfort when I see positive comments loll .. Great post
Bookmark and Share

Offline jswierc1

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #229 on: July 17, 2014, 11:34:40 PM »
Posts like these really help me to calm down. Thanks for this!
Bookmark and Share

anything