Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Hello...I'm new here...Constantly Breathless  (Read 2273 times)

Offline Breathless

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
Hello...I'm new here...Constantly Breathless
« on: July 14, 2009, 11:30:40 PM »
I am a 29 year old health anxiety sufferer and have had this issue since I was 15. I felt I needed to post since I am currently suffering the worst since I had my first anxiety attack. I have been breathless almost everyday since the end of May. I feel for the most of the day that I am breathing air with no oxygen in it. I am frequently taking deep breaths with my chest to get that satisfying breath. I also have occassional palpitations when it is really bad and I yawn alot. This leaves my chest and shoulders in much pain. I had a PFT test that was normal, but my asthma test did show that I have mild asthma. My pulmonologist believed that this is anxiety and I have confirmed this since a inhaler does not relieve my symptoms but a .25mg of Xanax under the tongue relieves the "air hunger".

I used to worry about my skipped heart beats, MS, cancer, etc, but there is no suffering worse than being breathless all the time. Anybody else suffer with this?
Bookmark and Share
"Cowards die many times before their deaths;the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I yet have heard, it seems to me most strange that men should fear; Seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come." Julius Caesar

Offline Folkwire

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Re: Hello...I'm new here...Constantly Breathless
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 11:34:53 PM »
This is an age-old problem...if you think about breathing, you start doing it manually, and it sucks.

I dealt with this for an entire summer when I was 10 or so. Luckily it passed.
Bookmark and Share

Offline shrublet

• Card-carrying nerd
  • Rec's: 55
  • vine-ripened mystery
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 11:40:40 PM »
Hey Breathless,

I hope you'll forgive me for quoting myself- I don't mean to be lazy, but I just wrote a response to another member on a couple posts below this one who is having a similar problem to you. I am going to paste it here, if it's ok, because I think it's relevant to your situation.

I personally have dealt with air hunger ever since I have had anxiety, to the point where I'll wake up in the middle of the night in a panic, feeling like I'm suffocating. Interestingly enough, as bad as my air hunger gets sometimes, everytime I've had my blood oxygen levels checked, they've been 98-100%!

Many of us here often feel like we have trouble taking a deep breath. It's called "air hunger," and is a symptom of anxiety. Pan has made some great posts on overbreathing, which is usually the cause of air hunger for anxious people. In a nutshell, stress causes you to breathe more quickly and shallowly, which is essentially a more subtle form of constant hyperventilation. You can overbreathe without even knowing it, and in fact, most people breathe far too shallowly. Analyze your breathing for a sec- are you breathing from your belly and taking nice, deep breaths? Believe me, I've dealt with air hunger too and I know that it can be absolute torture. Whenever someone told me to "just breathe through my belly," I'd get a bit irritated and tell them I WAS breathing deeply, but I still couldn't get enough! However, when I analyzed myself a bit deeper... well, my chest and shoulders were tight, I was breathing through my throat, I slouched... overall, not very good breathing form!

I found a great diagnostic quiz one time that analyzes your breathing habits and gives you suggestions on how to improve. It's not related to any lung/heart disease or anything, which is actually the only reason I'm posting it. Otherwise, I'd be very hesitant to post a health-quiz...  but I think it's quite helpful.

HOWEVER, I don't take any responsibility if anyone decides to check their breathing every five minutes!   This quiz is about IMPROVING your breathing, and thus many aspects of your life and health, as opposed to giving someone fodder to "diagnose themselves" with a disease. Sorry, just wanted to put a bit of a disclaimer there, because I'd feel really bad if this upsets someone. The site also has many other great instructions on how to breath more efficiently. 

Here's the quiz: http://www.breathing.com/tests.htm

I often get out of breath walking, or even speak. And sure, I'm a bit out of shape, but I'm not THAT out of shape. Overbreathing causes us to not get enough air, and then we have to breath faster/harder to keep up.
Bookmark and Share
"We have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." (Tombstone epitaph of two amateur astronomers)

"All our knowledge begins with the senses, proceeds then to the understanding, and ends with reason. There is nothing higher than reason." (Immanuel Kant)

Offline Breathless

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 12:00:51 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I have had this "air hunger" problem intermittingly for three years and had two cardiac work ups and two lung function tests during this period. This time it has struck with a vengence, but my pulmonologist believes it is anxiety and I believe it is anxiety as well, but being a hypochondriac, I can never be sure :spineyes:. I am going to keep plugging away till this dark cloud passes.
Bookmark and Share
"Cowards die many times before their deaths;the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I yet have heard, it seems to me most strange that men should fear; Seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come." Julius Caesar

Offline Breathless

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 12:02:01 AM »
BTW, my blood oxygen is always 98-100% as well everytime!
Bookmark and Share

Offline AruroGotti

• Rec's: 5
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 02:02:25 PM »
Had the same issue when I had my heart anxiety, and it is the worst besides a full-on panick attack. I was doing a clinical rotation in a hospital in which I would constantly have to minitor O2 sats on patients while rehabing...I would check my sat levels by the minute..

How did I recover?..The day after all my heart tests were complete, I didnt and still have not had the breathlesness feeling, it was all anxiety, I was convinced I had heart failure

You just have to convince yourself its anxiety, but just know your not the only one that has gone through this, its rough but youll pull through
Bookmark and Share
RIP Arturo Gatti April 15, 1972-July 9, 2009...***www.vitaminDcouncil.org***

Offline Breathless

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 10:09:00 PM »
Not to bump this thread back up, but I took a brisk walk this evening since I am so over this breathlessness. The brisk walk actually improved the breathlessness, which should single out lung or heart disease (I have tested negative for both). The Xanax only helps for a couple of hours and the symptoms return. I am getting set up with a psychiatrist and therapist and am going to beat this breathlessness.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Breathless

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 03:20:40 PM »
Bump

It's amazing how after 4 years I still have this lol
Bookmark and Share

Offline Breathless

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 06:29:12 PM »
This is back again...awful.
Bookmark and Share

Offline naynaydevil2

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 08:30:17 PM »
I get this ALL THE TIME. As a matter of fact, I had it horrible today, all day. Constantly yawning, trying to take in deep breaths and just feeling like "your not getting that breath". My therapist says to try to just relax and breath in with your abdominal area instead of your lung area..(not sure if that makes sense to you but she showed me how to do it) it helps sometimes but not alot. To top it off, I have asthma and sometimes can't tell the difference and end up over using my rescue inhalor...uugghh. So, yes it is anxiety..I've had several heart/cardio tests, lung tests etc. And I'm the same way. I get it everyday if not every other day. It does suck!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: