Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: I always feel like my heart is just going to stop.  (Read 23651 times)

Offline whenktattacks

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
I always feel like my heart is just going to stop.
« on: April 23, 2009, 06:38:47 PM »
I always have this feeling like my heart is going to just stop. If I am sitting on the couch I can feel it beating so I take my pulse (like 100 times a day) and it's a normal pulse but it feels like my heart is struggling. I have seen the doctor and even had an ekg done. Everything came out normal. But I still think about it all day everyday! HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline thatsme36

• Poke This Member
Re: I always feel like my heart is just going to stop.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 08:06:44 PM »
Now I know how this feels.  I have taken my pulse thousands of times a day! I am on a HIV rant right now but it goes between HIV and heart problems.  I have terrible palps, PVC's, and tachycardia, I also feel like it is working too hard.  I am an RN and do know a little especially with all the heart problems I have had.  Hearts don't just stop without a reason...those reasons in young people are rare but is normally long QT and dialated cardiomyopathy that sometimes extreme sports people get that ALREADY have the genetic defect.  So you had a EKG, that rules out long QT, the doctor listen to your heart which they could hear sluggishness and such, so your heart will not just stop.  I took my pulse so many times I have permenant fingermarks on my neck, this is just HA (easy to say except when my heart starts going).  Anyways you will be fine.  I worked in the ER and had a lot of people come in with heart probl;ems, ALL the young ones who were actually worried about it, there was NOT nothing at all wrong and they were sent home.  I do hope this helps.  God bless I will pray for you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 09:12:42 PM »
My best friend is a cardiologist and he said if your heart was truly weak and
struggling that it most likely would have showed up on the EKG and you would
have other symptoms. I would try not to worry.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline amers

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 04:29:01 AM »
I know how you feel....I started worrying about this in childhood.

As a little kid, I'd fall asleep with my hand over my heart, I was so terrified my heart would stop I had to keep my hand on it all night to reassure myself it was still beating.

I know it can be hard to make yourself stop thinking about it.  I think the other posters made great points about an ekg showing a weak.  If your heart was weak and in danger of stopping it would have shown up on the test so you should be fine because your test was normal.

I wish I had some better advice for you!  If it helps any, just know you're not alone in worrying about this.  It can be overwhelming but I find it helpful sometimes to try and distract myself, either by calling someone on the phone for reassurance, or to talk about something else to distract me. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline AruroGotti

• Rec's: 5
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 09:19:55 PM »
Im in your same boat, it comes and goes, but its horrible...Your preoccupied with your heart beat, and truly believe its going to just give out and stop.
Bookmark and Share
RIP Arturo Gatti April 15, 1972-July 9, 2009...***www.vitaminDcouncil.org***

Offline el-k

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 03:46:59 PM »
I've been into the "pulse taking" lately and my poor wife takes it for me since I'm usually too much in a panic to do it myself.....I've been trying hard to re-focus my thoughts when I start dwelling on my heart, but it is difficult....just find comfort in the previous posts of people who know a lot about the subject - you're going to be fine
Bookmark and Share

Tags: