Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Hearing pulse in one ear and slightly high blood pressure  (Read 7515 times)

Offline countrygirl

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
Hearing pulse in one ear and slightly high blood pressure
« on: March 30, 2009, 06:10:11 PM »
About a month ago I started to hear a hiss in one ear that was in time with my heart beat- it got louder if I turned my head to the right of moved my jaw to right and quieter to the left.  I have neck damage and tmj and have had lots of weird ear noises over the years in that ear so wasn't too freaked until I remembered that hearing a pulse in one ear can be sign of impending haemoraghic stroke!

Saw Gp today and explained fears and she looked in my ear and tested arteries in neck and said all normal and that is was simple tinnitus caused by a blood vessel becoming audible in my inner ear - probably caused by muscle tension from my other neck/jaw problems. 

My bp is usually 135/78 but today when she took it it was 160/90 which freaked me - I did need to have a wee so I know that can put it up.
She wasn't bothered and said it would be stress of worrying and it was only slightly high on the top reading. She said to have it done again in a month but she isn't worried at all.

but of course now I am panicking that the high blood pressure will burst the blood vessel in my head that is just waiting to pop.

Help!
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 61
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
Re: Hearing pulse in one ear and slightly high blood pressure
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 06:36:13 PM »
Your blood pressure could be elevated for a number of reasons. It may have
just have been you were anxious or just an unusual circumstance. In order for
a blood vessel to burst in your brain, your blood pressure would have to be
extremely high or high for a long period of time. Your blood pressure is not
extremely high. In order to lower you can practice a few things. One is to
exercise, don't drink caffeine, cut back stress (fight or flight syndrome),
take omega 3's, magnesium, practice deep breathing, get enough sleep, maintain
proper weight, eat foods low in fat and higher in fiber, etc.
I would not panic over one reading like you had. High blood pressure is based on
measurements over a period of time.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Born2Fly

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 02:29:21 AM »
My blood pressure is always elevated when I go to the doctor, be it that I'm actually sick or just going in for a check up. (Actually it seems to be higher when I'm just going in for a routine check up. Go figure.) The minute I walk into the door, I can feel my pulse rise. This is especially annoying when I go in for check ups with the cardiologist. I have a fast heart rate, so I was put on medication to slow it down. It's definitely helped, but when I go into his office - it spikes up again. I finally told him how I get nervous when I go in and he apologized over and over for making me feel nervous, to which I felt bad! lol.. I told him it wasn't actually HIM making me nervous. (I actually feel very comfortable with him.) But, when I'm sitting in the waiting room and then taking my blood pressure (there's something that makes me nervous about that cuff being on my arm, for some odd reason.) .. I get really nervous. Since, I've told him that.. he doesn't mention my higher than normal blood pressure readings. He's totally fine with it and he knows that it's just my anxiety.

Have you ever heard of White Coat Phobia? Apparently it's common. Lots of people have higher than normal blood pressure readings when they go into the doctor's office.
Bookmark and Share
There is music, if you listen, in the rhythm of each breath we take.

Offline Xalatimo

• Rec's: 40
  • Live.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 02:52:44 AM »
I know it's easier than done, but try not to worry if your doctor isn't.  Trust your doctor (or doctors).  Tinnitus is very common for those who have anxiety.  I think what happens when you go to the doctor is that you probably get nervous and this raises your readings.
Bookmark and Share
-X-

Offline sixpack

• Rec's: 181
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 07:21:39 AM »
my father in law has 'white coat phobia'.  His doc has him take his BP at home.  it works for him
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state. 

Offline countrygirl

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 12:28:14 PM »
Thanks everyone your replies are much appreciated. I am doing all the things you should for blood pressure - I had recently put on some weight so am now being very good and getting more exercise - I already take magnesium omegas and garlic etc but making sure I take them everyday. I am also practising slow breathing for 10 mins a day which is also said to help.

As for the ringing sound in my ear in time with hearbeat I am still very freaked about this - I looked on a website for tinnitus and they said pulsatile tinnitus should be investigated in case it cause is a serious vascular one B-;I really need to read that.  I had a brain mri about 8 months ago that was normal but am now fretting that I need another one plus a carotid ultrasound.

I have found out today that the problem seems all to do with movement of my jaw on left side as if I stick my jaw forward the noise gets very loud as it does on moving jaw to right also if I press my scalp around left ear I can get it to pulse in time with the pressing!  Also when I walk the noise pulses in time with my footsteps!!!!!!!!!!

My husband has convinced me to wait a couple of weeks to see if it gets better before I go back to Dr and only then go back and ask for tests to stop me worrying I have a serious vascular problem!!  I hate having to ask as it shows I don't trust my GP.

I even asked my husband to take me to hospital if i suddenly get a bad headache and confused as it would mean a blood vessel had burst in my head!

I know my husband wouod not worry if he had gone to Dr with same thing and she had told him it was very unlikely to be antying serious and oh how I wish i was like that.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 61
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 01:18:12 PM »
My doctor once told me that usually you don't need a carotid artery duplex unless
you are over 50 and a smoker.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline AYKM

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 01:21:40 PM »
I had something like this once too. I found out that if I clenched my jaw I could hear it, but if I unclenched my jaw, I couldn't. Eventually it just went away. Sometimes it will come up again, but for a few minutes and then go away. I asked my husband and he said he could hear it too if he concentrates on it. I guess it's like anything we do...there may be little benign things going on with our bodies all the time, but once we stop and focus on them they seem alot bigger than what they are.

I will tell you what everyone on here has told me, with all the tests that  you have had done, they would have detected somthing and if they were concerned about the BP, they would do something.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: