Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Welcome to 'Personal Success Stories'  (Read 6424 times)

Offline GreyGoose

• Administrator
  • Rec's: 37
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Help through caring
    • Poke This Member
Welcome to 'Personal Success Stories'
« on: March 16, 2009, 12:46:50 PM »
Greetings!

Welcome to the 'Personal Success Stories' forum. Have you made a successful recovery from anxiety, hypochondria, OCD or any of the other conditions listed on this forum?. First of all, congrats!. Next, please share with us how you did it, what worked and what didn't so we can all benefit from your personal victory over this beast.

- Warm regards, GreyGoose
Bookmark and Share
Help Through Caring

Offline Anxious,woman

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Welcome to 'Personal Success Stories'
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 05:11:53 PM »
HI I JUST WANT TO SAY I HAD AGORAPHOBIA FOR 8 YEARS I WAS IN THE HOUSE ALL THAT TIME NEVER WENT OUT,BUT I GOT HELP WITH THERAPY IT WAS HARD WORK TOOK ME ABOUT A YEAR TO GET OVER THE FEAR GOING OUT,I'M OKAY NOW BUT I STILL HAVE TO BE WITH SOMEONE,IT WAS THE DEATH OF MY BROTHER THAT CAUSE IT THEN I LOST MY JOB SO I STAYED IN ,GOT SO SCARED OF PEOPLE,BUT NOW I.VE LOTS OF FRIENDS.I JUST WISH I HAD GOT HELP SOONER, :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline jerseygurl24

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 04:15:00 AM »
I have had anxiety for a year and I have healed more than alot still working on the stress anxiety :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline JustWant2bWell

• Mood: Cold
    Cold
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 04:17:06 PM »
No personal success story in its entirety yet but once I do, I'll be sure to post and make myself available for others who truly have went through this nonsense. 

To the stubborn amygdala that we ourselves may have conditioned to react the way it does without an 'off' switch, and the suffering it causes to its subsequent victims and families, I sincerely wish the best to those in finding proper treatment.  ~The sooner the better.
Bookmark and Share
"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."

Offline nictait

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 05:49:47 PM »
I had my first episode of health related anxiety when I was 23 yrs old.  I am now 37 yrs old and experience less anxiety each year - with the help of medication and periodic therapy.  I have the odd relapse but have educated myself on the physical side effects and how to hit them straight on as soon as I feel them.  I have a great doctor too who works with me. They fact that we all reach out for resources like this website makes us successful!
Bookmark and Share

Offline peterpan2013

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 05:34:49 PM »
I just want to share this with everyone
I have suffered with Anxiety and panic attacks for nearly 10 years now
I was on meds but stopped due to lack of been able to focus or concentrate on anything
and not to mention the side effects
I`ve been to therapists who like to dig up everything from your past and can make matters worse
Anyway to cut a long story short
I was at home for Christmas and was having panic after panic and desperately went
looking for help online ...which i`ve done a million times before
This time i was fortunate to find this woman ..Dr Claire Weeks
I downloaded her recordings and after listening to them for the first time i felt this was someone who really
understood this illness
she explains everything in simply detail and really puts your mind at ease about the symptoms of this disorder
I think everyone who suffers from Anxiety and panic will benefit from her recordings and books ..help for your nerves
I have so many books on the subject ..but am i sure glad to find this woman
Please check her stuff out
I really think this woman is the leading authority on this disorder
And i think that this could really help a lot of people
Because its really helped and still helping me a lot

Bookmark and Share

Offline NoMoreXiety

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 12:30:59 AM »
WARNING; THIS IS EXTREMELY LONG:
     Just like many of you here, my anxiety/panic came from nowehere. I had never heard of anxiety before in my life and had no idea what was happening when I had my first panic attack.  It just happened and I panicked, went to the ER, etc. etc. etc. (we ALL know the routine) So because something like this had never happened to me before, I automatically assumed that something MUST be wrong with me for me to react this way, however after countless tests and doctors visits I realized that I was perfectly fine. How could this be? I wondered. This general wonder turned into an everyday obsession with my health. In my mind I absolutely just couldn’t be healthy, not after feeling what I felt during that attack, so every single twitch, pain,  ache that my body had I thought that something was wrong. I was developing the dreaded health anxiety….ugh. Eventually, my worrying turned into very real physical symptoms, headaches, shaking, sharp head pains, muscle twitches and aches, facial hurting and numbness, hand and finger numbness/tingling,  derealization, and just an overall nervous feeling. Yet, when I went to the doctor I was still FINE! Doctors looked at me with smirks like “What is wrong with this woman?” and I felt ashamed for feeling this way.  When in reality they just didn’t understand how hard it was to control. I didn’t want to be sitting in a doctors office scared and afraid who would choose that? I wanted to be out enjoying life and being the person I used to be!  It was then that I realized that I had to help MYSELF… I realized that family, friends, and doctors are great but can only do but so much, life goes on, and I had to pick myself up and realize, Hey I’m healthy! Let me appreciate that and be happy about it before something serious really does happen and I have a real reason to be upset. This started in April 2013 and now 8 months later I can say that I truly feel like I’m on the road to recovery.  I’ve never taken any medication so I will share with you all the things that have greatly helped me in hopes that I may be able to help someone else who may be struggling…..The main things that seemed to help me was  (1.) Prayer and remembering that God didn’t create us to have the spirit of fear, he made us in HIS image.  (2.) Constant self talks,  (3.) loads of REST, atleast 9 hours a night, and (4.) Drinking a magnesium supplement called Natural Calm which can be found at any health food store. This drink seriously worked wonders! (5.) Exercise. These things have helped immensely to the point that the only time I feel slightly anxious is during the time before my period (sorry tmi) but that used to happen even before all of this started.  My self talks consisted of me just telling myself to calm down, everything is fine. I tell myself “Remember when these symptoms happened before? Did anything happen? No? Alright well nothing is going to happen this time either” And I would try and do something to take my mind off of what I was feeling and sure enough whatever I was feeling would disappear. Anxiety is truly a mind over matter situation. Even though I’m not anxious anymore, I still get physical symptoms and I realize hey it took me about 5 months for these symptoms to appear so I can only assume that it will take that time for them to go away. And I also notice that when I give these symptoms the attention they so desperately want, they get worse! However, when I’m just like “eh okay a muscle twitch blah”, it goes away. Anxiety is like a monster, that disguises itself in as many creative ways as possible. Its like oh so youre not scared anymore? Well ah-ha I shall turn into another symptom! Lol it seems like its never ending when in reality IT IS!  We can do THIS! Even if you don’t believe it, just tell yourself that you’re okay and then your mind will start to believe it. Hopefully this post will help atleast one person in some way and give you the encouragement, courage, and coping skills you need to get through this! LIVE,LAUGH,AND LOVE!
Bookmark and Share

Offline danilee4me

• There is nothing to fear but fear itself.
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • LIFE IS GOOD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 08:29:16 AM »
NoMoreXiety- I literally feel like I wrote this post. This is me to a "t".  Everything you said is something I have experienced,  thought or felt. I also am newly realizing that I have some gluten sensitivity issues which if you haven't looked into that it could also help. You just have to "try" to eliminate gluten from your diet for at least two weeks or longer and see how you feel. If you're not sure if it's had any positive effects reintroduce it to know for sure! Good luck on your anxiety free journey!
Bookmark and Share
I am not afraid!

Offline Julie204

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 10:03:20 PM »
nomorexiety your story is nearly identical to mine thank you for your,post, so encouraging that there is,light at the end of this tunnel
Bookmark and Share