Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Depersonalization and losing sense of Self  (Read 5857 times)

Offline sarah78

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Depersonalization and losing sense of Self
« on: February 27, 2009, 04:41:35 PM »
Just wondering how many people out there, who suffer with Dp or did, had moments where they felt like they had lost their sense of self, or who they are?

It happens to me momentarily and is so frightening that I worry it will happen permanently. Is this even DP? ( I hope so!)

Thanks! :-)
Bookmark and Share

Offline daybyday

• Poke This Member
Re: Depersonalization and losing sense of Self
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 04:48:35 PM »
I know what you mean.  I was walking to the mail box today and felt like I was disappearing, not really "with" myself, if you know what I mean.  And I was thinking, maybe this is the rest of my life.  Maybe I will remain just a ghost of who I used to be, no more real happiness, no more getting excited about things, no more feeling overwhelming love or closeness to those I used to love.  What an existence.  I miss the old me.  I want me back.  But I don't know that I'm still there.  So, I do know what you mean.  I'll be in the grocery store and suddenly not know who I am, what I'm doing, just trying to grab a THOUGHT, any thought.  It's like I am emptied out of everything, including my sense of self.  It's kind of like you're on a 30 second delay, like on the radio, and you're not quite in synch.  Does this sound like what you mean?
Bookmark and Share

Offline firebird

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 07:16:31 PM »
This dissappears mostly after a certain age. Once you build up a stable inner center it won't be able to come back. Never ever.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sarah78

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 08:38:18 PM »
Daybyday, that is it exactly.Like a 30 second delay, its very odd and eerie. I try not to pay attention to it, but the lingering anxiety always brings me down..

I have gotten over most of my anxiety symptoms, I hope this one fades in time too..

Thanks firebird, I was actually going to send you an email today, because I read that you had it and because your a Christian, I was curious if it affected your faith at all..

It has affected mine to a degree, but I am working my way through it.

Well daybyday I know we're not alone, not that its very comforting, but at least we have support :-)

Take Care!
Bookmark and Share

Offline daybyday

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 08:57:43 PM »
I would disagree about the age thing.   I think if we had a stable inner core we probably wouldn't be plaqued with anxiety.  I am 59, so the age thing doesn't work for me.  I actually coped quite well until I was in an armed robbery two years ago, and that is when I lost myself, I think.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sarah78

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 09:05:49 PM »
I have read that it improves with age, but I don't know how valid that was, but apparently in your case not at all. I am sorry to hear that you were in a armed robbery, that must have been very traumatic. Had you dealt with anxiety prior to that?

Also, have you been to a therapist regarding these feelings? Have they given you an explanation as to what
Dp really is?

Are you on meds?

Sorry for all the questions, I no longer have medical support and really need to find some.

Sarah
Bookmark and Share

Offline daybyday

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 08:21:24 AM »
I never really had much trouble with anxiety before, just situational from time to time.  Nothing like this.  I have had a few episodes of depression (postpartum and after a neck injury).  I did not take medication other than Xanax on a prn basis when it was too much.  I just lived with it and suffered.  I have been seeing a therapist for the last two years.  The state paid for me to receive so many therapy sessions as a victim of a violent crime, so I figured why not?  I lucked out and see a wonderful woman who has become a great friend.  I refused medication because I felt I should be able to work through this.  The DP is really scary.  I thought I was going insane.  But it is merely a brain reaction to severe stress and overload.  You are just short-circuited, so to speak.  Think of it this way:  if you broke your leg you would be handicapped and unable to use that leg as it SLOWLY healed, but eventually you are able to adapt to this situation and also you will heal.  Same with your poor overworked brain.  All the stress, worry, trauma, lack of sleep or interrupted sleep, affects the sensitive chemical balance in your brain.  Just accept it, ride it out, and it will go away.  You will not disappear or fade out of existence, and if you can reduce the amount of worry about this phenomenon that you experience, it will eventually fade away.  Take care and trust in your body's ability to heal, because you will.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tigerpaw

• Rec's: 32
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 12:08:35 PM »
Getting better with age is not a true statement that you can take to the bank.  OVERWHELMING ANXIETY which we are talking about can start and stop at any age.

The derealization symptom was possibly my worst most frightening symptom.  Thank God with meds and therapy I don't have that in such overwhelming waves anymore.

Bookmark and Share
Psalm 34:4 'He saved me from all that I feared."......

Offline moog4ever

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 10:11:30 PM »
I'm so happy i found this thread. although its very old it was very comforting to see someone write down EXACTLY what i feel. i think the 2nd or 3rd post the longer paragraph...i forgot to look at the username but i'm soo happy! thank youu
Bookmark and Share

Tags: