Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Medical conditions that can cause anxiety??  (Read 4001 times)

Offline Oceanminded

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Medical conditions that can cause anxiety??
« on: April 18, 2008, 10:45:25 PM »
So I was wondering if there are some medical conditions that can cause anxiety, panic disorder, depression, etc. I've had all the normal blood work done (several times) but was curious if anyone else new of certain conditions that most Doctors may overlook. I'm always maybe thinking that there's something else medically that could cause my anxiety and panic. I'm sure there's others that do this as well. Can food allergies brought on later in life cause anxiety problems. I'm just wondering if there's something else that I could eliminate as the culprit to my anxiety and panic.  ;*)

Thanks!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline mommy_2_4_babies

• Licensed Practical Nurse
  • Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Re: Medical conditions that can cause anxiety??
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 12:42:14 PM »
Thyroid Problems can cause anxiety, polycythemia, SVT, MVP, just about any heart condition but most of the time it really is just normal anxiety from unknown cause :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
Everyone wants to be happy nobody wants to be in pain, but you can't have a rainbow with out any rain

Offline ocdengineer

• Rec's: 30
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 04:52:16 PM »
Hypoglycemia can mimic anxiety disorder, in fact simply not eating regularly can cause people with anxiety more anxiety.  Notice your schedule and when your anxiety is the worst.  If you notice it is worse before a meal and better once you have eaten then it could be low blood sugar.  It should be especially bad in the morning as well.

Later,
OE
Bookmark and Share

Offline red

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 05:19:41 PM »
I had both Thyroid problem and then SVT's (Which scared the Bleep out of me) and both of them caused my GAD, HA problem.

Of cause they have both been cured with Operations and meds, but the anxiety is still here!

I think that if we started to just accept that we have anxiety, then we would get better a little bit everyday. :yes:

If only we could listen to the doctors and just get on with our lives :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline firebird

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 08:36:12 PM »
Doctors are ignorant. They don't know **** about GAD. All they do is precsribe medication hoping things will get better. Sorry to say that, but most patients with GAD know more about their disease than most doctors.

Oceanminded, are you hoping that there is some underlying cause for your anxiety, or are you afraid of an organic disease?

greetz
Bookmark and Share

Offline Xalatimo

• Rec's: 40
  • Live.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 01:07:23 AM »
sometimes there is no culprit people are just predisposed to having anxiety, it can be genetic.  also technically any disorder can cause anxiety...if someone has a seizure and freak out about it..boom, panic disorder can be the result so dont go on a mission to try and find out why you have anxiety the best thing to do is find out how to eliminate or reduce it :)
Bookmark and Share
-X-

Offline sportybears

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 02:38:55 PM »
A few medical conditions that mimic anxiety are hyper/hyo thyrodism, hypoglycemia, adreanal exhaustion, food allergies, PMS, and toxicity.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Daisylen

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 06:41:24 PM »
Food allergies are a major trigger for my anxiety.  Wheat and soy are the ones that seem to cause me the worst reactions.  I've changed my diet so that I try to avoid eating these things and my anxiety, while still there, has improved probably 85%.  I was having nightly anxiety attacks and now they are much less frequent.  I also have more energy.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Oceanminded

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 12:46:10 AM »
Are there any really good acurate tests for food allergies. I've definitely noticed when I eat sometimes my heartrate goes up and I get real anxious. Its hard to tell if the two are connected in anyway because there's times when my anxiety is real bad and i haven't eaten anything in awhile. :spineyes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline red

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 05:08:04 AM »
Interesting! i have been noticing this for a while now. I feel really anxious after food and uncomfortable. Heart rate sores and im so agitated. I thought it was just normal for your heart to go faster cos you have to digest your food, but maybe it is an allergy. ;*)

Bookmark and Share

Offline Daisylen

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 07:00:37 AM »
You can have an allergist do a blood test or skin prick test to diagnose food allergies.  (I had the blood test.) If you suspect one particular food, you can try an elimination diet for a couple of weeks and see if it helps.  Just search for "elimination diet" and I'm sure you'll find some info. on how to try it yourself.  Maybe keep a food journal first and notice if anything particular seems to trigger your anxiety. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: