Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Bulbar ALS fears growing  (Read 876 times)

Offline evnelson9999

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Bulbar ALS fears growing
« on: September 27, 2013, 11:19:06 PM »
I'm 24 and I've had my share of health fears over the last couple of years but nothing has topped this.  A couple of weeks ago I started having weakness in my pinkie and ring finger.  It was so bad that at one point I was having trouble writing.  This perceived weakness led to ALS fears.  I've also been feeling electrical sensations in my legs.  I have a constant buzzinf feeling under my left shoulder blade.  Now for the last few weeks I'm having trouble swallowing.  It feels weak.  No problems with food or drink, but saliva is an issue.  My voice is also hoarse, and I'm having trouble singing in the car.  My voice cracks a lot. I don't think I'm slurring.

I do have recurring wisdom tooth pain, and I'm stuffed up a lot so I'm not sure if I just have a bad sinus infection?

Medication for reflux doesn't seem to be doing anything. I hope it's ALS, as it's unlikely at my age, but I can't think of anything else.
Bookmark and Share

Offline colls22

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Bulbar ALS fears growing
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 01:50:00 AM »
Where do I start. First of all, I've been there, so I do get it.

That being said...if stats make a difference for you at all, ALS at your age, not to mention bulbar onset, is so incredibly rare. It would be like winning the lottery, X100!

As well, and I say this from experience, swallowing difficulties do not present as you thinking you have issues, you start choking on your liquids and solid, as muscle weakness causes you to aspirate your food. Not trouble, choking.

Your mind can play terrible tricks with you. I've had it all - hoarseness, thinking I'm slurring, issues swallowing. Knock on wood, nothing has ever come of them. So, please trust me when I say nothing is wrong with you. Well, aside from anxiety :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline evnelson9999

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 10:51:47 PM »
Thanks.  It's nice to hear that others experience these seemingly unexplainable symptoms.

If I may ask, did you ever find a cause for your symptoms?
Bookmark and Share

Offline chasingdogma

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • How I Choose to Feel is How I Am
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 01:39:43 PM »
ALS is a motor neuron disease. Electric sensations are not a symptom of ALS as those are due to sensory nerves misfiring and occur very frequently with anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline TwitchyMcGee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 02:56:55 PM »
Here's some reasons why you don't have ALS:
1) Sensations are not part of ALS.
2) Your apparent symptoms are moving too fast and in an inconsistent pattern.  You're all over the place.
3) If you're truly having trouble writing, you should have atrophy in the muscles of your had.  You didn't mention anything about that.
4) Trouble swallowing in terms of ALS means you choke on food.  Mostly liquids.
5) You're not slurring.  Even if you think you are slurring, you aren't.  People will definitely tell you if you are slurring.  Things like that are pretty noticeable to an outside observer.

If you elaborate on your symptoms some more, I'm pretty sure we an find even more reasons why you don't have ALS.
Bookmark and Share

Offline concernedcass

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 03:17:28 PM »
The weakness in your pinky and ring finger could be from a trapped nerve. I agree with everyone else here that you don't have ALS. I have had this fear myself, but with lack of progression I clearly do not. From what I have read, bulbar ALS is the rarest onset. Also, as the other stated, there are no sensory symptoms involved with ALS. Hope you feel better soon.
Bookmark and Share

Offline colls22

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 05:07:48 PM »
Yes, I did find a reason for my issues - reflux. I had a swallow study done, and it showed up there. Another very common issue with anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline evnelson9999

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 01:07:19 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  Sometimes it's nice to have some sense slapped into you.  Met with the ENT yesterday and he didn't see anything serious...though I didn't ask about ALS.  I have a barium swallow tomorrow, I'll see how that goes.
Bookmark and Share

Offline evnelson9999

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 01:13:14 PM »
Had my swallow study. The ENT said everything looked normal. Does anyone know if a negative swallow study rules put ALS?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: