Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: High WBC and Lymphocyte Count... Help Please!  (Read 1453 times)

Offline mommyHA

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
High WBC and Lymphocyte Count... Help Please!
« on: September 25, 2013, 02:08:23 PM »
Hello everyone!

My HA has been so bad since last month when I had my CBC done and it showed an elevated lymphocyte count. Last Saturday, I had a repeat CBC in urgent care and now my lymphocyte count went higher and my WBC count is elevated as well. It concerns me because I have no infection anywhere, no cough, no colds, negative test for UTI during both times. I'm scared that it might be chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL). I know that CLL progresses slowly with rising WBC and lymphocyte count as time goes by and wouldn't show any symptom in the early stages. My doctor ordered for a repeat CBC in a month, and it's driving me crazy that I have to wait for a month!

These are the results of my WBC and lymphocyte counts on August 16 and September 21:

WBC (normal range: 4.0 - 11.0):
August 16 = 9.4
September 21 = 11.6

Absolute Lymphocyte Count (normal range: 1.2 - 3.4)
August 18 = 3.8
September 21 = 4.3

My % lymphocytes were normal on both dates, so my doctor said it shouldn't be something bad. But I read somewhere that the absolute lymphocyte count is more relevant than the % lymphocytes.

I'm REALLY scared that this is CLL that's progressing!  :( I have to wait for one month before finding out what's wrong! It's driving me crazy! My son and bf are really affected by my anxiety and depression over this :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline eddarun

• Rec's: 5
    • Poke This Member
Re: High WBC and Lymphocyte Count... Help Please!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 02:33:19 PM »
I had a CBC done  at the hight of my lymphoma fear.  Cant remember my exact count but it was almost identical to yours, WBC just above 11 and lymphoytecount just over 4. I freaked out and thought this was proof that I has lymphoma...again my docs were not the least bit worried.  I had another CBC done a month ago, sertain that the counts were higher but the WBC was within the normal range and lymphocyte count was just under 3, on the lower side of normal.  WBC is very very sensitive and raises with the slightes infection you would never notice ig even know you had, its not the first time my WBC has been high without no apparent reason and the same gows for my son.  I never wondered about it before my HA kicked in.  Leukemia counts are not just a little off like that, the docs know what they are looking for...
Bookmark and Share
“I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.”  - Mark Twain

Offline mommyHA

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 04:29:04 PM »
Thank you for your reply eddarun! It just worries me because I don't think I have an infection of any sort for it to go up. Also, because of the pattern of both WBC and lymphocyte counts going up after a month. With chronic lymphocytic leukemia, the WBC and lymphocyte counts are the ones that go up with time. My bf's aunt is taking me to go get more blood tests today with her friend that works in a lab. Hopefully I get answers for peace of mind!
Bookmark and Share

Offline mel4962

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 10:59:17 PM »
Oh good lord do I know how you feel. 1st...im not sure why they retested after the first test...the wbc was normal and the lymphs only a few 10ths off.....this is a normal daily fluctution.  The wbc of 11 is only marginally elevated. Most labs normal goes up to 11.   I went through this. My wbc and neutrophils were elevated....my wbc ranged from 11.7 to 14......I was sent to a hematologist.....he checked for EVERYTHING!!  I flipped the f@! K out.   I was at the hemo for almost a year getting blood tests every 3 months.  In june finally my wbc went down to 8.6 and now in september is 10.8...i just got over a tummy issue and had a slighr cold....but 10.8 is completely normal and a normal fluctuation....I was released from the hemo.  He said absolutely not leukemia if it goes into the normal catagory after being elevated.....it would just continue to elevate higher and higher. Never lowering into normal.   He said smoking...exercise.....anxiety...stress ...many many things make the wbc demarginate.   Mine was consistantly elevated for 9 months before going back to normal.  Its very common to fall outside of the normal 4 to 11 count.  11.4 is not even relevant.,..its normal.  A scratch....slight sniffel....your menstural cycle. Bug bite anything can make it elevate.   Chronic leukemias have VERY high wbc waaaaaaaaay passed 20 and normally around 65 or higher. Its obvious....a perepheral smear can rule this out. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline eddarun

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 01:43:34 AM »
mel is right.   I heked my papers to get the exact counts.  My WBC was 11,1 (normal range 3,5-10) and lymphocytes 4,06 (normal range 1,3-3,5).  My dotor emailed me after the blood test and wrote "normal blood test results".  I wanted to see the exact counts so I went and had them printed out, and I freaked when I saw that the counts were "not normal".    I went to see my do again and asked why she had lied to me.  She laughed a little and said that they ARE normal even though they are a little higher than the reference range.  If you had CCL your count would be WAYYYY higher!  Even though the reference range is 3,5-10 or in your case 4-11, its "more" normal for people to be in the higher end, most healthy people have counts in the 8-11 range.  Its not "best" to be right in the middle:)
Bookmark and Share
“I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.”  - Mark Twain

Offline mel4962

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 08:16:58 AM »
Exactly.....when that wbc plumets down to 4.5.6. Your body is more at risk for infections.  Did you know thst people with lower wbc are typically the ones who catch the flu each year?   Most NORMAL healthy individuals wbc absolutely do have the higher end of normal white blood cells usually in the 7 to 11 catagory.  This means your body is up and prepared to kill invading cells.  Your wbc is normal.I honestly have no idea why they are rechecking.  I would guess a hematologist would laugh and send you back out the door.   This slight elevation is a normal daily variation of normal.   
Bookmark and Share

Offline mommyHA

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 01:33:33 PM »
Thank you so much for your replies! I have been so down lately and haven't been able to sleep. My bf's aunt took me to her friend who works in a lab to do more tests. It was a favor, so I can't show the results to my doctor because she might get in trouble. She tested for tumor markers and all we negative. But there was no test for leukemia as they don't have that machine. My very big problem was with the CBC. she did an automated count, and everything was almost the same as last Saturday. WBC back to normal, lymhocyte went down a bit but still above normal. Then I noticed my neutrophils are going up since the last 2 readings, but still within normal range-- just a little close to the upper limit.

This is what bothers me! She had another report from the machine and she said it was the manual differential. For the neutrophils, they wee classified as segmented, band, IG, BLST.

I FREAKED OUT! I Googled IG and they said it's immature granulocytes. And then BLST are blasts. And they said that both of these were not supposed to be circulating in the blood and indicated leukemia! My values were small though: IG was .035 and is .336% of my WBC. Blast was .008 and is .078% of my WBC.

Im worried because it say.s everywhere in Google that they're supposed to be 0%, so it's making me wonder that maybe im at the early stage of leukemia and it will go higher in time! I cant tell my dctor about it and ask him because the other person will get in trouble. Im so lost! Any thoughts?

Bookmark and Share

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 81
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 02:41:21 PM »
mommyHA, I REALLY think you need to stop getting your blood tested.

I'm curious to know if your doctor ordered a retest because they were concerned about what was happening or because you're concerned. Many times even doctors think that repeated testing will ease the mind of a health-anxious person, but it never does. In your own case—have ANY of the WBC tests you've gotten made you feel better about your health? No, you're only getting more and more anxious with each and every test. That's the nature of health anxiety—paradoxically, the very tests we crave for "reassurance" only serve to make us less reassured.

As scary as it might feel, the answer for you is to stop getting your blood tested and to curb your habit of online research. You said yourself in your first post:  "my doctor said it shouldn't be something bad. But I read somewhere that ... " Remember, your doctor has had YEARS of real life experience treating patients and diagnosing disease. The internet is simply ... the internet. You don't know where the information comes from; you don't know if its accurate; and you probably (no offense) don't know how to properly interpret the information since you're not a doctor. For you to even be throwing around terms like "immature granulocytes" should be a sure sign that you've gotten WAY too wrapped up in this.

Take a step back from this situation. Try, if you can, to look at it logically for even a moment or two.

I don't know if you've ever sought out professional anxiety treatment, but may I recommend that as a next step?
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline mommyHA

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 04:57:52 PM »
You make so much sense vardnas! It's sooo hard to get caught up in this neverending cycle! I'm spiraling down out of control, and everyone in my life is getting affected by it  :( how do you do it? How did you get over it? I tried therapy, but my therapist wasn't really a big help. She just listened and told me to try to do this and that. Just normal advice any friend wiuld give. I was like well i know i should do this and that, but i'm not letting myself-- that's the problem. Or sometimes i'm ok, but when somethng triggers my HA like a sudden pain, itch, spot on the skin, i just lose it and get trapped again at researching. It's soooo hard! I feel so helpless.
Bookmark and Share

Offline dancer67

• Rec's: 6
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 05:26:42 PM »
To put your mind at ease. I see a hematologist because I have iron deficiency anemia. I asked him about Leukemia one time because my WBC were always elevated(Between 10.1-13.9). He said that if I had leukemia, my WBC would be 30.0 and higher at least. The cause for my elevated WBC is because I am a smoker. And STRESS causes an elvated WBC.

Neutophils can be elevated by a sneeze. This is usually elevated because of allergies, but you can have a sniffle, or dust that bothers your eyes and it increases.

Put Leukemia out of your mind.
Bookmark and Share

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 81
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 06:38:22 PM »
You make so much sense vardnas! It's sooo hard to get caught up in this neverending cycle! I'm spiraling down out of control, and everyone in my life is getting affected by it  :( how do you do it? How did you get over it? I tried therapy, but my therapist wasn't really a big help. She just listened and told me to try to do this and that. Just normal advice any friend wiuld give. I was like well i know i should do this and that, but i'm not letting myself-- that's the problem. Or sometimes i'm ok, but when somethng triggers my HA like a sudden pain, itch, spot on the skin, i just lose it and get trapped again at researching. It's soooo hard! I feel so helpless.

I tried a lot of things to get over my anxiety. Xanax helped get me over the hump; and therapy was most helpful. If your first therapist didn't work out, try to find one who does. We are our best and only advocates in our quest for health, be it physical and mental. That means getting better  requires some effort on your part, and that includes the effort to find a therapist and a kind of therapy that works. Is anyone in your real life fully aware of your anxiety and just how much it's effecting you? Letting others into the process to help you is crucial as well.

I would also suggest you do some reading and research into how anxiety work and what it does to the body. That way, you'll know, for instance, that overreacting to physical stress stimuli (pains, itches, spots, etc) actually makes everything worse. There's a GREAT online resource for that right here on the AZ. Here is the link:  http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,58186.msg339343.html#msg339343

Follow the link in JER2911's post—it's a health anxiety module that explains very well, in depth, and in understandable English, what anxiety is, how it works, how it effects the body, and how to best interact with it.

Good luck to you!
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 28
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 02:41:22 AM »
Something that helped me was NOT LOOKING AT MY RESULTS.  I just ask my doctor if they're normal or abnormal.  If he says normal, I accept it and move on.  Saves a lot of fretting.
Bookmark and Share

Offline eddarun

• Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2013, 09:29:14 AM »
MommyHA.  Let me tell you something.  I have a bachelor degree in biomedical laboratory science and spent a lot of time at the blood analysis app.  We had a machine called Sysmex wich is the machine that counts the blood cells.  The machine does this automatically and when it has a problem with that it comes up with the message: "mandiff".  That means that the differencial count should be done manually, in a microscope.  The other "messages" often come at the same time.  I have spent a lot of time there and seen a LOT of CBCs, we were never in doubt when a lekemia CBC came up.  The counts were way off.  We had many many mandiff CBCs every day and the reason was in almost all the cases nothing serious, in fact the reason was typically due to the blood sample/sysmex and not because of some underlying disease.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Worriedwell?

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 08:58:12 AM »
You are worrying unnessesarily. Those ranges are normal. In cll the WBC is crazy high like sometimes 150k as opposed to your 11k. The WBC can also elevate in times of stress.  Cortisol can cause your body to release new
WBC
Bookmark and Share

Offline Daisy55

• Rec's: 9
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 07:04:45 PM »
Seems many factors can be taken into account with blood results.
The temperature of the vial contents.
How is was handled. 
The lab machines
What we just ate
Stress and anxiety.

I never thought much about all of that before. 
Bookmark and Share
You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. 
  John 8:32

Tags: