Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Why do I bleed/ does my skin tear so easily these days?  (Read 1600 times)

Online mollyfin

• Rec's: 28
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Why do I bleed/ does my skin tear so easily these days?
« on: July 11, 2013, 03:30:15 AM »
I just noticed a pretty big, bleeding scratch on my arm that I didn't notice getting - either I got it itching myself or from my girlfriend running her nails on my arm (probably the former since the latter I think she would've noticed).  I've noticed in general my skin tears easier than it used to (living with four cats you get a pretty regular check on how easy you scratch and bleed :P ) and I get tons of petechiae when I scratch, etc.  I just had a ton of blood work done and everything came back normal so I don't think I have clotting problems.  I just turned 30 so I think I'm a little young for it to just be normal aging.  It's not just that I seem to bleed more and more easily, though I do (last time I had blood drawn it just refused to stop bleeding) - my skin just seems to scratch easier and more deeply than it used to.  I first noticed this when my cat used my ass as a launchpad for a claws-out leap - you would've thought some wild animal mauled me!  Used to be I'd rarely scratch deep or bleed from that kind of stuff. 

I also have some very small, very shallow (didn't bleed or anything) rabbit-inflicted scratches on my hand that have refused to heal in the course of two weeks.  Naturally my brain is trying to tie this into my lymphoma fears, but I think those kinds of abnormalities would show up on tests if they were drastic enough to affect my clotting, etc.  So I don't know what to make of it.  All I know is I look like I'm getting beaten up daily and I'm going through band-aids like crazy...
Bookmark and Share

Online gouldbergvariations

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Why do I bleed/ does my skin tear so easily these days?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 04:50:59 AM »
Could be a lack of vitamin C. Vitamin c is directly destroyed in the process of converting pro collagen to collagen. Collagen is the principle macromolecular protein in animal bodies ( humans including). Scurvy was manifested by systemic and widespread bleeding, and opening of all wounds because of the lack of vitamin c needed for collagen synthesis. Just because you do not have scurvy does not mean you do not have a sub clinical form of scurvy, hypoascorbemia that is being physically manifested by slow wound healing. Either way, taking more vitamin c will not only optimize wound healing, but also scavenge free radicals from oxidation, strengthen and support arterial integrity.

Recommended dosage.. Really doesnt matter but the RDA is vastly lower than what it should be. Given the fact that 99% of all animal species produce their own via in c in either liver or kidneys via biosynthesis from ingested glucose. The average amount produced daily calculated to a 70kg human being is 10 grams daily. It's completely safe, and non toxic. With up to 250 grams being used daily intravenously in cancer treatment.

Give it a shot, if it does not address the wound healing problem, it's effects will greatly optimize a wide variety of bio processes .
Bookmark and Share

Online mollyfin

• Rec's: 28
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 06:21:08 PM »
Thanks!  Worth a shot.  I've had various vitamin levels tested recently but not that one I don't think.  It's also one of the supplements out there that doesn't mess with my stomach, so it can't hurt to try.
Bookmark and Share

Online gouldbergvariations

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 06:39:48 PM »
Even if that is not the direct cause . Taking adequate amounts of vitamin c a day is extremely beneficial  for daily body wear and tear. You don't have to go overboard, I take 20 grams daily , but 3-5 grams a day is good. Dosage is determined by titration to bowel tolerance limit, you take enough to give you diarrhea then drop it down a gram or so. Diarrhea is produced when excess vitamin c reaches the gut, when some is not a absorbed. This limit will increase under times of stress, or disease due t oxidative stress, where body antioxidant stores being used up. More vitamin c under these periods is definitely recommended. Whatever you choose , goodluck
Bookmark and Share

Offline oregoncoastlady

• Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 08:49:57 PM »
I think you are paying way too much attention to your body. I have many cats and wake up with scratches. They get a scab and eventually heal.  It's not that your skin is tearing easier. It's that you are looking for reason to think you have symptoms of a disease.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: