Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Rectal bleeding-when is it time to worry?  (Read 4666 times)

Offline kellysmum

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Rectal bleeding-when is it time to worry?
« on: January 16, 2008, 01:41:43 PM »
Let me start by saying that I had a colonoscopy last March that came out normal when I was experiencing rectal bleeding back then.  This week, it started up again, only the blood isn't bright red like it was before.  It looks more like menstrual blood (I'm not on my period right now)-a little darker red.  It has me worried, b/c I thought hemorrhoid blood was always bright red.  I am experiencing a lot of anxiety this week, and I've read that anxiety can cause hemorrhoids to act up.  Can someone please settle me down before I call my gastroenterologist for more tests? 

Thank you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxious_brit

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Re: Rectal bleeding-when is it time to worry?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 02:03:23 PM »
I have not had this, but my dad last year had the exact same thing happen. He also suffers from anxiety and over analysis everything. Anyways, he went for his appointment for his colonoscopy and at the pre-visit the doctor examined him and told him that the blood he was having was coming from a anal fissure. He was worried because he also suffers from hemorrhoids and the color wasn't the same as when he usually gets them.  The doctor said it was very uncommon for people who come in for this sort of GI symptom to turn out to be something more serious.

I hope that helps. I guess if it doesn't get better going to the doctor will help give you some peace of mind. I don't think it's anything serious though. Good Luck.
Bookmark and Share
"The best way to prepare for life is to begin to live"

www.FindingHappy.org

Offline missmellie

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Re: Rectal bleeding-when is it time to worry?
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 02:39:17 PM »
I have been dealing with this very thing.  I talked to my dr. about it last week and he told me to try and drink lots of water and if needed a stool softener to help heal what he thought was a fissure.  Well, I did what he said and this week I am fine.  No more bleeding, or pain at all.   I would try these things and then if it isn't better in a week or so, maybe call the dr.  I've also at times done hydrocortisone suppositories before and they can help as well.  I've been dealing with hemmoriods for years!  Thank you, childbirth!!   :laugh3:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: