Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: ANA Titer 1:160  (Read 995 times)

Offline EmmanuelGonzo

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
ANA Titer 1:160
« on: March 11, 2013, 11:06:37 PM »
I recently had some tests done by the neurologist.  He told me I was positive on an ANA screen, IFA.  The ANA pattern was homogenous.  And the ANA Titer was 1:160.  I'm scared as hell that I may have an auto immune disorder such as Lupus..  The doctor didn't seem to care about me at all and was trying to shoe me out of his office. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline oregoncoastlady

• Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: ANA Titer 1:160
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 12:01:49 AM »
I have no idea what any of this means. Perhaps you can explain it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sassparella

• Queen of Health Anxiety
  • Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 01:41:52 AM »
Is the doctor doing any more tests? What did he actually say? If you're worried you should go to your GP and get them to go through the results with you and explain what it all means so you have a better idea of what is going on. It sounds like the neurologist didn't have a lot of time for you, but it also sounds like he wasn't overly worried.
Bookmark and Share

Offline toworryornottoworry

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 01:50:04 AM »
"The homogeneous, or smooth pattern is found in a variety of connective tissue diseases, as well as in people taking particular drugs, such as certain antiarrhythmics, anticonvulsants or antihypertensives.
This homogenous pattern is also the one most commonly seen in healthy individuals who have positive ANA tests."

ANA is found in up to 20 percent of the healthy population, usually a titre of 1:80 is considered positive or somewhat significant. You had the homogeneous pattern that is more specific for lupus than other autoimmune's however as noted above it is the most common pattern seen in the healthy population. Why did your doctor shoe you out of his office? Did he give any further orders on how to move forward? If I were you, I would not panic, I spent months of my life in fear when a Celiac specific blood test came back positive only to find out it was elevated during infection and upon endoscopy and biopsy results my intestines were perfectly healthy. ANA is notorious for being elevated during infection and illness, have you had any recently? I would wait for a repeat test in 2-3 months time before putting any thought into the possibility of active disease.
Bookmark and Share

Offline EmmanuelGonzo

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 04:04:48 PM »
well this was done 2 weeks ago.  However today I do have some kind of ear infection...
Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything