Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: intro and ? about zoloft and xanax  (Read 540 times)

Offline angoli

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
intro and ? about zoloft and xanax
« on: December 10, 2012, 09:21:01 AM »
Hi,
I started zoloft 5 days ago (50 mg) and xanax (.25 mg) for anxiety and depression.  Despite my overall lack of desire to take medications in general, I decided this is what I need to do because my anxiety and depression have started to effect me, my kids and my husband.  I'm tired of feeling this way and ready for this to be gone.  I've also started therapy about a month ago. 
for the first 2 days on the zoloft I took the 50 mg.  I was out of my mind with anxiety.  the following days I've only taken 25 mg.  struggling with nausea, fatigue, jaw clenching, gi problems and increased anxiety.  My doc prescribed the xanax 2x a day.  I have a terrible fear of becoming addicted to it but I'm so out of my mind with anxiety that today i'm going to take the xanax as prescribed.  took one about an hour ago and will take another one when I tak my zoloft early this evening. 
I know zoloft takes a while to kick in and when my se and anxiety are low I feel like i can stick it out, but when my se are high (usually 5-6 hours after I take it) I feel like I don't wanna take it anymore.  :(
I have a f/u with my pcp in 2 weeks to see how I'm doing.  should I continue to take only the 25 mg of zoloft not the rx'd 50 until my f/u with my doc?  I'm scared to go up any further :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 105
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: intro and ? about zoloft and xanax
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 06:49:53 PM »
for the first 2 days on the zoloft I took the 50 mg.  I was out of my mind with anxiety.  the following days I've only taken 25 mg.  struggling with nausea, fatigue, jaw clenching, gi problems and increased anxiety. 

snip

should I continue to take only the 25 mg of zoloft not the rx'd 50 until my f/u with my doc?  I'm scared to go up any further :(

IMHO, you should not have been started on 50mg if you have an anxiety disorder. A 25mg tablet with the option to split it in half would have been kinder. However, there are sometimes reasons why doctors want to get patients up to a therapeutic dose asap, so I suggest you check with yours to get the okay. Also ask if you can only increase by a quarter of the 50mg (pill cutters are more accurate). As your body will likely stabilize at your current dose within the next few days try and stick with it rather than cutting back. You should be able to up the dose by another quarter tablet every 10-14 days until you get to 50mg. You may need to go even higher as 50mg is a the low end of the dose usually needed to achieve a therapeutic effect - range 50-200mg.

My doc prescribed the xanax 2x a day.  I have a terrible fear of becoming addicted to it but I'm so out of my mind with anxiety that today i'm going to take the xanax as prescribed.

You won't become addicted, but if you take it daily for more than about 4 weeks you will likely to become dependent on it and have to taper off. This is also true of antidepressants.

OTOH, if you take aspirin daily for some time you could become addicted to the point of continuing to take it even if doing so risked repeated surgery and eventually death as the subjects in this study did. Note: I'm not suggesting that anyone should avoid aspirin, it is a very useful drug, but it is something to keep in mind.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: