Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Keep jerking self awake...Sporadic fatal insomnia...having a panic attack  (Read 11164 times)

Offline thatsme36

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
I can't sleep.  Every few seconds either my whole body or a part of my body jerks itself and wakes me up.  I am exhausted but cant sleep.  I am going into complete panic I have sporadic fatal insomnia.  I have all the signs, can't sleep, myclonus (jerking myself awake), and am very irratable and now started sweating.  I am 41 and in the age bracket to have it.  I can't even seem to take care of my kids now and am going nuts.  It would be a horrible way to die and I can't stop crying.  Why does my body keep jerking itself awake every two seconds for hours?  Sometimes my whole body shudders.  I am on zoloft and thought maybe it was a side effect but now am getting all the signs....someone please talk to me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jumpywomble

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Keep jerking self awake...Sporadic fatal insomnia...having a panic attack
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 11:43:16 AM »
First of all, I really do not think you have this condition, it is really exceedingly rare and you sound like you are just very worked up about it! When i am really stressed about my health, i cannot sleep a wink either, the adrenaline is pumping and when I try to fall asleep, I am jerked awake...highly unpleasant. Please consult your doctor and explain this to them and get them to prescribe you some anti anxiety meds...maybe some relaxation and meditation techniques before bedtime may help? Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiousmom77

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 11:59:17 AM »
I have never heard of sporadic fatal insomnia... until now.   :(

I wanted to tell you that I am going through the same thing, jerking myself awake, but in addition to all over twitching in the day.  Have you had a CBC yet, to look at things like your B12?  I had results on the low end of normal and will be going in today for my first B12 injection.  I will let you know if I have any luck, but just wanted to let you know that my doctor doesn't seem overly concerned about it, though I am utterly at my lowest HA point ever, and I have had some rough patches in my life.  I am having a difficult time caring for my 2 year old all day and am more exhausted than I can ever remember being.  Something about my body doing things that seem so out of my control is terrifying to me, but not to my doctor.

So, just wanted to lend an ear and at least respond to let you know that you are not alone with the jerking out of sleep thing.

Best of luck,
S
Bookmark and Share

Offline thatsme36

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 12:09:54 PM »
Thank you......but does your body either twitch or whole body jerk again and again to wake you guys up?  If I know it happens to other anxiety sufferers over and over like what I have I would feel better.  I am on some anti anxiety but because of breastfeeding they are really light.  It is extremely rare...put it on me to find the rarest and most  horrible thing out there for me to have!  I am at a HA lowpoint as well, it has been switching from one thing to another over and over.  Last night it jerked and twitched itself awake for hours!  I feel like I am all alone, that no one else has EXACTLY what I am having if that makes sense...and then my brain says "well thats not EXACTLY like what you have so its different,"  I know crazy right?  I also twitch all day long by the way, all over.  I have not had a CBC as any tests or bloodwork make my HA worse.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jumpywomble

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 12:18:14 PM »
When I am insomniac all night, i sometimes get palpitations and muscle twitches all over my body. You are not alone.   :bigsmile:
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 12:24:44 PM »
what you are describing is called a hypnic jerk.  it is VERY common.

A hypnic or hypnagogic jerk is an involuntary muscle twitch (more generally known as myoclonus or a myoclonic twitch) which often occurs during the transition from wakefulness to sleep (see hypnagogia). It is often described as an electric shock or falling sensation, and can cause movement of the body in bed. Hypnic jerks are completely normal, and are experienced by most people, especially when over-tired or sleeping uncomfortably

my husband does this EVERY night as he is falling asleep. 

I even do it sometimes.  Yes, it can jerk me awake.  sometimes it is the whole body or just a leg or just an arm.

it is common when one is over tired or sleep deprived.  It often happens with those who are anxious or stressed.

absent musclewasting and other severe muscle issues, twitching is INDICATIVE of anxiety, not a neuro nasty.   This a common occurence and bloodwork, imo, isn't necessary for hypnic jerks.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline jwall378

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 12:29:10 PM »
If my anxiety is in "high gear" I too twitch and jerk when falling asleep. The Zoloft can also be doing this. Many antidepressant meds have this effect when first started. Try gradually calming down before bed. Lower all the lights in your house, maybe put some meditative or calming music on. I find this works for me.
Bookmark and Share
The more we think about things, the worse they get.

"Don't worry, about a thing. 'Cause every little thing's gonna be alright"-Bob Marley

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 12:30:24 PM »
here is another article that discusses this in more depth.  bottom line: it ain't no big deal.......... certainly not that sporadic fatal insomnia thing

A sleeping disorder that some people experience periodically throughout their life, but may not know much about, is something doctors call Hypnic Jerk or Hypnagogic Jerk. It's where a person drifts off to sleep and their body jerks or spasms. Sometimes these hypnic jerks cause them to bolt upright in bed. The cause of these jerks is what is referred to as a Myoclonic Twitch and it's comparable to a hiccup. Hypnic jerking is considered to be a mild sleep disorder for which there is currently no cure. Only about 10% of people 'suffer' from this sleep disorder and about another 60-70% of adults will experience at least one episode at some point in their life.

This type of sleep disorder is commonly believed to be related to sleep deprivation, stress or anxiety. Although many doctors have studied hypnic jerking, no one knows with any certainty the cause of it.

One accepted theory, however, is that it's just part of the process of falling asleep. Your body goes through many stages and cycles while falling asleep and during sleep. Brain waves change, your heartbeat slows down, your body's core temperature drops, your muscular system and nervous system go into 'sleep' mode, tissues repair themselves, and chemicals are released in your brain.

There is a sudden feeling of danger when hypnic jerking occurs though, and some theories suggest that it could be triggered by our muscles relaxing. This our subconscious interprets as a message that we're falling or drowning. The jerk is your body's attempt to 'catch' you or maybe just wake you up. Many people who suffer from hypnic jerks claim to experience a feeling of someone or something catching them right before they jerk.

These hypnic jerks can happen once or twice a night to sufferers - and they may not even realize it's happening. It's only when their partners witness it and tell them that they actually become aware of the problem. Some cases, however, have been reported where the jerks were much more severe. In these cases, the spasms come in 30 second intervals which negatively affects the sleeper and their partners life. This more serious condition is known as Periodic Limb Movement.

The is no cure for hypnic jerks. Your doctor will tell you to get more rest and exercise, and to eat healthy - the normal routine doctor advice. If you suffer from these spasms, try to avoid foods and stimulants such as caffeine or watching TV before bedtime. Of course, if your experience with hypnic jerks is serious, you should talk to your doctor.

Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline thatsme36

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 12:52:39 PM »
Thank you so much!  Of course my brain found the problem in the article....I jerk over and over.....up to 40 times!  I looked up periodic limb disorder and that is while they are sleeping and dont know...I know it...so its not hypnic jerks or periodic limb disorder...what is it?  I am so scared of sporadic insomnia its making me not sleep?
Bookmark and Share

Offline LindaRK

• Rec's: 35
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 12:54:07 PM »
I've had this happen to me, too ... myoclonic jerks.  I highly doubt you have some fatal disease.

Sounds to me like your body is exhausted and not able to recover and it's just making the symptoms worse.  I'd check with your doc for a sleep aid or try something natural like melatonin, Valerian or even Benadryl (all non-addicting and over the counter).  I've used all 3 with great success, although melatonin regulates sleep moreso than putting you to sleep.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 12:56:04 PM »
so what that you jerk over and over.  you are an anxietal mess.  How do you expect your muscles/nerves to react when they are whacked?  :winking0008:   At most you could argue is that you have the limb movement disorder.  Which is simply a more severe form of hypnic jerk.  That is just treated with medication to keep the movement more under wraps.

YOU DON'T HAVE THAT INSOMNIA THING.  That is OUT THERE believing that. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline thatsme36

• Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 01:05:05 PM »
I agree....it is OUT THERE!  I don't understand why I choose things that are so out there?  I appreciate all your answers....I can not thank you enough for taking the time to answer me.  You have all calmed me down...a big THANK YOU!!!!!  So now if I could get my mind to stop obsessing about this very RARE disease!!!!  So last night on top of no sleep and the jerking...I sweated a lot once I did get to sleep....I know zoloft can cause excess sweating  but it is also a symptom so another thing.   Plus I looked back over my posts and realized all the things I was SURE I had...and never had a one!
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 01:08:58 PM »
right

remember

above

all

things

anxiety LIES
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiousmom77

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 01:18:36 PM »
A final note, I took Zoloft for all of 3 weeks because I couldn't tolerate it!  The night sweating was a big issue for me, both when I started taking it and then again for a week when I quit taking it. 

And yes, I jerk myself awake multiple times per night.  ::)  I also noticed that you said you are nursing... and so am I, after 2 entire years!  My doctor mentioned that nursing, and prolonged nursing in my case, can contribute to dwindled B12 levels.  Just had to throw out the B12 issue again, because not only can it cause neurological symptoms (like muscle pain and twitching) but it can also exacerbate panic and anxiety, apparently.  Not to say this is at the heart of our issues, but I am trying to tackle one thing at a time, trying to figure it all out! 

S
Bookmark and Share

Tags: