Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: HOW LONG BEFORE LEXAPRO WORKS?  (Read 6316 times)

Offline Paty8804

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
HOW LONG BEFORE LEXAPRO WORKS?
« on: October 30, 2012, 09:33:47 AM »
I just started lexapro a week ago (10mg) and even though I feel better as far of not feeling depressed, I am finsding myself still obsessing over my health., I used Lexapro before for my Post Partum Depression and it worked wonders, butI never really gave it a chance for my anxiety and I stopped it..this is the first time that I officially take medication for my Anxiety Disorder... any experiences?

Thanks,
Bookmark and Share
"My life has been full of missfortunes, most of which have never happened"

Offline hypomom

• Rec's: 6
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: HOW LONG BEFORE LEXAPRO WORKS?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 09:47:42 AM »
All meds like that can take 2-4 weeks to fully get into your system and for you to feel the results. Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 10:29:45 AM »
Typically it takes 4-6 weeks for anti-d to reach full benefit.  In the case of Lexapro, the usual therapuetic dose is 10-20mg.  I had an interesting convo with my bro in law who is a psychiatrist a week ago about anti-ds.  We were discussing prozac specifically.  We did mention zoloft as well.  Another thing psy look at as well is 1/2 life of a particular med.  THis will also influence how long it takes for anti-d to reach full benefit.  Prozac has a LONG half life.  He told me that one needs to be on prozac at a certain level for 12wks before any judgments can be made on efficacy.  He also added that anxiety disorders typically need to be at higher dosages, at least with prozac, to be of good benefit.    The highest dosage of lexapro is 40mg and the half/life is 27-32hrs..

Also be aware that meds are just but ONE tool in the toolbox.  THey can certainly help but meds are not a cure. 

I wish you the best of luck  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline EclecticJoe

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 10:42:28 AM »
My experience

Lexapro works fast for depression (2-4 weeks), not as fast for anxiety (6-10 weeks) and even slower for OCD (12 + weeks). I am on 10 mg after stupidly stopping the drug last spring. I have been on Celexa/Lexapro for the better part of the last eleven years. I am thinking about going up to 15 mg then 20 mg and weaning off Xanax I take PRN. My goal for doing all of that is by Christmas.

I would consider (maybe I'm in the minority) health anxiety to be more of an obsessive behavior than true anxiety sufferers but that obsessive behavior definitely causes anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 10:45:45 AM »
want to add---as I looked up lexapro on another website:

it stated that half-life is 27-32hrs.  Which is fairly typical of ssris based on convos with my bro in law.   the website said that dosage can be increased to 20mg at one week.  Positive results should be seen by 8wks. 
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline EclecticJoe

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 11:30:56 AM »
want to add---as I looked up lexapro on another website:

it stated that half-life is 27-32hrs.  Which is fairly typical of ssris based on convos with my bro in law.   the website said that dosage can be increased to 20mg at one week.  Positive results should be seen by 8wks.

That's pretty cool having a psychiatrist in the family!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Paty8804

• Rec's: 0
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 11:43:41 AM »
Thanks for the responses...

I know right! I wish I can have a Psychiatrist or theraist in the family! is so hard when no one in your family understands!!
Bookmark and Share
"My life has been full of missfortunes, most of which have never happened"

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 12:50:26 PM »
LOL

I have two in the fam--------one is a psychologist and then the psychiatrist.

I was actually talking to the psy.md one on behalf of my daughter's neurologist.  She takes prozac.  I still need to call the neuro back with the info he provided.

IDK---I don't really see the bros in law as anything other than bros in law, for the most part.  although.......  there are sometimes some interesting dinner convos.   :laugh3:
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 02:38:26 PM »
AND, sigh, I need to correct an error...

my bro in law says that meds need to reach a "steady state".  In as much as prozac's halflife is nearly a week then multiply it by 4... so it takes prozac about 4wks to reach "steady state"  THEN you wait 12wks to see if the med is helping. 

with lexapro---being that its half life is average 30 hrs ish multiply it by 4 and so you have about 120hrs before the med reaches "steady state"..... 

this is probably why most ssris need a good 4-6wks to work

hope that clears up and not muddies more.  LOL
Bookmark and Share

Offline EclecticJoe

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 02:47:40 PM »
I'm on week five at 10 mg and I would say my depression is about 75% improved and my anxiety 30-50% depending on the day. I am also taking Lamictal.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 03:29:23 PM »
I'm on week five at 10 mg and I would say my depression is about 75% improved and my anxiety 30-50% depending on the day. I am also taking Lamictal.

I'm glad you are doing better.   :yes:

I know one of my kids was in a bad way last year.  We tried two meds--one lex and the other zoloft--in conjunction with therapy.   Meds were a bust and probably made things worse in a few ways.  He has a wonderful psychologist that he trusts.  My child is off meds since July.  They weren't helping anyway.   Since going off of meds but continuing therapy, my child seems to be doing much better.   :yes:   
Bookmark and Share

Tags: