Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Weird Burning Pain in Upper Back and Sides Over my Ribs- Im Tempted to Google  (Read 14760 times)

Offline ImObsessed

• "We're all here distracting ourselves until we die." -( J.J. Abrams)
  • Rec's: 2
  • Im an egomaniac with low self esteem
    • Poke This Member
For a couple of months now I have this weird superficial burning pain on my left side in my upper back, towards my side right over my ribs. Its very strange, it doesnt hurt to touch or press, only with certain twists or movements.  Its feels like a stitch, or a burning pain. I can't really reach the area, but It really feels superficial like near the skin. It almost feels like a pimple. I dont think its in the lung (like pleurosy or a tumor) because it just doesnt feel deep. It doeasnt hurt to breath or cough. Only with certain twisting movements or if I sleep on it. I thought I was getting shingles but theres no rash.  Its a burning pain. Now I think I may be getting it on the other side.

What does this sound like to you?

Im resisting going to the doc for another test (X Ray, MRI etc)

Of course my fear is lung cancer or bone cancer!
Bookmark and Share
Im obsessed with my health and my current obsession is my liver.

Offline spitfireatme

• Rec's: 12
    • Poke This Member
No clue. I'm a super health nut and would just recommend you read up on it and generally keep stretching and eating super healthy and staying active!
Bookmark and Share
PaulHakel.info
loveGodwithallyourheart.com

Offline floridaguy65

• Rec's: 174
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
No clue. I'm a super health nut and would just recommend you read up on it and generally keep stretching and eating super healthy and staying active!

Yes, I agree with the above, but only if you're reading up on ways to be as fit as possible and ways to alleviate anxiety as opposed to googling your health concerns.

How is your overall fitness, flexibility, muscle tone, posture? Exercise? These things are tremendously important in how HA peeps might feel on a daily basis. HA peeps believe their bods are failing them, someway - somehow. So we must take care of our bods as best as possible...there just isn't any rational debate about this.

Why would you google again? You have already opened Pandoras box. You already know everything - good and bad - about your health concerns. All googling does is cement in our heads that there is a possiblity of their being somethign sinister. And, this possiblity is more than enough to keep us locked up in fear cycles. We keep pushing the repeat button. Why? We know the outcome. This next time (the next session of panicked googling) will not provide lasting peace, eventhough our amped up minds might give us that compelling notion.

What might you do instead of google your health concerns?

Peace and Feel Well:)
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
It definitely doesn't sound like cancer.  But if it's making you uncomfortable, why not see a doctor?  Chances are they'll just recommend taking anti-inflammatories, but they could possibly prescribe a muscle relaxant if they think it might help.  Do topical things help, like Icy-Hot?  Do any painkillers help?
Bookmark and Share

Offline ImObsessed

• "We're all here distracting ourselves until we die." -( J.J. Abrams)
  • Rec's: 2
  • Im an egomaniac with low self esteem
    • Poke This Member
The pain is not something I need paid meds for. It only comes and goes and last for a second or two. If I twist a certan way or reach for something I feel a slight burning sensation over my ribs in one spot on my mid to upper back, left side. I remember hearing that left side back pain is a sign of pancreatic cancer so that worries me a little too, but this pain really feels superficial, not deep in an organ or bone. It's hard to describe, it's like a stitch. It's brought on by certain movements, the chiropractor thinks it may be muscle or nerve irritation in the intercostal ribs, he said the muscle between the ribs. At first I though it was the begining of shingles but I never got the rash. Pleurisy is something I worried about too, but no pain when breathing or coughing,
Bookmark and Share
Im obsessed with my health and my current obsession is my liver.

Offline NeverAgain1

• Rec's: 7
    • Poke This Member
The pain is not something I need paid meds for. It only comes and goes and last for a second or two. If I twist a certan way or reach for something I feel a slight burning sensation over my ribs in one spot on my mid to upper back, left side. I remember hearing that left side back pain is a sign of pancreatic cancer so that worries me a little too, but this pain really feels superficial, not deep in an organ or bone. It's hard to describe, it's like a stitch. It's brought on by certain movements, the chiropractor thinks it may be muscle or nerve irritation in the intercostal ribs, he said the muscle between the ribs. At first I though it was the begining of shingles but I never got the rash. Pleurisy is something I worried about too, but no pain when breathing or coughing,

I know we've been over this subject before -- a couple of months ago.  Here, let me save you the trouble of looking into Dr. Google.  You will get thousands of posts with people with left and right sided pain.  They will get thousands of tests (sometimes to a person) and they will find nothing conclusive.  I happen to know this, because I visited every website about side pain.

It is anxiety.  Your body is folding into a "fight or flight" reflex.  Read about this in "Somatics", by Thomas Hanna. 

The thing to do is not obsess about it.  Here  is why. You worry because this is where many organs are located.  Also, because some people equate it to a herniated disc problem, which is almost certainly not the cause.  If you fret and worry and obsess about it you will end up twisting your torso into the most painful wreck of a thing you can imagine.  Then, when you go looking for help, everybody will shrug their shoulders.

Look up some of my old posts.  My pain was right-sided, but it makes no difference.  The only two things that can rid you of this and the other things you obsess about is to understand what anxiety does to every body's muscles and nerves, and to learn how to skillfully relax or meditate.

No offense on chiropractors, and yours is probably right about the physical cause of the pain but probably does not know -- or would admit-- to the cause of the problem, emotions in the unconscious..  The one chiro I went to about the problem said that I would never be 100% again, and to live with the pain.   I only went to a chiro because a friend said to go. I didn't know he was a chrio.  Personally, I think most of them contribute to ongoing pain and anxiety.  Most will cause your wallet pain.  :laugh3:
Bookmark and Share

Offline floridaguy65

• Rec's: 174
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
  The only two things that can rid you of this and the other things you obsess about is to understand what anxiety does to every body's muscles and nerves, and to learn how to skillfully relax or meditate.

Agree...agree...agree....and I would add exercise. There are several ways to relax, as well.....meditation and / or visualizations (often combined in forms) can be tremendously effective, after learning and practicing. But, the effects of these things can be felt pretty readily, too. Don't think that it is a year long process of "enlightenment", in all cases. There is science and body and brain chemistry behind lots of these relaxation techniques....I assure you it is not all ethereal "mumbo jumbo stuff", beyond our grasp:)

And, of course, exercise. Fairly (or more than fairly) rigorous exercise. It is through taxing our bodies that we can, eventually, help our tired, amped up minds begin to accept (slowly at first...but it expands in influence) that we do NOT have something sinister lurking around in our bods, just meandering around, waiting for the most opportune time to ruin our lives. The endorphins from quality exercise are wonderful...this is something to get addicted to - the exercise buzz.....not the buzz (the fleeting buzz) we get from getting another medical reassurance that we are OK, overall:)

Peace and Feel Well:)
Bookmark and Share