Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Hit my head really hard and now I'm worried!!!  (Read 22826 times)

Offline crazilyanxious

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hit my head really hard and now I'm worried!!!
« on: September 21, 2012, 03:27:48 PM »
I hit my head really hard about a half hour ago when I was getting my daughter out of the car.  It was on the right side of my head towards the top.  It is still quite sore, and I'm worried how hard do you have to hit your head before damage can be caused?  Of course I'm worried about some sort of internal bleeding or something.  I feel a little off since it happened, but I don't know if that should worry me, or it's just my anxiety causing these feelings.  My one year old daughter falls and bumps her head A LOT and nothing ever serious happens, so I'm sure I'm overreacting, but I'm still worried.

Reassurance would probably help right now.  I'm going to be ok, right?
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: Hit my head really hard and now I'm worried!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 03:57:13 PM »
you'll be fine.

do you know how many peeps bang their heads daily and just rub it and go about their days?  thousands.

btw--- a few years back, my eldest had a seizure on the stairs (we knew one day it would happen  :dazed:).  she hit the molding on the stairs and had blood everywhere.  She needed 7 staples to close the wound.  NO brain injury at all...............

6yrs ago my then 3 yr old daughter flipped backwards off of a riding toy in our driveway (when we were moving in as a matter of fact).  She had a MONSTER of a lump on the back of her head.  Here we are 6yrs later....

remember people get minor bangs (like you) every day and do just fine.  People get more serious bangs and STILL do just fine.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline crazilyanxious

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 04:20:48 PM »
Thanks sixpack.  I know I've hit my head numerous times before, but now that I have problems with anxiety I fear the worst.  I always hear people saying you shouldn't mess around with head injuries, so of course I'm worried still.  I shouldn't be, I know.  But something could happen.  My little girl falls and bumps her head A LOT and she's perfectly fine, but even that doesn't calm me down.  I'm sitting here and my only problem is that the spot where I hit my head is a slight bit sore, but I've read that head injury symptoms can present themselves up to a couple days after the incident.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 04:45:47 PM »
you DO realize that when you bang your head it is normal for it to be sore?  That is what happens--we bang something and it hurts.

yes one shouldn't mess with head injuries----------just like when my daughter fell down the stairs. There was no--um wonder how hard she has to hit her head before she needs to see a doc or if she received brain trauma.  Even with all that blood and needing 7 staples, she didn't end up with brain trauma.   AND this was obvious she needed to have an ER visit.

You didn't have, based on your post, a head injury. You simply bonked our head on the car.
 I've banged my head twice this week. once, for sure, was on the refrigerator.   About a month ago I banged my forehead on something.  It had a small lump and was sore for a few days.

don't make this minor bang to your head into something it is NOT
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline crazilyanxious

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 06:57:16 PM »
So, hitting my head REALLY hard wouldn't classify as a head injury then?  I know I'm probably being really irrational and overreacting. 

But, since hitting my head, over the past few hours my head has started to feel kinda foggy and floating, and there seems to be a lot of pressure and tightness there.  I'm worried this is because I hit my head and something is wrong.  It probably is my anxiety that caused this thinking and symptoms, but what if it's not, and hitting my head really did something?
Bookmark and Share

Offline NaturalWorld

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 08:05:04 PM »
As long as you didn't pass out cold the instant it happened its not much to worry about. And if you didn't bleed its also nothing to worry about. But a few months back I hit my head and I felt off for a few days and I was really worried about a concussion. Then a few weeks later I was bench pressing and strained my muscles and had a bad headache from it. A few days later I had worked myself up enough to go the the ER. They did a CT scan and I was fine in the brain. So our brains are pretty strong, they are protected by our skull. My only advice is that if you feel tired do not go to sleep right away. Wait a few hours. It will lessen the chance of recurring headaches. Good Luck!  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 08:21:10 PM »
IMO  if you hit your head THAT hard---hard enough to cause brain injury, you wouldn't be posting on a website.  you would have felt awful/dizzy etc from the getgo.  you may even have passed out.  you wouldn't be wondering if you needed a doctor.  as NW said, our skulls protect our brains.  they are not that easily injured.

my guess is that you have talked yourself into feeling off, because, well, that is what we do around here  :winking0008:

my teen neighbor had a concussion from a wrestling match............. he had severe headaches and was vomiting and vomiting.  even then he wasn't hospitalized.  docs checked him over and sent him home.

obviously--you can run yourself to the ER.....  I think it would be a bit reactionary to do so, though. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline crazilyanxious

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 05:24:47 AM »
Since hitting my head three days ago I've developed nausea that comes and goes, as well as some lightheadedness that I had a brief episode of and hasn't come back since.  But the nausea keeps reappearing.  I'm really worried about this because I hit my head so hard and less than 24 hours later I started getting nausea.  I haven't had any serious headaches, or really any headaches whatsoever.  I wonder if it's just the anxiety causing this, or something I should have checked out.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 06:23:56 AM »
do what you want with this.  I have my opinion on this but No one here can make this decision for you.

Bookmark and Share

Tags: