Chat Now!   Member Gallery   Anxiety Zone Wire   Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Swelling on gum above tooth  (Read 11324 times)

Offline kmm110

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Swelling on gum above tooth
« on: August 03, 2012, 08:45:55 AM »
I have been so good with HA for awhile but I have been so worried since yesterday. I noticed a swelling/lump on my gum over one of my top teeth. Of course I would think an abscess but there is NO pain, so I don't see how it could be an infection. It is in between one of the teeth I had a second root canal on last year, so I'm not sure it could have to do with that? It's not directly over that tooth though. I'm worried about oral cancer or something else that is serious.  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hohum

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Swelling on gum above tooth
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 12:57:12 PM »
I have had a tooth infection before which wasn't painful. Try not to self-diagnose or your HA will drive you insane.

If there's a swelling near a tooth where you have had root canals though, now is definitely the time to book a dental appointment before it gets any worse. You definitely don't want to be dealing with a full-blown tooth abscess if that's what it is. Go make the appointment...go now! :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline LindaRK

• Rec's: 35
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 02:40:52 PM »
I've gone through alot of dental issues and surgeries over the past few years.

I've had those "bumps" that sound like what you're talking about.  Maybe give it a week or 10 days to see if it goes away.  In the mean time, make an appointment with your dentist, just so you can get on their schedule.

Many times, those irritations, bumps, sores in our mouth are caused by food trauma. My favorite is "chip trauma" ..... caused by an unknown jab from eating Doritos chips. :-)
Bookmark and Share

Offline kmm110

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 08:45:32 AM »
I am really freaking out about my gums today. The lump has not changed in size but it's a little tender when I touch it. I am so afraid I have oral cancer or something. I really don't think it's an infection because if it was, wouldn't my lymph nodes be a little swollen in my neck? I have no swollen lymph nodes and when I have the slightest infection, they tend to swell and become tender.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• Rec's: 181
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 09:25:15 AM »
why is it oral cancer when other explanations are more plausible?  it could be a canker sore, inflammed gums from gingivitis, or as others said the beginnings of an infection

in my life, I've not ever had a lymph node swell to the point that I could see it.  Last year I had ear infectin, sinus infection, throat infection and bronchitis all at the same time--yes I was a lovely picture to be sure...  still no swollen nodes in my neck or jawline.  NOT every infection will cause a node to swell even if you tend to do that.

if you are that concerned about it, give your dentist a call.  I'm betting he/she could fit you in the schedule the same day or in just a day.  My dentist has a couple of emergency appointments available in the schedule everyday.  I've even used them a time or two.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state. 

Offline sixpack

• Rec's: 181
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 09:53:31 AM »
and have to laugh at myself now.

went upstairs to brush my teeth and pulled out a hard thing.  dang it, a piece of my porcelain crown came off.  Called the dentist whining about my crappy luck.  Only available is 1:40.  Of course two my kids have ortho appts at 2:15.  so now my appointment is tomorrow at 9:30....
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state. 

Tags: