Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Swollen Gland Under Jaw on Right side? Oh No Now This to Worry About  (Read 5695 times)

Offline ImObsessed

• "We're all here distracting ourselves until we die." -( J.J. Abrams)
  • Rec's: 2
  • Im an egomaniac with low self esteem
    • Poke This Member
Under my jaw on the right side, not towards the back buy more in the middle of the jaw bone it feels a little larger then the left side. Not noticeably a swelling like when you have an infection where a big marble pops out, is just a little bigger and firmer then the other side. I always noticed that right side was a little bigger then the left for most of my life. When I smoked cigars 10 years ago it would irritate that side, so I assumed its the saliva gland.

But the last couple days I have been getting very slight pinching pain there. So I'm feeling around and its feeling like it may be a little bigger then before. Its not tender though so I'm not sure why I'm getting the pinching pain. Is that the saliva gland? I don't know.

Also: when I turn my head to the far left, that area pops out a little more and then it really feels bigger.
Anyone every try that?
When I turn my head to the opposite direction the area under my left jaw doesn't feel as big.

what does this sound like?
Lymphoma?

To make matters worse, a friend of mine was having a sore throat that persistent for 2 months so he goes to the ENT and they scope him and find a growth. About a week ago they do a biopsy and it turns out to be cancer.
Now he is seeing a surgeon.
The surgeon said that if he can operate with the robot the surgery is simple and easy, but his jaw may be too narrow.
If they can't use the robot then they will have to crack his haw in half to remove the tumor and there is no telling if it has spread yet. I had lunch with him a few days ago and he told me all this.

Ugh!!!
Bookmark and Share
Im obsessed with my health and my current obsession is my liver.

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: Swollen Gland Under Jaw on Right side? Oh No Now This to Worry About
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 06:39:15 AM »
I am sure you have had many worries in the past. Over various things. And nearly all probably turned out to be nothing serious at all. The mind working over time. I am sure this is just something similar. But because of your mate and what he is going through you now have a new worry. If you are really concerned you can go and have it checked it out. For peace of mind. Here, we can tell you it is nothing. But would you accept that? I am doubting that very much. I would imagine you will continue to worry. Until you find something else to worry over.  If it is that bad visit your doctor. Or even your local chemist. The chemist can be just as good as the doctor. Find out for sure. Put your mind at ease. Even if we were medical experts, we couldn't tell you it was this or it was that based on your post. It would have to be examined to know for certain. But a logical guess would say it is the mind working over time.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline ImObsessed

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 08:27:04 PM »
Well that right side lymph node has always been a little bigger then the leftside. But likei said its the very slight pinchy pain that's concerning me.
I wish BOTH glands on both sides were swollen and hurt,that would lead me to believe an infection. But the fact that it's only one makes me worry it's cancer.
Anyone ever have only one gland swollen under the jaw?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Katieloves

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 11:42:17 AM »
This is incredible - I nearly teared up, to be honest.

I'm 19 1/2 years old, and I have had this issue for at least five years. Sometimes it is one side, sometimes it is both sides at once. It feels swollen, and it is whenever I am anxious, however I still always believe it is an infection, or cancer, or something of that nature. I feel it subsiding as I am typing this because it is like the confirmation I needed, telling me it is just in my head.

Stress and anxiety do the strangest things to our bodies, and make us feel so "strange," for lack of a better word. I know this, yet I am so obsessive, I have the most trouble believing I am not ill, and it is in fact just anxiety or an effect of stress.

I know it is just stress. And I know it's terrifying when it flares up, but it is just an effect of this awful illness.
Bookmark and Share

Offline alexthegreat98

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 02:50:51 PM »
I had this issue earlier this year. Swollen Salivay duct gland on my left. This started the worst three months of my life when I literally worried myself sick. Still fighting anxiety every day...new issues though.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ImObsessed

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 03:52:12 PM »
Im also wondering is this could be a muscle. It's kind of oblong shape like a muscle, not round like a grape which is what I believe a swollen lymph gland looks like.
Also, I have a jaw clenching and teeth grinding issue.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Harmony

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 05:20:26 PM »
That was the same lymph node I recently had removed.  They biopsied it and it came back clear, just reactive from an infection and stayed swollen.  I'm sure everything is fine with you, but if you're worried it's not going to hurt to get it looked at to give you some peace of mind.

I'm sorry about your friend.  I hope everything goes well with his surgery and he beats it!
Bookmark and Share
"Every evening I turn my worries over to God. He's going to be up all night anyway.
~Mary C. Crowley

Offline ImObsessed

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 10:09:34 PM »
Update: I went to a ENT in August who felt around and said he couldn't feel anything abnormal. He said he could send me for a CT scan but it would be almost criminal "his words". So I kind of put it out of my mind. The last few weeks I have been getting that twinge there again. My anxiety is also ramped up which seems to make it hurt more. Everything I read about cancer in the lymph nodes of the neck state a hard palpable and painless lump is usually the first symptom. I have neither, just a pinching pain. I wonder if its a pinched nerve or muscle or tendon? I used to get severe pain in the spot when I would yawn too vigorously and open my mouth too wide, it would hurt like hell for a moment then pass.

Part of me wants to go back to the ENT, but I know I will be getting a CT scan if I push the issue. I have had this pain about 10 months now.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: gland lymph neck