Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Red lump in armpit!!!  (Read 19633 times)

Offline mominpanic

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
Red lump in armpit!!!
« on: June 09, 2012, 07:21:48 PM »
I just went to take a shower and felt a lump in my armpit!!  It's about the size of a marble, maybe a little smaller, and it's very hard.  The thing is is it's red, so you can visibly see it.  I tried to take a close look at it, and it looks like maybe there's a small raised brown spot on it.  I am thinking maybe it's an ingrown hair follicle or a cyst, but it's deeper than just the surface, and it scares me that it's so big and hard.  It's a little sore to the touch, but not necessarily painful.  Any opinions?  It seemed to come out of nowhere?  Should I call the doctor or try heat compresses?  Since it's red, that's probably good, right?  I'm trying not to think that this is from metastatic breast cancer or something!!!!  HELP PLEASE!!!
Bookmark and Share
A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones - Proverbs 17:22

Offline JER2911

• Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
  • Rec's: 28
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
    • Poke This Member
Re: Red lump in armpit!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 08:21:26 PM »
It sounds like an clogged/infected sweat gland.  The warm compress would be a good place to start.  You could also put some antibiotic ointment on it as well.

Doesn't sound like a lymph node, as those usually don't show up as red bumps.  They are normally bumps under the skin/same color as your skin.

Don't poke at it or try to pop it..that will just make it worse.

If it doesn't get better in about a week with the antibiotic ointment and compresses, you may need to see your GP, or even a walk-in clinic, to have it drained..(this happened to my hubby)..

It doesn't sound like anything sinister..definitely not metastatic breast cancer.. :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share
Matthew 6:27  Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?

Offline DreamsDeciphered

• "If you expect nothing from anyone, you're never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 10:04:21 PM »
I'm seconding what JER said. A warm compress and some neosporin (this is an antibiotic cream) should take care of it. I get those sorts of things under my arm and under breasts rather often and it likely has to do with sweat in places that don't "breathe" well, and all I do is put a warm compress on it for a minute or so, dry it really thoroughly, put some neosporin on it, and then put a bandaid on it (this stops your arm from rubbing against it and irritating it). Mine usually go away overnight when I do this, but I'm sure it can take up to a few days if it's particularly bad.

Of course, if that doesn't it do it, it may need to be drained. I had to have this done on my breast, but if you nip it in the bud now, you probably won't have to have it done. :)
Bookmark and Share
"Tell all the Truth but tell it slant --
Success in Circuit lies
Too bright for our infirm Delight
The Truth's superb surprise

As Lightning to the Children eased
With explanation kind
The Truth must dazzle gradually
Or every man be blind --"
- Emily Dickinson

Online ImObsessed

• "We're all here distracting ourselves until we die." -( J.J. Abrams)
  • Rec's: 2
  • Im an egomaniac with low self esteem
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 10:20:49 PM »
I have the exact same thing! It's a follicle or similar. Warning: it takes a while to go away and sometimes leaves a scar. But you will notice after a couple of weeks it will start to get smaller. Mine was also red brown and the size of a marble. If you can actually pinch it between you fingers, it's not a gland. A gland would not move and be attached to the floor of the armpit. Mine started to bleed after a a couple weeks. Now it's gone, but it took about 6 weeks
Bookmark and Share
Im obsessed with my health and my current obsession is my liver.

Offline mominpanic

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
Thank you!  I think it may be a tiny bit smaller today and a little bit more sore, so that's got me thinking more towards something not cancer related, but then I started thinking about lymphoma, but I think that's just my HA taking over.  I'm going to do warm compresses again tonight.  I wish I had some Neosporin ointment, may need to go get some and see if that helps.  Thanks!
Bookmark and Share
A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones - Proverbs 17:22

Tags: