Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Panic attack last night... not feeling so good, looking for a kind word  (Read 724 times)

Offline anlee

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hi all,

I had a panic attack last night after going weeks without one.  I take cipralex to control them and it works pretty good, but I've found when do have one it's bad.  Over the last week I've been delving into some pretty scary stuff in therapy, but it's good.  I have to start picking at that knot causing my PTSD if I ever hope to get better.  So I had a good session yesterday (first one ever that I haven't cried in!) and was feeling okay about things.  Then as I was getting ready for bed, the panic attack hit.   I feel nauseous, light headed and dizzy.  I get like a weird electrical charge hit every nerve in my body and I even drool (gross, I know).  I feel like I'm going to die.

Now I have that panic attack hangover.  I slept terrible, all my limbs are heavy, I'm still bit sick to my stomach... I'm sort of spaced out.  I know this is all normal for me and it's not freaking me out or anything.  I guess I'm just disappointed I had a panic attack at all.  I hate, hate, hate the two days it takes for me to recover.  I can't go exercise like I normally do because of my broken ankle.  And I don't want to replay the events that lead up to it.  It's very difficult to discuss my abuse and I don't want to go there without my therapist to guide me through that mess.

So I guess all I really want is to vent (which I'm doing) and get some support from you all. 

Thanks
Anlee
Bookmark and Share

Offline camel

• Rec's: 83
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
    • Poke This Member
Hi Anlee

First off, sorry that you had a panic attack last night. I too had one yesterday after not having one for a long time. And they seem to be worse when a lot of time goes between them as you sort of forget how bad they feel. You had a big day at therapy so that could be what triggered this one later; that is ok.

I also have that panic hangover today. Just try and accept it for what it is, and know that as you progress with your therapy the time between attacks will increase until you no longer have them; so there is a lot to look forward to.

Some pointers for your next attack if you don't know of any of these already:

1- leave the room where you are panicking. If you are in bed, go to the lounge or somewhere else (if possible)
2- lie back and hold a pillow on the place you feel most of your anxiety (for me its my tummy and chest)
3- count backwards from 300, and make sure you really concentrate on each number. Your brain will try get you to think of anxiety and scary things, but just gently bring it back to focusing on counting. When you reach zero, you always feel better.
4- drink lots of water afterwards
5- congratulate yourself for getting through a scary but non harmful panic attack :)

Hope this helps in some way :-)
Bookmark and Share

Offline anlee

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Oh it does help, Camel.  I've never heard of those pointers before so I am definately going to try them next time I have one.  Thanks for replying to my cry for understanding... it really means a lot :)

Anlee

ps:  I'm sorry you had an attack yesterday, too.  They suck, don't they?  LOL
Bookmark and Share

Offline camel

• Rec's: 83
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
    • Poke This Member
Glad it helps. My therapist gave me those pointers.
She also has me go to bed by 10pm and asleep by 11, and awake at 7am and have breakfast straight away. This alone has helped me so much.
And I snack between meals leaving no more than 3 hours between eating so as to keep blood sugar levels even, this helps a lot too.
And I have to dance for an hour a day to fun, uplifting music (no depressive stuff) - this helps a lot

ps. yes they do suck LOL
Bookmark and Share

Tags: