Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Can Anxiety Really Make Me Feel SO Sick?  (Read 7830 times)

Offline 3xpresident

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Can Anxiety Really Make Me Feel SO Sick?
« on: April 27, 2012, 03:08:33 AM »
Hey Guys,
Can you please help me.

I am 29 year old male. EVERY day for 2 months, I've had bloating, tenderness and an inflamed feeling in my "belt line" area. Just below my gut. Also, I have that same feeling in my right, upper abdomen, where my liver is.

In addition to this, for 2 months, I keep feeling like I am getting fevers. I got so hot, but my temp is never above 98.9, yet my skin feels like it's on fire at times. Then I'll get really cold.

I went to the doctor, had 4 x-rays done, had bloodwork done 3 times and had a CT Scan. Everything was normal.

My doctor seems to think it's stress and anxiety. Can chronic panic and stress, really cause these symptoms? I know it can, but I would think I would have at least a few days here and there, where I felt decent. EVERY day for two months, I've felt fevery and had that bloating below my gut and in my liver area. It's awful. Please help, I am at wits end and need support :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline greend

• Rec's: 8
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Can Anxiety Really Make Me Feel SO Sick?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 08:34:16 AM »
I feel for you.  I know that anxiety can be a real pain (literally).  I know!!!  But, if your doctor said you are fine, try to have faith in him/her.  The big thing here right now is that you have to focus on that fact.  What are you doing for your anxiety?  Selfhelp books and getting involved in anything other than obsessing is a good idea.  Many years ago I had constant stomach pains that lasted for probably 5 or 6 months.  After testing my doctor told me that it was stress and you know what, it just kind of went away.  I've never had a problem since.

Maybe look at what you are eating as well.  Poor eating won't help stress one bit.

Remember, stress/anxiety can cause a lot of symptoms.  Have you looked at the 100 symptoms list.  You should, you'll be amazed.  Just type 100 top anxiety symptoms (or something like that) into google and you'll find it.

Hope you feel well soon!
Bookmark and Share

Offline hypomom

• Rec's: 6
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 06:14:38 PM »
Yes, sadly anxiety can do this and for prolonged periods of time.
When I was 19 I moved from TN to NC with my boyfriend who had just got out of boot camp. I was there about 5 months and SUPER lonely. I had no car, no job, my bf left for work at 5am and didn't get home until 6pm exhausted and ate and feel asleep. The only way for me to call home was to walk 4 miles to a store and use the pay phone out front. Well, one day I started feeling sick. It happened to be the day before my bf had to be deployed for 8 days for a training exercise. The next day I was so dizzy I couldn't stand up without the entire house spinning. I was nausated and disoriented. I laid on the couch for 2 days barely moving until my neighbor came by to check on me. When I tried to get up to get the door i got it open and passed out. She called an ambulance. Said I was ghost white. I thought for SURE i had a brain tumor or something. SEVERE muscle weakness, couldn't sit up without nausa and SEVERE dizziness, disoriented... couldn't speak well.. .speach was slurred. They did a CT and MRI on me and said it was anxiety and sent me home. I was freaked out as I couldn't even manage to walk to the car. I had to have wheelchair.
When my bf got back I had him make the trip to take me home to TN to see MY doctors. I had to lay in the backseat the whole trip. As soon as I got "home" I felt FINE!!! It WAS all anxiety and stress. Amazing what our bodies/minds can do.
Bookmark and Share

Offline 3xpresident

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 03:06:25 AM »
Thanks so much for the support guys! It means a lot.

I tried taking Lexapro, but the side effects were nasty, so I stopped after a few days. I started seeing a therapist and it's been helping. But it's so tough, it's kind of that "what came first, chicken or the egg". I feel like my symptoms cause my anxiety. But it's a vicious cycle. Everyday I get up, hoping I feel fine psychically, and of course that never happens to the anxiety just cycles.

The therapy is helping, but I still feel like crap physically. On a better note, I am starting to feel a touch more like myself, as I've been working 20% less, lol. One of the worst parts with anxiety is the bewildered feeling, where everything seems like a dream, or doesn't feel real.

I just wish this abdominal bloating/pressure would just go away.

Anxiety is sooooo miserable! Thanks for the support guys. Never hesitate to PM me if I can ever return the favor or offer you any support!
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 226
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 08:25:34 AM »
yes it can make you feel bad

SSRIS---if started on a higher dose can make initial side effects more difficult.  With we anxious, too, tend to worry side effects will be tough to deal with and so there is the self-fulfilling prophecy.  So try and not throw all SSRIs out with the bathwater. 
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline Artman9865

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 03:23:50 PM »
I was having the same problems for months I felt like I was going to to pass out a few times I started taking buspar and it works wonders now I only have anxiety once in a while it does not help with my OCD much though
Bookmark and Share

Tags: