Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Is this a normal walking heart rate?  (Read 38853 times)

Offline dantescritic

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Is this a normal walking heart rate?
« on: April 23, 2012, 04:41:24 PM »
 My heart rate gets up to 115-120 bpm just walking around.  Climbing the stairs it gets to 150 bpm. Does this sound normal? I exercise everyday and I was thinking it should be lower.. *sigh*.
Bookmark and Share
Panic Disorder, Hypertension, OCD

Alprazolam 0.5 2x daily
Lexapro 5mg daily

Still struggling

Offline The13thEcho

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Is this a normal walking heart rate?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 05:13:51 PM »
Are you out of breath when just walking or climbing one flight of stairs? It also depends on what type of exercising you do, lifting weights doesn't count as cardio. A good measure is what your resting heart rate is, it should be lower the more efficient your heart becomes.
Bookmark and Share

Offline dantescritic

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 05:24:13 PM »
 I do stationary bike.  But is that a normal walking heart rate "120"? I know my max heart rate is 220-my age 23 so 197.  When I workout on the exercise bike I can get it to 165 on high intensity and even higher if I wanted.  What im more concerned about is the walking heart rate.

I do feel a bit out of breath climbing 3 flights of stairs but not like gasping for air or anything.  It is 150 after 3 flights o f stairs

Resting is 75-90 it really varies quit significantly.  At the moment it is 76.
Bookmark and Share

Alprazolam 0.5 2x daily
Lexapro 5mg daily

Still struggling

Offline The13thEcho

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 05:39:51 PM »

I personally think your fine. I'm relatively conditioned so I'll try the treadmill if my recent knee injury isn't feeling that bad, and see what my heart rate is, I can comfortably run/jog for about 45 minutes. I never really check my heart rate because the machine chastises me for doing so while running but I know it's reached around 160 at max running speed although that was a few years ago, resting is 50-high 60's, although it did reach around 70 recently but I wasn't really rested. I'll try it tonight if it makes you feel any better.

Bookmark and Share

Offline dantescritic

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 05:42:33 PM »

I personally think your fine. I'm relatively conditioned so I'll try the treadmill if my recent knee injury isn't feeling that bad, and see what my heart rate is, I can comfortably run/jog for about 45 minutes. I never really check my heart rate because the machine chastises me for doing so while running but I know it's reached around 160 at max running speed although that was a few years ago, resting is 50-high 60's, although it did reach around 70 recently but I wasn't really rested. I'll try it tonight if it makes you feel any better.

You aren't reading my posts, ive told you two times what my resting heart rate is.

usually 80's, so it goes up to 120's walking. Normal or no?
Bookmark and Share

Alprazolam 0.5 2x daily
Lexapro 5mg daily

Still struggling

Offline dantescritic

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 06:17:29 PM »
Anyone?
Bookmark and Share

Alprazolam 0.5 2x daily
Lexapro 5mg daily

Still struggling

Offline dantescritic

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 07:15:56 PM »
 Please guys.. I am having a really tough time here and just need an answer..
Bookmark and Share

Alprazolam 0.5 2x daily
Lexapro 5mg daily

Still struggling

Offline Leapple

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 11:26:28 PM »
I think you need to see your Dr or cardiologist to tell you what is normal or okay! We are not cardiologists .. However, my HR is all over the place BUT I have pots and anxiety! But my HR walking around is usually between 80 and 120.
Bookmark and Share

Offline 1looneychick

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 01:09:45 AM »
I don't know the answer to this question and my hr drives me nuts too :dazed:  I do know that if you search this site for "normal heart rate"  you will probably find the answer or at least something that will make you feel better.  Thats what I do when something is really bothering me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline The13thEcho

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 01:42:04 AM »

You aren't reading my posts, ive told you two times what my resting heart rate is.

usually 80's, so it goes up to 120's walking. Normal or no?

Sorry, I edited my post after I read yours again. Just back, resting HR at this exact moment is 73. Anyways.....

I was walking for about 5 minutes just to check it out, it sad my heart rate was around 120. I checked myself, counted for 15s x 4, it was 96. I started jogging [9min/mile pace], 30 minutes into it the HR monitor reached 180, I let go of the metal sensors, it reached 210 without my hands on it. I had trouble checking my heart rate manually while jogging/running.

Ask your PCP to refer you to a cardiologist if it makes you feel better, s/he'll probably do what mine did, as me why I was there since everything's normal, but hey maybe not. Best of luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 08:28:47 AM »
MY friend is an internist/cardiologist and he said that heart rates vary. He said to make sure
your thyroid and blood work are OK and that you stay away from caffeine products, get plenty
of rest, keep stress to a minimum and exercise moderately. He said that it is perfectly normal for
your heart rate to be higher when walking up stairs, as that is difficult.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline rosslyn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 03:49:05 PM »
I think you sound absolutely fine. My doctor once told me that her RHR is 90 and it goes up to 130 easily when moving around. Just how it is. My RHR used to be around 90-110 when I was going through particularly bad period of anxiety, now it's more 70-80. And it easily goes up to 110-130 when moving around. When I stand, it's 100-120. I've been told it's all normal.

Have you considered a Holter? It will put your mind at ease. the 24 hr monitor will show you your highest HR and lowest, for me it was 158 and 48. Can you believe it? But it averages down to 86, which is perfectly normal. So maybe get one if you are worried.

Also a way of putting your mind at ease is to measure your HR when you've just woken up. Usually you would find it quite slow as you are still very relaxed. So it's fine. Your heart gets rest, don't worry about it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline dantescritic

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 05:46:55 PM »
I think you sound absolutely fine. My doctor once told me that her RHR is 90 and it goes up to 130 easily when moving around. Just how it is. My RHR used to be around 90-110 when I was going through particularly bad period of anxiety, now it's more 70-80. And it easily goes up to 110-130 when moving around. When I stand, it's 100-120. I've been told it's all normal.

Have you considered a Holter? It will put your mind at ease. the 24 hr monitor will show you your highest HR and lowest, for me it was 158 and 48. Can you believe it? But it averages down to 86, which is perfectly normal. So maybe get one if you are worried.

Also a way of putting your mind at ease is to measure your HR when you've just woken up. Usually you would find it quite slow as you are still very relaxed. So it's fine. Your heart gets rest, don't worry about it.

Rosslyn that really does make me feel better, hope you didn't just say all that to make me feel better. But if you are telling the truth I really appreciate it.  Coming up stairs my heart rate is 150 but I didn't feel as bad as I asked my dad "Who is skinnier" to take his heart rate and at the top of the stairs it was 136! Not too different I guess.
Bookmark and Share

Alprazolam 0.5 2x daily
Lexapro 5mg daily

Still struggling

Offline idreamofskiba

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 07:46:57 PM »
I'm glad you asked this, as my heart rate is about the same. I've googled this topic to death and can't find a good answer. Happy to know I'm not alone!

When I check my heart rate first thing in the morning, it's usually 60, sometimes even in the high 50s. Sitting around it's anywhere from 80-100, but   usually up in the 90s. When I'm just walking around the house it's anywhere from 90 (rarely) to 120 - usually around 115 though. Walking up the stairs can bring it to 130 - 150. If I've eaten a big meal, it can get up to 150 just by standing up and walking around.

I've talked to my Dr. about this and I don't think she even believes me that it gets that high. I've had several EKGs. I've had a stress test (which they gave me the "liquid exercise" and it didn't even get that high. But every time I've had an EKG I'm laying down so of course my heart rate isn't that high.

Once in a while I'll have a day where I can walk around and it doesn't go over 100 like it usually does, and, while that's nice, I get nervous because it's not usual for me.

Who knows? Maybe it is normal and people just don't know it because they're not walking around checking their heart rates constantly (I check mine all throughout the day. I have a pulse oximeter, and a heart rate app on my phone. I also check it manually.)
Bookmark and Share

Online vardnas

• Rec's: 98
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 09:07:04 PM »
I think 115 bpm for being us and walking around is legit. It really all depends on a variety of factors, as marc said.

I'm no skinny-minny or anything, but I'm fairly fit, and when I go through periods of working out quite a bit, my resting rate is low, like in the 50s, yet when I get up and move around, it's usually over 100. Now, when I'm stressed and anxious, etc., it'll go up even higher, to the 130s or so. I know this is an old trope on this site, but if you were not so worked up about your heart, I guarantee your heart rate would probably go down. The heart's one of those things like breathing—as soon as you pay attention to it, it tends to go haywire. 

I'd say, and I mean this with best intentions, maybe it'd be a good idea not to check your pulse so much. Fixating on these types of things just make it worse. I mean, do you find that you're out of breath, or sweating or experiencing chest pains when you exert yourself? I'd imagine that these are much better indicators that something was "wrong" with your heart, not just your heart rate. Heart rate is just one of those things that varies so much depending on a variety of factors. Also, I think it's been said before here, but if you're stressed, the body is already sort of working from a deficit, so it's going to have to work harder to do simple tasks. That doesn't mean there's anything "wrong."

Hope this helps you!
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Tags: