Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: So scared I have C. Diff. infection or colon cancer  (Read 1120 times)

Offline kellysmum

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
So scared I have C. Diff. infection or colon cancer
« on: April 06, 2012, 11:57:01 AM »
I have been Googling for days and now I am a nervous wreck.  For years I have suffered from diarrhea caused by IBS, Metformin use, and Prilosec use.  I have used Imodium and Lomotil to control my symptoms.  About two months ago, I began having looser stools and lots of gas (I mean lots).  So I stopped taking the Prilosec 40 mg. about two weeks ago.  Since then, my diarrhea has gotten worse and I am more gassy than ever.

My last colonoscopy, which was in spring of 2009, was negative.  I am worried that I have developed colon cancer since then.  I am 47 so I'm in the right age group to develop it.  I also am worried that my long-term use of Prilosec, which has been linked to C.Diff. infections, has in fact caused me to develop C.Diff.  C. Diff. is an infection of the large intestine that is quite serious and can lead to death. 

I am freaking out so bad.  I am supposed to see my G.I. doc on Monday.  I've had problems with my marriage since last July.  Can that be what is causing this?  Do I need another colonoscopy?   Please help!
Bookmark and Share

Offline EverydaySunshine

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: So scared I have C. Diff. infection or colon cancer
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 04:53:33 PM »
I am willing to be its your IBS getting spun out of control - probably from your stress.  If you have been on the Prilosec for some time as well, it could be linked to your body just getting used to being without it - a very natural adjustment.

As for the Cancer worry, there is a reason that a negative result buys you 10 years until the next review - even being in your forties.  MAYBE more often if you have a strong family history, but I have never heard less than 5 years span.

C.Diff - That sucker sounds like a Google find to me!  Actually, I understand from family members who had C.Diff that it comes most often from folks who have had extended hospital stays...and I also understand that the symptoms of it are WAY WAY WAY worse than what you have described.  I wont tell you what they are, since I dont want to feed the anxiety beast.   :bigsmile:

If your GI says dont worry about it - then dont.  I seriously dont think you have anything to worry about.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Soliss

• Rec's: 12
  • Overthinking...bad...
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 05:07:57 PM »
Just up your fibre.  I keep recommending Metamucil.  Take one glass a day - in a therapeutic manner.  It seems to work for all kinds of digestive upsets (not just constipation).  I've the entire family try it...and it seems to help everyone.

I take it to aid with calcium absorption...so it does double time.
Bookmark and Share
When life gives you lemons, just make the damn lemonade and don't overthink it...

Offline kellysmum

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 05:57:23 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  The rational part of me (a very teeny-tiny part) thinks it is an IBS flare up, too.  But I've been Googling for hours and I got into a panic.  Googling certainly does feed the beast.   I can't believe my marital problems would be affecting my colon so severely.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Soliss

• Rec's: 12
  • Overthinking...bad...
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 05:59:40 PM »
Could be your diet too...I eat when I'm stressed...and tend to want carbs...carbs can also make the IBS worth...esp. if you have any gluten sensitivity and are snacking on a lot of wheat products...
Bookmark and Share
When life gives you lemons, just make the damn lemonade and don't overthink it...

Offline Lauren11

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 12:25:47 AM »
My 2 year old just got over c diff and he is fine. Unless you are very elderly you bounce back pretty quickly from it much like a stomach virus but  more diarrhea. I am not saying this because I think you have it but just to ease some of your fears. I too have diarrhea every day and horrible gas. I have ibs and I take metformin as well. I don't fear colon cancer it is just not on my list. I believe you are fine. Ha tends to super excite us into a fear of things that other people just ignore. I hope you start feeling better soon!
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 11:05:05 PM »
I don't know anything about C Diff, but it sounds really unlikely that you have colon cancer.  Unless your diarrhea is black, tarry and smells like death itself, you shouldn't worry about that diagnosis.  I have chronic digestive issues that fall under the IBS label, and sometimes they flare up after a particularly stressful event.  It can take weeks for things to get back under control.  I recommend eating more starches.  Rice and bananas are very binding. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: