Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Waking up with a swollen lip  (Read 14991 times)

Offline Mrs.G

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Waking up with a swollen lip
« on: March 24, 2012, 07:34:07 AM »
This morning when I woke up, my upper lip was swollen.  Not major swelling by any means, more like kinda puffy. It doesn't hurt. Isn't red or irritated. I do notice when I try to smile, it feels really tight in the middle where most of the swelling is. This isn't the first time it's happened, but it's been awhile since it has.  It seems to happen most often when I don't get much sleep, and wake up feeling really tired (and I didn't get as much sleep last night as I usually do).  Other times when this has happened (although it didn't this time), my eyes had sometimes been really puffy and and my whole face just kinda had swollen appearance. Usually it goes down within a couple hours of waking up.  I've only been up about an hour this morning, and so far my lip seems to be just a swollen as it was when I first woke.

I made the mistake of googling this morning (Bad, I know!), and everything seems to say allergic reaction.  Having an allergic reaction is one of my biggest fears, and has really affected my life.  I'm always feeling like my throat is closing, and I'm terrified to eat a lot of things now that I use to enjoy.  I am not allergic to anything that I am aware of.  I do have some seasonal allergies, but they are pretty mild.  I have no known food allergies, but am always terrified I have developed one. I'm really trying to not panic after right now, but google got me worried.  I really don't *think* it's an allergic reaction.  I don't have any hives, itching, or any other symptoms.  I didn't eat anything out of the ordinary last night.  We did stay out later than usual last night, and I woke up really tired. That seems to be the only reoccurring theme in this.  However, there have been other late nights out that I don't wake up with puffy lips and eyes.  I don't drink, so it's not from alcohol.  We did run to McDonald's, on our way home last night because we missed dinner from being out too long, and I ate right before I went to sleep.  I don't eat fast food often, and definitely not right before bed.  However, whenever I do get food from there, I always order the same thing, and have never had a reaction to it.

Does anyone have any idea what can cause this, or have experienced this before?  I'm really at a loss.  The idea that it could be an allergic reaction is sending me into a panic.  Even if it was a reaction, I don't know what it could possibly be to because I haven't had anything out of the ordinary.  I'm really trying to think about this rationally, but we all know how anxiety can go from 0 to 60 in a matter of seconds!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
Re: Waking up with a swollen lip
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 09:00:45 AM »
You may have irritated your lip when you were asleep. I once had an allergic reaction
to Amoxicillin and my palms and genital area began to itch. I also once had an allergic reaction to
seafood and my whole body turned sunburn red.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Soliss

• Rec's: 12
  • Overthinking...bad...
    • Poke This Member
Re: Waking up with a swollen lip
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 12:21:21 PM »
I agree...and it's likely not anything to be concerend about at all.

I have minor allergies - including food sensitivies (and a shellfish allergy)...annoying to be sure, but nothing to worry about...
Bookmark and Share
When life gives you lemons, just make the damn lemonade and don't overthink it...

Tags: